back to article Apple hurls out patches for dozens of security holes in iOS, macOS

Apple has today released patches addressing roughly four dozen exploitable security vulnerabilities in iOS, macOS, and WatchOS. The iOS 10.3.3 update resolves 47 flaws for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, including multiple remote code execution holes in the WebKit browser engine. Fixes were also posted for the Apple Watch's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, No this can't be correct!

The god operating system has flaws, I am shocked - nay stunned. The world is ending....

anon for the obvious reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: God operating Sytem

The MacOS Kernel is there for all to see on Github.

https://github.com/opensource-apple/xnu

It was made like everything by mortals so naturally it has flaws.

The world won't end yet so you are safe for a few more days (unless DT gets fed up with the NORKS)

1. Pen-y-gors

'naturally it has flaws'?

Nah, you gets what you pays for - or should expect to.

At those prices I'd expect perfection!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> At those prices I'd expect perfection!

What prices? All Apple's OS's have been free for years...

2. Financegozu
      Unhappy

Re: No, No this can't be correct!

I really hope The Register puts a minimum age limit on their comment functionality, banning less than 14 year-olds ....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It would ban almost all the Linux fans...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jealous that an Apple patch is still news instead of routine?

Poking fun aside, that was 1.5GB and 30 minutes. iOS is easier - I'm on the beta programme so I've been running that for 1 or 2 weeks already..

4. anothercynic Silver badge

*YAWN* This shtick is getting old. We get that you don't like Apple. Get over it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But older phones (iPhone 5/6) will run like shit after installing ios10.x .. Just sayin'

2. Winkypop Silver badge

As the designated fam/friends IT support

It's update time!!!!

1. Justice
      Joke

Re: As the designated fam/friends IT support

"Mastodon!"

"Pterodactyl!"

"Triceratops""

"Sabre-Tooth Tiger!"

"iOS 10.3.3!"

3. Gavin Chester
    Thumb Up

Credit to Apple, At least they do updates.

My almost 5 year old Iphone 5 got the upgrade, I know it drops out of support in September with the new IOS 11, but how many other phone makers offer support for such an old device?

And yes you may be able to get custom or 3rd party Roms, but I'm referring to the original maker supporting there products longer than it takes Marketing to think up a new advert campaign for the latest shiny, shiny (I'm looking to you Sony!!)

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Credit to Apple, At least they do updates.

Precisely the reason I went back to iOS and Apple. I liked Android and had good experiences with Samsung and HTC devices, but the patching was ... patchy.

1. robin thakur 1

I did the same and went back to iOS. Whenever an OTA update came out on my old Android phones (rooted) if you clicked on yes to install it bricked the phones and the firmware needed reflashing and restoring (if the backup worked!).

It was at this point you realized that a phone these days isn't a cool piece of kit for tinkering with but a bloody necessity which you can't be without for 3 hours while it reflashes/restores...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My almost 5 year old Iphone 5 got the upgrade, I know it drops out of support in September with the new IOS 11, but how many other phone makers offer support for such an old device?

Try the beta test programme. For some reason they will allow a next iOS version on older hardware (at least, it happened with my kit).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC - beta test program "next iOS version on older hardware"

Umm, isn't that going to leave you on a beta version forever, when the official iOS 11.0 doesn't support your phone? If you stick with iOS 10.3.3 Apple will still issue an update for it if there's a major security issue (they do it rarely, but they have done it before) but if you have on iOS 11.0 beta you're SOL.

Plus don't the beta versions have debugging code added, making them run slower than release versions?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC - beta test program "next iOS version on older hardware"

All valid points, so one by one:

* on a beta forever: yes, it is possible that my older devices will not load the upcoming iOS 11 betas, in which case I'm no better off than others. At that point I may have to decide to finally refresh that bit of kit. Still, it means they've had a good life, and the way I treat my gear it's still looks good enough to either fetch a good exchange price from Apple, or hand it down to someone who just needs a screen to browse. I have an iPhone 3GS somewhere that has been re-tasked as a remote camera :)

* debugging code makes things slower: not noticeably, although that may be because I'm used to it by now :).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Then you need to get out more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I love Apple.

I like Apple, but I reserve terms like love and hate for humans. Sometimes for the same person, because people can be like that :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"Fixes were also posted for the Apple Watch's WatchOS firmware"

So you'll need to remove it from the drawer, dust it off, charge it up and then update.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Fixes were also posted for the Apple Watch's WatchOS firmware"

To be honest, I'm actually shocked how often I come across it in the wild. I guess it's because the Breitling connected watches are a tad on the expensive side (think $8000, which will buy you quite a few Apple watches which actually do more).

That said, I think the Breitling watches look a LOT nicer but if I had $8000 spare I'd probably not spend it on a watch :).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Fixes were also posted for the Apple Watch's WatchOS firmware"

Apple Watch (Series 2) is a great product , which I own and use every day.

Perfect for getting latest breaking news headlines, checking train times, fitness tracker, paying stuff with Apple Pay and yes telling the time.

I had a Fitbit Surge before and the Apple Watch is miles better in functionality

Wish it could at least all week battery life but can live with the 2 days I get now. Does charge very quickly though.Once then invent better battery technology then that may happen, not going to happen anytime soon though.

6. Nexus1974

At least Apple update their products, cant be said for Samsung/HTC and the rest

The benefits of Apple eco system is that they can push out all updates to all their supported devices and they get updated.

Google updates Android and the updates appear on practically no devices due to the manufactures not pushing the updates out.

I do also like how now they push all the updates out to all devices at the same time (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Apple Watch, Mac), so only spend 1 night doing updates and it is pretty automated anyway.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Baiting fanbos is so easy

And boy do they bite!

8. silks

Good News!

Seems like good news, Apple sorting some vulns.

Not understanding some nagatives on the Reg forum - timely updates from Apple for users who bought devices many years ago seems like good news?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like