back to article But how does our ransomware make you feel?

Ransomware crooks have become skilled psychological manipulators in their attempts to fleece victims of file-encrypting malware. Analysis of the psychology behind ransomware "splash screens", the initial warning screens of ransomware attacks, commissioned by SentinelOne, reveals how social engineering tactics are used by cyber …

1. Haku

Ransomware & victim's feelings?

I bet that shit would make a vegan want to kill.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Ransomware & victim's feelings?

"I bet that shit would make a vegan want to kill."

Vegans kill plants all the time. Cowardly bastards.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Ransomware & victim's feelings?

Forget "feelings" (another 'F' word as far as I'm concerned).

Besides, revenge is a dish that is best served COLD...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Time criticality"

Quite common among all fraudster. It's important to avoid the victim could reason calmly. Even vacuum cleaner sellers use that...

3. Aodhhan

This isn't RESEARCH its validating known work.

This isn't exactly new and cutting edge research items. Not only has this been studied and documented by various red teams, they've done a much better job of research without a PhD on the team.

There are a few items which aren't on his list which are huge. For instance "Curiosity"; as in appearing to have received an email & attachment (with 'juicy' info) meant for someone else.

Finally, how about the conclusion? Having a PhD is proof you can conduct in-depth ORIGINAL RESEARCH in order to present findings and objectives in a manner where others learn greatly from your efforts. To provide and prove NEW academic knowledge.

Going back over work which has been known for years without providing anything new isn't research... it's VALIDATION. This paper doesn't even present ideas to move forward to find new research or new views into psychology.

If you're truly a PhD in anything and value your own integrity... you wouldn't publish something like this and title it as "research".

1. jtaylor

Re: This isn't RESEARCH its validating known work.

"This isn't exactly new and cutting edge research items. Not only has this been studied and documented by various red teams, they've done a much better job of research without a PhD on the team."

Fascinating. Citations please.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: This isn't RESEARCH its validating known work.

I'm no psychology expert, but is that a huge chip on your shoulder?

Even if the "PhD on the team" as you call him (actually a senior lecturer) had published this in a journal, collating, reviewing, assessing and validating other research is in itself a bread and butter research activity. But he's not even doing that, he's producing a report he has been commissioned to write.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Attack of the psycho ransomware

"Ransomware crooks have become skilled psychological manipulators in their attempts to fleece victims of file-encrypting malware."

Is it possible to disable or totally uninstall bitlocker, the built-in encryption on Microsoft Windows?

5. TheElder

Is it possible to disable or totally uninstall bitlocker

Sure. Go into services.msc and disable "Bitlocker Drive Encryption Service" This will work on Win 7 Pro, 8 and 10 Pro. You can also disable "Encrypting File System". I currently have about 50 services disabled. If I need something I turn it on when I need it.

That won't help with most current encryptors as they are using their own code to do the encryption most of the time now. It does give a bit more security.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

A new business opportunity

Top ransomware author reveals secrets of writing more effective splash screens!

Shorten payment times and get bigger payments

Tells you which payment schemes are best for not getting caught!

Click on attached link to deposit payment and join the webinar.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. William Higinbotham

Kevin Mitnick wtote about all this in his books which are copy rrighted. Therefore all malware writers owe Mr Mitnick royalties:-)

9. DropBear
    WTF?

Why? What conceivable advantage can be derived from figuring out how many percent of motivation comes from which element of a piece of blackmail? Are they planning to make better ones? Oh, wait, they're not the ones writing the stuff is it. Are they planning to attempt to prevent the most potent ones from working? So how are they intending to intervene between the attacker (anonymous and outside their control) and the victim (anonymous and outside their control)? Do they plan to "educate"? How do they intend to get people careless enough to get infected in the first place care enough to read their pamphlets or whatever? Because if the conclusion ends up being "we need more ads with 'just don't pay'" that money has been well and truly wasted.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like