back to article Dear racist Airbnb host, we've enrolled you in an Asian American studies course

An Airbnb host who cancelled a guest's booking at the last minute because she was Asian has been fined $5,000 and told to attend a course on Asian American studies. Tami Barker owns a mountain cabin in Big Bear, California, northeast of Los Angeles, and it was booked by law clerk Dyne Suh for a skiing weekend back in February …

Page:

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I call that a result

What kind of idiot makes comments like that when in the rental business - lucky to get away with still having a roof over their own house!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I call that a result

What kind of idiot makes a comment like that...

1. dougdaslug1

She sure shouldn't of used the foreigner remark for sure but I don't automatically believe she's racist, people boil over and say things they would take backi, after all she was willing to take remedial courses whether to lessen a harsher penalty, Ill give her good faith on that but, If someones going to come to my place of residence and not understand that they are guests I would have no problem telling them they're not welcome no matter how far or where they're from.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

She shouldn' HAVE used.

Ffs, children dont make that error.

Then you go on to to use correctly use "have" further in your statement. "Have" and "of" are not interchangable.

2. P. Lee

Was the cancellation behaviour-based, or based on some inherent physical attribute of the guest?

The late stage of the cancellation seems to indicate the former. Airbnb is meant to be cheap and simple. That lowers the bar for, "this isn't worth it."

I wonder what the defendant's view of Asians is now? Not just fussy but litigious too? Will she welcome them with open arms after her reeducation?

Meh, speculation without information is fun, but only useful at a theoretical level.

2. Mark 110

Yep - got what was deserved. Well, for that kind of behaviour they should have lost the property. Just nationalise it. Might make them think a little harder about being racist next time.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What kind of idiot makes comments like that when in the rental business"

In America they still have free speech. The punishment wasn't so much for the comments (which are not illegal there) as for the discrimination. The comments just helped prove it was discrimination...

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

"In America they still have free speech" I think you misunderstand what free speech is, it doesn't mean licence to abuse people or be racist, which so many Septics and quire a few Brits seem to think.

It arises from freedom to criticise the government of the day but has been hijacked to mean an excuse to be obnoxious.

1. Stuart21551

Yes - it is absolutely NOT 'freedom from responsibility' for what is said.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

""In America they still have free speech" I think you misunderstand what free speech is, it doesn't mean licence to abuse people or be racist "

Yes it does. Any limitations like that and it's no longer free speech by definition. The USA manages just fine without such restrictions.

4. Stevie

And yet I got roundly downvoted when I suggested a similar dimwit shaming for the moron who let a Bad Guy change details of an AT&T cotomer account without requiring proper credentials.

Go figger.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

lucky to get away with still having a roof over their own house!

Even for racism that is harsh, nay, idiotic, because it would have the opposite effect.

Now there is a fine and mandatory creation of clue via education, but if you take the house away, you have created a still ignorant but now dangerously fanatic racist because that person is not going to lay the blame by themselves.

6. werdsmith Silver badge

Half the Story

Stupid of the host to act like that and inexcusable, got what she deserved etc, but....

This is one sided reporting. First of all Barker accepted the booking knowing who the guest would be, from her name, profile etc.

Then there were frequent polite comms where the booking was changed, renegotiated. Two extra guests were added. Then the guest asked to bring a small dog, and the host said no because they have a pitbull in the house. Guest persisted and eventually the hosts agreed to remove their own dog from the house to accommodate the dog.

Messages on the day of arrival have been withheld by the guest (?? hmmm) but relationship broke down and became hostile, with the guest delaying arrival until 2AM-3AM. The host lost patience.

Some people haven't realised that an airBnB booking is not for a Howard Johnson, you are actually going to be a guest in someone's home.

So I think the reason they cancelled is because the guest really did mess them about, but still really stupid to use those words in doing so.

They had the opportunity to refuse the booking long before, and didn't, then went out of their way to accommodate the guests. Of course, nobody is interested in that.

1. PatientOne

Re: Half the Story

You missed out that there was also a disagreement over how much would be paid to cover the extra costs: Apparently it ended at $50 extra - and then more changes were demanded.

Adding in the extra detail does change perception of the incident. Barker was still wrong for the abusive response, but now it might be evident as to how it got to that point and, perhaps, how such incidents might be avoided in future: Better guidelines and support for the hosts so they have someone to ask if things start going sour.

2. Chris G

Contrition

Only applies to people who get caught, Barker's willingness to comply with her sentence is only to avoid more trouble.

If she had not been outed she would still be discriminating against all who don't fit her idea of 'not foreign'.

Other than human, non of our genes can be said to be of any pure race, racism is not only a crime it is crass ignorance.

1. tfewster
      Facepalm

Re: Contrition

Strange - "Barker" doesn't sound like a Native American name, and they're the only ones who can legitimately claim to be "not foreign"

1. Blake St. Claire

> Strange - "Barker" doesn't sound like a Native American name, and they're the only

> ones who can legitimately claim to be "not foreign"

Gotta wonder what you're smoking. Even the so called Native Americans came to the Americas from somewhere else.

Hence why I like the Canadian term "First Nations."

1. Stuart21551

Trudeau as POTUS?

Sounds good to me ;-)

2. TomG
        Thumb Down

"Native Americans" are not native either. They migrated from Russia/China through Alaska.

1. Phil W

""Native Americans" are not native either. They migrated from Russia/China through Alaska."

They were however the first humans to settle there, which short of evolving there in the first place is about as native as it gets.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Other than human, non of our genes can be said to be of any pure race

I have some bad news for you, Chris.

Significant fractions of modern humans' genome has been contributed through cross-breeding with Neanderthals and Denisovans. Both are different species from ours.

We are all mongrels, so live with it.

1. Chris G

Re: Other than human, non of our genes can be said to be of any pure race

Ac, that was exactly my point, we are all mongrels. A good, thing , the wider the gene pool the more opportunity for good outcomes rather than producing banjo players.

Apologies for my discrimination toward banjo players!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Significant fractions of modern humans' genome has been contributed through cross-breeding with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

Judging by Trump there has been a somewhat uneven distribution of genes then :)

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Significant fractions of modern humans' genome has been contributed through cross-breeding with Neanderthals and Denisovans. Both are different species from ours.

I hate to break it to you, but part of the definition of species is that two members of the same species can generate viable, fertile offspring.

By that measure, the two groups mentioned (and they must have had viable, fertile offpring for the genome to mix with H. Sapiens) can't be a separate species..

Separate sub-species sharing significant ancestry with H. Sapiens - yes. But not an entirely separate species.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I hate to break it to you, but part of the definition of species is that two members of the same species can generate viable, fertile offspring.

Actually, no, this is not how species is usually defined in modern biology.

I am just too lazy to type up the definition from a textbook, so I'll copy-paste the substantially identical text from the Wikipedia article on species:

Mayr's biological species concept

Ernst Mayr proposed the widely used Biological Species Concept.

Main article: Biological Species Concept

Most modern textbooks use Ernst Mayr's definition, known as the Biological Species Concept. It is also called a reproductive or isolation concept. This defines a species as groups of actually or potentially interbreeding natural populations, which are reproductively isolated from other such groups".[23]

It can be argued that this definition is a natural consequence of the effect of sexual reproduction on the dynamics of natural selection.[24][25][26][27] Mayr's definition excludes unusual or artificial matings that result from deliberate human action, or occur only in captivity, or that involve animals capable of mating but that do not normally do so in the wild.[23]

Many other definitions of species exist as well.

In any event, the definition of species boundary is rarely clear-cut, especially for the evolutionary closely-related organisms. In the case of the Homo genus, some authors consider Neanderthals and Denisovans to be species; others are more inclined to call them sub-species. Molecular biology evidence seems to suggest that both are sufficiently genetically distinct from modern humans to qualify as separate species.

3. SundogUK Silver badge

"Other than human, non of our genes can be said to be of any pure race"

That is simply untrue.

3. willi0000000

racism is a social construct and has no basis in biology . . . there is no "white" gene!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What about gene wilder?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What about gene wilder?"

He can't jump!

2. Captain Hogwash
        Alien

Also Gene Roddenberry?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Gene Hackman

Gene Kelly

Gene Pitney

Funnily enough there are no famous black Gene's.

1. Captain Hogwash

Re: no famous black Gene's.

You didn't look hard enough. American sport and music provide particularly rich pickings.

2. MondoMan

The basis in biology is not what you think...

It's in our brains -- our brains are wired to classify people into groups of "us" vs "them". It doesn't have to be skin color -- it could just as easily be motorcycle gear and a pompadour marking you as a Rocker.

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: The basis in biology is not what you think...

Sounds like the kind of thing a damn dirty Mod would say!

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Sounds like the kind of thing a damn dirty Mod would say!"
          As one does while suffering from Quadrophenia...

2. Tim Seventh
        Linux

I gave an upvote, but it is closer basis in psychology. Damn human behavior. If we were penguins or other pack animals, at least we would naturally work together to find food and stick together to survive winters.

icon, because penguin.

3. goldcd

Racism is a social construct

but it's pretty easy to work out 'race' from your genes...(or at least where in the world your last few hundred generations of ancestors have been hanging out).

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Racism is a social construct

but it's pretty easy to work out 'race' from your genes

Haplogroup != "race".. especially as there are considerable variations within what people consider a "race" - a "white British" person might well belong to a completely separate haplogroup from the "white British" person next to them) and the genetic markers.

4. phuzz Silver badge

Err, your skin colour is very much affected by your genes, all of which affect how, and how much, melanin is produced by your skin cells. It's worth noting that people with lighter skin, have ineffective, or faulty versions which cause their skin not to develop as much melanin as our (very distant) ancestors once did. It's hypothesised that although this leaves people more at risk of sun burn and skin cancers, it does allow them to produce more vitamin D in the lower levels of sunlight in the northern hemisphere.

Although, of course, the other large factor is how much time you spend in the sun, even I can get a respectable tan if I spend a lot of time outside in the sun and I'm pasty as fsck.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

t's hypothesised that although this leaves people more at risk of sun burn and skin cancers, it does allow them to produce more vitamin D in the lower levels of sunlight in the northern hemisphere.

In other words - it's an adaption to local conditions that allowed people who posessed that mutation to thrive in lower sunlight levels.

Noting mysterious or special about it.

5. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

there is no "white" gene!

Out of interest (and not wishing to give ammunition to the racist morons), is the expression of the melanin-producing gene epigenetic? Otherwise, there would have to be observable differences in the genome to account for the difference in expression.

(And I'm fully in agreement - the differences between the 'races'[1] is a matter of culture and upbringing, not base genetics)

[1] As you can see - I think that word isn't really meaningful..

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners."

"It's why we have <insert name of third generation German-American here>,"

1. Notas Badoff

Short-term memory

How many Americans know the ancestry of even their grandparents, much less great-grandparents?

For every single -ish or -ism trying to get to America in the past there were people actively opposing their ancestors. Every single religion, regionalism, language, or 'look', there were Americans hating them.

Why has this been forgotten?

Or... is it being 'celebrated'? :-((

We're the Benighted States of Unawareica!

1. MondoMan

Re: not EVERY single regionlism or language

I've never seen or heard of anyone on the US west coast complain about Australians -- we're even taking on their lingo!

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"I've never seen or heard of anyone on the US west coast complain about Australians -- we're even taking on their lingo!"
          Thieving bastards!

2. jgarry

Well, here's two guys: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Attacker-Gets-Light-Sentence-in-Fire-Pit-Beating.html

The discrimination rules are different if you are renting out a room in your house: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/discrimination.shtml

And yes, Big Bear is 100 miles east of LA. If you go west from the LA airport area, you'll be in the ocean. Big Bear even has the Time Bandit pirate ship: http://www.bigbearboating.com/pirate_ship.html

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Trollface

"we're even taking on their lingo!"

...and asserting copyright on it since no one else bothered to!

2. hplasm
        Coat

Re: Short-term memory

"How many Americans know the ancestry of even their grandparents, much less great-grandparents?"

Default 90% Irish 10% Cherokee, isn't it?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"insert name of third generation German-American here"

I must admit to being puzzled by the number of times I hear Americans refer to that sort of thing. Are they all ghettoised and stick with "their own"? Surely by the 3rd generation they are likely be even more mongrelised than their immigrant forebears in terms of mixed heritage.

One set of great grand parents were Irish. Another set were English but of French descent. Does that make me Irish-English, French-English or, as I prefer, just English (or British, or European (for now) as I choose)

1. Mark 85

One set of great grand parents were Irish. Another set were English but of French descent. Does that make me Irish-English, French-English or, as I prefer, just English (or British, or European (for now) as I choose)

As my father used to say: "What it makes you is American. We're all of the Heinz 57 breed."*

*I and many others of my generation understand the reference to "Heinz 57". I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to fathom its meaning. A good place to start is "mongrel" .

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon