back to article Let's go to work: How bots took over business

Once cloud was accepted as something with various meanings, none of which our customers understood, the IT industry searched for the next big buzzword. It came up with not one but three terms often used interchangeably by people who don't know any better – bots, artificial intelligence and machine learning. This is great news …

1. getHandle
    Paris Hilton

I feel left out

I'm not aware of interacting with a single bot...

Paris for the human touch!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I feel left out

I seriously considered recently whether an El reg commentard was a bot. The comments they made seemed very erudite - yet I wondered if that could be just "stock" replies triggered by certain keywords that had been mentioned.

What aroused my suspicions was the way things were often misinterpreted. Now that may just have been a human trolling - or was it a bot trolling?

It's getting to a strange state of affairs when you find yourself applying the Turing Test to online conversations.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For a second I thought you might be referring to amanfromMars1, until you said the comments seemed very erudite!

2. Chemical Bob
        Terminator

"I seriously considered recently whether an El reg commentard was a bot."

Sorry, I'm real.

1. myhandler

>>>Sorry, I'm real.

You would say that, wouldn't you?

1. Chemical Bob

It's better than requesting lemon curry.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  2. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

There are some...

Where it's up for debate if it's a man or machine behind the handle (Amanfrommars being an oft. touted example.)

As for telling most reg commentards are real is easy. Just imagine the words said as sarcastically as possible and if that makes more sense then they're real.

*Mines the one with the flack jacket sewn inside...

3. John Sanders
    Holmes

Just make a mention of systemd

And suddenly a horde of what could be described as irrational people pops in.

No way a bot will hate something it has no clue about as much as real people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like