back to article Uber borgs with Yandex's ride-sharing biz in Russosphere

Uber is getting a little bit of help in Russia and five other countries. Today, the lawsuit-ridden Valley dream announced that it's merging its ridesharing business in and around Russia with Yandex, the local search engine giant. The new company will be called "NewCo" and operate in 127 cities. Covered countries include …

1. Chris Hawkins
    Alien

Сопротивление бесполезно! I for one welcome our Russo-Californian Uberlords!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uber, taking the Tax out of Taxi...

Worse roads ahead.

3. ma1010
    Coat

Not likely to work for long

Once they get a close look at Uber, I expect that the Russian Mafia government will be shocked and horrified by Uber's total lack of ethics and moral values. The government will then boot Uber out of Russia for being a bad influence.

1. Alistair
      Windows

Re: Not likely to work for long

"Once they get a close look at Uber, I expect that the Russian Mafia government will be shocked and horrified by Yadex's total lack of disruption and evasion. The government will then boot Yandex out of Russia for not being a bad influence"

FTFY.

4. iromko

I'd think this means that Uber got an offer they couldn't refuse - give up your business for pittance or we'd take it anyway by force. I expect that in a couple of years, Yandex would take over the remaining 36% and be the only online taxi service in the entire russian sphere of influence. And FSB would have a handy tool to spy on all taxi rides.

1. Tail Up

Sir

A bloke enters a search phrase:

"Is FSB spying on me"?

"No", replies Yandex.

5. mr. deadlift

Yandex

aren't they those lovely folks hosting crypto cnc servers and payment methods to said baddies?

yeah lovely...

6. Tail Up
    Joke

NewCo!? Might've gained a booming popularity in NetHerLands.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like