back to article Speaking in Tech: What is a Windows 10 licence worth these days?

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Melissa Gurney is steering the nerdcast this week with co-hosts Ed Saipetch and Peter Smallbone to discuss Microsoft news, iPhone hacks and the shelf life of Kubernetes. The details… (0:00) Sky’s “instant” messenger support (5:55) Ring Floodlight, Android tablets, car …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dwarf

Whats a "Windows 10" ?

Not seen any of those things.

2. Snorlax Silver badge

Windows 10 Licence Worth?

Well you can still do the free upgrade from 7 and 8, so presumably only fools and those on licensing schemes are paying for the privilege.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 10 Licence Worth?

A Windows 10 licence has negative value. Microsoft should be paying you for all your personal data.

Do I bookmark? That's a combination of yes and no.

Yes because I don't trust social sites with yet more personal data. No because the social sites have destroyed the web so there's nothing left to bookmark.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Value? Zero, Zilch, Nowt.

You'd have to pay me oh about £500 to actually use Windows 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You'd have to pay me oh about £500 to actually use Windows 10".

It also begs the question, who's the one "using" Windows 10, you or Microsoft? Because "you" are the product.

2. Snorlax Silver badge

@massivelySerial: "A Windows 10 licence has negative value. Microsoft should be paying you for all your personal data."

Meh. Your ISP snoops on you too.... I don't read anybody bitching about that.

What else are you going to use? Linux is a joke. macOS isn't too bad, I've been warming to it lately.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So Linux is now a joke. Thanks for your contribution.

1. Snorlax Silver badge
            Trollface

@Anonymous Coward: "So Linux is now a joke. Thanks for your contribution."

You're welcome. Come back for another contribution any time AC.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Linux

FYI macOS is based on UNIX (Mach kernel) and FreeBSD 5.x's userland, which is very similar to Linux, with Apple's GUI stuff running as 'the window manager' essentially.

So, OSX is one of the "*nix" OS's, just like Linux.

but YOU say "Linux is a joke". Yeah, right.

1. Snorlax Silver badge

@bombastic bob: So, OSX is one of the "*nix" OS's, just like Linux.

macOS is based on BSD. linux isn't.

The reason that linux has only 1.7% of desktop market share is that normal everyday users want to get work done without dicking around at the command line all the time. The fact that you might enjoy that doesn't make you superior.

The linux cause is also not helped by the fact that its supporters come across as autistic know-it-alls every chance they get. I must admit I enjoy trolling them - they're so easy to wind up.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"I moved macros to LibreOffice quite simply"

"- a blog article helped here."... Please share link to the blog...

2. Updraft102

"The linux cause is also not helped by the fact that its supporters come across as autistic know-it-alls every chance they get."

Would still be a major improvement for you to come across in that way. wouldn't it?

3. TVU Silver badge

"The reason that linux has only 1.7% of desktop market share is that normal everyday users want to get work done without dicking around at the command line all the time. The fact that you might enjoy that doesn't make you superior."

That outdated FUD is just so yesterday.

For your information, there are now distributions aimed at Windows converts, e.g. Linux Mint, Zorin, Linux Lite, etc. that do not require use of the command line not least because they have easy to use app centres for software. Furthermore, the last time I checked, Linux had two-thirds of the market share of macOS Sierra.

I can get all my professional work done on a perfectly stable Linux platform with Softmaker Office, Pixeluvo, etc. without having to be concerned about malware and maintaince (Windows) or periodic kernel panics (macOS).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Paying to have such a privilege would amount to the same as paying for the privilege of having an STD.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is a windows 10 licence worth ?

How do put a monetary value on herpes ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost Of Windows 10

>Hi, Horse manure costs £4.37 per 50 litres :.....

You're talking shit, bye.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Cost Of Windows 10

There is nothing wrong with Horse Shit/Manure. 50p a Bag from my local stables, bring your own bags and shovel.

It makes more sense than Windows 10 can ever do.

4. Ramazan
    Paris Hilton

Does original X-Com / UFO work on Windows 10?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes it does. In DOSBox since it was a DOS game.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Windows 10 license is worthless. I thought everyone knew that ..!

6. Herby

Manure??

True story: I was working at the "calf lab" (part of the medicine department) of a major university. As is well known, calves produce manure, and since it accumulates it needs to be gotten rid of. Rather than lab workers doing this (somewhat messy) task, someone suggested an advert in the student daily paper. After recovering from the phone ringing off the hook for "organic manure", inquirers were pointed to the corner of the corral and told that it was very "self serve". Yes, I did see a couple with long boots pitchforking waste products into a nice garbage bag.

Yes, that's what I think a Windows 10 license is worth. At my home we use Andersen windows actually.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nothing.

It's worth nothing.

8. Shades

"Anyone fancy a Phillips CM8833 mkii?"

Mine is still in the loft, but thanks anyway.

9. Sebastian Brosig

Mainframe in 20 years

Wow... i'm going to start a crowdfunding project to connect a Ouija board directly to the IBM/360 architecture.

10. Lion

W10 delivers lopsided value

There are people who grabbed a W10 license using their existing W7 or W8 license during the GWX campaign and they immediately reverted back to W7/8. It was just to take advantage of a freebie. On having done so they were counted as a W10 user even though they have never used W10. That was very valuable to Microsoft as it inflated the W10 adoptee count. Assuming that these freebie grabbers will wait until W7/8 goes EOL to actually use W10, the bean counters will project that as a W7/8 decline and a W10 uptake. That is of huge value to Microsoft. It basically means that they get to exploit a single W10 license twice.

For the user, W10 delivers new function and there are improvements over previous versions. For that the license has value. However, it's worth is diminished by incessant data collection and the sordid usage of that data.

W10 delivers more worth, more usefulness and more importance to Microsoft than it does to the user. It is all way too one-sided.

This topic is closed for new posts.