back to article Cloud-stitching startup pitches NVMe FPGAs for SSDs

Fast NVMe over Fabric access to flash arrays needs direct access to the target drives, bypassing the X86 array controller, for the lowest latency. FPGAs are being developed to do this. Startup Attala Systems is working in this area, and says it has a new vision for reinventing private and public cloud infrastructure. It has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how exactly do they reinvent "cloud"? Sounds like another HW vendor

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Gosh, CISC processors too slow for low level HW access so design RISC processor in FPGA

What is it about modern HW designers?

"I can't do it without a fully Turing complete processor in the chip. I might get into problems I can't solve."

Handy hint. Most low level protocols can be handled through Finite State Machines. The issues are error handling (which should be infrequent enough you can escalate to a higher level of processing) and the number of states, but state compression tools and design approaches have existed for decades.

Not really seeing the benefits here that scream "I need this in my life, NOW."

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Gosh, CISC processors too slow for low level HW access so design RISC processor in FPGA

But if it's not Turing complete then how will the developers use {insert flavour of month language here}?

Plus the sort of people who can program a finite state machine probably don't use agile or devops or whatever buzzword is getting VC funding this week.

Basically they're just not cool.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"Plus the sort of people who can program a finite state machine probably "

That's the thing about FSM's.

You don't program them.You implement them. In hardware. That's where you get the speed from.

Of course you can implement an FSM interpreter that navigates through a state table.

Which is what YACC or Bison are.

Mine's the one with the old digital design text with the chapter on "Mealy-Moore" systems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon