back to article Feature snatcher Microsoft tweaks OneDrive

Neither Apple nor Microsoft has a great history with their cloud graveyards consumer cloud file systems, tripping up users with frequent strategy lurches and abandoning features over the years. Microsoft made small amends this week: by adding, rather than taking away, a feature from OneDrive. OneDrive is the cloud file system …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nice*. How do I completely uninstal OneDrive?

*That's nice - saves me having to be rude and say "Feck off"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's nice*. How do I completely uninstal OneDrive?

Uninstall OneDrive in Windows 10

Select the Start button, type Programs in the search box, and then select Add or remove programs in the list of results.

Under Apps & features, find and select Microsoft OneDrive, and then select Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

The power of the internet search engine strikes once again

1. marc 9

But how do I uninstall OneDrive for Business? It's not listed.

1. RudderLessIT

I don't like how consumer OneDrive comes with Win10, especially for people with lower technical skills (what is this? what do I do with it? why does it do this?).

But why would you want to not run OneDrive for Business? I have set up all of our users, with a folder in their ODFB account and change the location of 'My Documents' to that OD folder - so now all of my users have their files backed up.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"so now all of my users have their files backed up".

I hope to *deity* you have another backup system in place.

2. AJ MacLeod

Yeah, you can uninstall it. Keeping it uninstalled is a bigger challenge...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Fall Creators Update"

For once, a US company has acknowledged life outside the US and it's actually going to be called "Autumn Creators Update"

Although it seems they don't believe anyone in the southern hemisphere uses it, as there is no "Spring Creator Update"

1. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

Re: "Fall Creators Update"

Apparently not.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/07/microsoft-fall-autumn-creators-update-real-name/

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Well, I hope the update doesn't cause people's PC's to fall over.

Am I rite? Eh? Eh?

3. Teiwaz

For once, a US company has acknowledged life outside the US

What? is this Never ending Story now?

Microsoft will produce simple, elegant bug free software that doesn't collect unnecessary info on its users first.

4. EddieD

I'm still wondering if I'm ever going to get Creators Update #1, as it has shown no sign of appearing on my Windows box.

There's no hurry, if anyone from Microsoft is listening. My box is currently working, I'd like it to stay that way.

1. DRue2514

Mine only installed last week, not that I wanted it.

First thing I needed to do was scan a document, but the software had gone and was listed as 'invalid'. Cue searching, downloading, rebooting...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's a type it should be fail not fall.

1. GrapeBunch

Fool Uptake Craters, Kilobaud EDition are we.

6. hitmouse

Apple re-forgets the Southern Hemisphere exists with every release that breaks daylight-saving again, and again and again.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do not use a Microsoft account in Windows 10

You need a Microsoft account to use OneDrive, Skype, the Windows Store, Cortana etc.

Then uninstall the components accordingly. There might be more in-depth tutorials and tools out there to thoroughly remove the preinstalled Microsoft crud, disable telemetry etc.

4. Paul Johnston
    Joke

Garage Band

It's all a big (kicker) conspiracy I tell you! <- (Insert favourite Fall song here)

1. Geoffrey W

Re: Garage Band

On the screen

Saw the Holy Ghost, I swear

On the screen

Where's the cursor?

Where's the eraser?...

What's a computer?

Eat y'self fitter

5. JimmyPage Silver badge

Alternatively

just fill up OneDrive with crap ...

6. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

Why is there Sharepoint AND onedrive? Can someone explain a) what the difference is and b) why there are two similar products from microsoft?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Sharepoint and OneDrive

What is the difference?

Easy peasy.

One is structured so that once something is put in it, you are guaranteed never to find it again while the other one is not. The latter is called OneDrive.

Just my own opinion based upon being forced to use it for the last five years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Re: Sharepoint and OneDrive

> One is structured so that once something is put in it, you are guaranteed never to find it again while the other one is not. The latter is called OneDrive.

One is structured so that every time someone in the office needs to set up a new site, they do so in a slightly different way to all other sites that your organisation might have.

Also, the structured one is fully searchable: results come back 10 at a time though so paging through a couple of thousand hits is impossible.

2. RudderLessIT

I think OneDrive/OneDrive For Business competes with Dropbox & others as a cloud file server - with other features, such as version history and web preview & editing online.

SharePoint is more a traditional CMS that also stores files. The search function will include your OneDrive account in the search results.

In terms of similar products, what is more confusing to me is the difference between SharePoint team sites; Office 365 groups and Microsoft Teams! They all do their things a bit different, but it's hard to explain to end users what they should know.

7. bed

Onedrive clients and servers

OneDrive is the cloud file system used by PC, HoloLens and Xbox and Windows Phone and Android and Iphone and, via a web browser, Linux. There are two versions of Onedrive - the 'home' version and the 'business' version which is a layer on top of Sharepoint.

Which version of server on what client was this article referring to?

8. Tom 38

Apple cloud storage

Bit rich to say that Apple's cloud storage is not well used, as almost every single iOS device is backed up to the cloud, seamlessly. It's one of the things that Apple do really well, replace or upgrade your phone and you walk out of the store with a new device that is also exactly your old phone.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharepoint, F****ng shoot it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like