back to article Microsoft hits new low: Threatens to axe classic Paint from Windows 10

Satya Nadella had us all fooled but good with his kinder, gentler, people-empowering Microsoft act. But now we can see the company's reverted to type by threatening to kill venerable graphics app Paint after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. A new list of “Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators …

Page:

1. Len Goddard

The end

There goes the last Microsoft programme (apart from the actual windows OS) that I use. Really useful when you want to crop, resize and change format of an image. Nothing I can't do in the Gimp but simpler and quicker with Paint.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The end

Agreed.

Paint is exactly the kind of graphics app I use because i'm crap at art, but to be able to quickly draw a diagram (as I did last week to explain the difference between parallel and serial battery connections) that was crude but illustrated the point perfectly.

Try doing that in photoshop.

Ditto with windows movie maker.

I bet paint is about 20 meg, FFS MS, just keep it.

For shits and giggles if *nothing* else.

1. Jamesit

On Win XP it's under 400Kb

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

"On Win XP it's under 400Kb"

AND it WORKS BETTER because there's no GOSH DARNED FORNICATING FECAL-FACED DUCK-COITUS PILE OF EXCREMENT RIBBON BAR on it!!!

I was _VERY_ disappointed with Paint in Win 7. I stopped using it.

Watch Micro-shaft make it a UWP "the Store" "CRapp" and include ADS in it.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Alt-Printscreen

Start-Run MSPAINT

CTRL-V

Crop Marquee Select Crop

CTRL-A CTRL-C

Swtich to email

CTRL - V

Done.

1. nuked

Windows Key

"snip" <Enter>

Drag box

Copy -> Paste

Easier.

1. Lusty
                Pint

"Windows Key

"snip" <Enter>

Drag box

Copy -> Paste

Easier."

Actually snip always puts the picture in your clipboard anyway so no need to copy before pasting. You're much more correct than the other guys though, what a faff his life is!

2. Fuzz

snipping tool is what you need for taking screenshots. It's there on all supported versions of windows. It has built in tools for drawing on the screenshots. The newest versions added delayed activation so you can capture tooltips or menus in your screenshots, and lasso selection for ... not sure I've never wanted a badly hand drawn circular snapshot.

1. veti Silver badge

@Fuzz Re: The end

Actually, the snipping tool isn't "there on all supported versions". It's in Windows 7-10, sure, but not in Windows Server versions.

What I use for taking screenshots is Greenshot. (getgreenshot.org), which beats crap out of the Snipping Tool anyway - the editing tools are both easier to use and more powerful.

But the point is, neither of these things is guaranteed to be available on every machine. Paint - currently - is.

3. veti Silver badge

Windows Key

"snip" <Enter>

Have a downvote. Your instructions not only didn't work, they seem to have caused my left monitor to die. Thanks a bunch.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jason 24

Sometimes adding a little red circle of arrow to highlight a point helps. And if you have 3 screens you should ALWAYS crop what you are sending, don't want customers to see what you have in your browser tabs...., especially on those "home working" days....

1. Simon Harris

Not just cropping the edges, but often I need to paint out personal information from inside the image too - Paint is ideal for quickly doing that when I don't have the ages to spare that it takes for Gimp to start up.

1. Lusty

"but often I need to paint out personal information from inside the image too "

Use snip then, it has tools specifically for this scenario. In fact, I've not seen a single example in this thread where functionality isn't already better elsewhere. Perhaps Microsoft need to run an educational campagne. Maybe this is that campagne...

1. Simon Harris

Snip: scribble-scribble-scribble to delete something untidily.

MSPaint: 'select', drag cursor, delete - deleted with a nice tidy rectangle.

2. Kubla Cant

Perhaps Microsoft need to run an educational campagne. Maybe this is that campagne...

What's a "campagne"? Is it a fizzy wine? A stretch of countryside? A bedspread?

Perhaps Microsoft could enlighten us as part of an educational campaign.

1. kend1
                        Pint

Re: Kubla Cant

In less time than it took you to enter your ridicule, you could have Google the answer.

French: campagne English: campaign

cam·paign kam'pan/ noun

noun: campaign; plural noun: campaigns

1. a series of military operations intended to achieve a particular objective, confined to a particular area, or involving a specified type of fighting.

Au Revoir

2. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

What's a "campagne"? Is it a fizzy wine? A stretch of countryside? A bedspread?

As far as I can tell it's an escaped Dutchism :).

3. Anonymous Coward
                        Anonymous Coward

@Kubla C*nt I think it means someone who's a dick taking the mickey out of people on the Internet for their weaknesses such as dyslexia in order to make themselves feel better about being a worthless tossbag.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

We don't need to be wasting storage and bandwidth with unnecessary content.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Alt-Printscreen

Start-Run MSPAINT (etc

That was about the first thing I liked about macOS: no need to have a paint program in between.

That said, in the days I still used Windows I used the fact that the system had to be polluted with .NET anyway to my advantage and installed paint.net - MUCH better.

But yes, there goes another one. First EDLIN, now this..

:)

4. Rob Gr

1. Click in Search box

2. Type Sn..

3. Select "Snipping Tool"

4. Click New

5. Marquee select part of screen of interest.

6. Switch to email

7. Ctrl+V

Done

1. Danny 14

Paint is great for putting red circles around whatever you need to highlight though, not just cropping. It was guaranteed to be on all machines too.

Sure paint.net is a good tool but when you are uaing machines that are locked down and cant install 3rd party software then paint will do.

Stupid MS

1. Sampler

"not in active development anymore" - you mean it has been in active development for the past however many years since Windows 7 and not changing one iota - wow, wish I was on that team

2. Freddellmeister

Snipping tool is great, but cant capture most dialog windows, which PrtScn nails perfectly.

5. vistisen

start -run snip

CTRL-N

choose area

CTRL-C

switch to mail

CTRL-V

Done quicker

6. regregular

Using Snipping Tool saves a few steps out of this even.

Yet seeing paint go sucks.

7. RickDangerous

Or use Snipping Tool?

2. TonyJ

"...AND it WORKS BETTER because there's no GOSH DARNED FORNICATING FECAL-FACED DUCK-COITUS PILE OF EXCREMENT RIBBON BAR on it!!!.."

You know that LibreOffice 5.3 has the option of a Ribbon Bar, don't you??

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Thankfully well hidden :).

I can't believe anyone spent time creating that, but vive la differance, I guess.

1. TonyJ

"...I can't believe anyone spent time creating that, but vive la differance, I guess..."

I can. If you take users of MS Office now - ones that have used it for the last decade (or longer in many cases) and plump any version prior to 2007 in front of them and they would ask where anything was.

I've tried it.

Other comments along the lines of being ugly are also mentioned.

If you want LibreOffice to really be taken up then it has to be compatible with* and even mirror newer versions of MS Office.

*Yeah I know...even MS can't guarantee compatibility at times.

2. TonyJ

Haha some of you need lives or at the very least to chill out more.

Downvotes for point out a fact.

Hilarious.

3. Someone Else Silver badge
              Flame

@TonyJ -- Re: The end

And you know that it's optional, don't you??

1. TonyJ

Re: @TonyJ -- The end

"...And you know that it's optional, don't you??.."

Let me add emphasis seeing as you clearly missed the word OPTION.

2. Adam 1

> For shits and giggles if *nothing* else.

+1

Sure you can use snipping tool for screenshots. Gimp is great but hardly opens quickly and isn't necessarily on every machine you find yourself in front of. Sure Irfanview is the Notepad++ of graphics tools, but seriously, why not keep it around paint? I don't think anyone wants new features in it. Just let it live out it's days.

Next they'll be pulling calc.exe

1. Wila

They already pulled calc.exe.

What you get now on trying to run that is the shitty UWP alternative for calc.

3. Simon Harris

"20 meg"

Bombastic Bob has me beat with the XP size, but on my Windows 7 PC the executable comes it at 6676480 bytes - that's smaller than a lot of the pictures I've put through it.

4. Christian Berger

Actually I've just looked it up, and for some reason I cannot fathom it's around 6.5 Megabytes of code!

I mean, yes, it's got some new feature that Paint on real Windows (i.e. Windows 3.x) didn't have, but I doubt the PNG and JPEG code takes up 6.4 Megabytes.

Edit: That's on Windows 7.

1. Bronek Kozicki

I suspect 6MB is static linking to relatively recent MFC, while retaining all the symbols required to make the ribbon work. Not surprised Microsoft does not like MFC and would like to stop supporting their own apps which make use of it.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Unhappy

"I suspect 6MB is static linking to relatively recent MFC, while retaining all the symbols required to make the ribbon work."

I've noticed that MFC for DevStudio 2010 is WAY PIGGY compared to what it was for DevStudio '98 and I have yet to figure out why, or what benefits you actually get. That's with all of the ".Not" crap NOT linked up, and all of that. I think Micro-shaft intentionally polluted it with worthless GARBAGE and as such, it's becoming excess poundage to lug around.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. TVU Silver badge

"Paint is exactly the kind of graphics app I use because i'm crap at art, but to be able to quickly draw a diagram (as I did last week to explain the difference between parallel and serial battery connections) that was crude but illustrated the point perfectly.

Try doing that in photoshop.

Ditto with windows movie maker.

I bet paint is about 20 meg, FFS MS, just keep it."

^ Absolutely this. It's a straightforward and easy to use image editor and this decision is bonkers. The email addresses for the MS top dogs (see CEO Email) are out there so let them know what you think before it's too late.

1. Wayland

"^ Absolutely this. It's a straightforward and easy to use image editor and this decision is bonkers."

You have an implicit assumption. That because Paint is of benefit to people like us who treat it like part of the operating system for all sorts of useful things that this is something Microsoft would want.

1. So what are Microsoft getting out of this by indicating that they are removing it?

2. Do they in fact want to remove it or just create a reaction?

3. By removing a tool we use Microsoft make old time users less effective, is this what they want?

If you look at what Microsoft and Apple are doing with computers it's as if they want to either cripple the machines or cripple the people who have got fairly good at using them. These wounds won't affect people who are totally clueless nor people who are super smart who can do anything and everything on a computer. It just affects normal people with hard won computer competency.

6. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I've been using paint.NET for so long now I forgot it wasn't the actual paint program....

7. My Alter Ego

I'm crap at art too, so this video of somebody using MS paint to draw the Mona Lisa was even more impressive...

Mona Lisa drawn in MS Paint

8. 404

FYI: mspaint.exe is 6.16MB on Windows 8.1

9. Gritzwally Philbin

Is there not a way to grab the program itself and re-install it post-update?

Deprecated doesn't mean dead.. QuickTime7.6.6 has been deprecated since Snow Leopard in favor of QuickTimeX and I use the former *to this day* with the Perian codec pack installed, even under the High Sierra beta - it's my go to for anything not h265.

2. Thought About IT

No need to panic just yet. My MS Surface 4 still hasn't been automatically updated with the last Creators Update, so I don't expect to get the Fall update any time soon.

1. joed

No reason to panic at all. Just copy good old mspaint.exe, back it up to extra safe (encrypt the file in case MS liked to pull fast one) and keep using it. It does not depend on any external files (it works by itself in WinPE). Besides this there's already Internet community repackaging Windows accessories for user not keen on using blocky substitutes.

One should not cave in to MS force feeding us diet of crApps.

3. Paul

I'd suggest the rather excellent irfanview instead, it's very good at all the basics like cropping, rotating (does lossless jpeg rotate).

One feature I particularly like is being able to print image scaled to exact position and size on the paper.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like