1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

New Column Width

Please can we have the old, bigger, column widths back? By my Mk1. eyeball, the main article text takes up just 50 of the white space width. (And much less if you're browser window is wider than the white space)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: New Column Width

Comments acknowledged - but give it a few days and - hopefully - you may get used to it.

BTW at the same time as changing article width - we also decluttered the right hand side. For most people this is a cleaner read. My understanding is that the reduced width also helps readability - although that may not apply to you...

1. Dakaix
        Thumb Down

I don't think anybody has a complaint about cleaning up the right side, but the proportions are all wrong.

On my browser a full screen window is 1519 pixels wide. The actual article only uses 520px... or 34% of my window. I'm sorry Drewc, but it looks daft.

1. jake Silver badge

I've given it some time, and it still looks ... well, not exactly bad, but "wrong" covers it. The best way I can describe it (for me!) is that the actual content looks lost on the page. On the other hand, if the columnists are paid by the column-inch, as in days of yore, perhaps they can buy me a pint next time I'm in San Francisco ...

The right hand side is fine. I never do anything with it anyway. Come to think of it, I hardly ever notice it's there anymore.

2. Aleph0
    Thumb Up

Seconded. To obviate this, the past two days I've been using the print option a lot more than usual, even if I have to enter the URL manually. If this goes on I'll have to write a userstyle for Stylish or somesuch...

1. Dakaix

Thirded. Looks rather bizzare now on high DPI screens, content is probably less than 45% of the browser width.

3. Prosthetic Conscience
    Thumb Up

Yes please or have some option to expand it back or something..

4. Rusty 1
    Unhappy

I thought at first it must be one of my browser addons that was interfering with the layout as surely no sane person would design a site to use half of the available horizontal space for content and paint the rest grey.

Much like the special individuals who record video of landscape-orientated events in portrait orientation on their phones.

Never thought El Reg would go all portrait on us. Why, just why?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon