back to article Brit SAP user group seeking more line-of-business members

The new chairman of the UK and Ireland's SAP User Group (UKISUG) is looking to boost its number of line-of-business users, in response to "changes" in the IT department's role in organisations. Paul Cooper, who has taken on the role after being vice-chairman since 2013, told The Register that the group, which has around 5,000 …

1. Alan Bourke

I never fail to be amazed

that corporates still use SAP.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: I never fail to be amazed

I don't think there are that many alternatives TBH. I'd rather use SAP than some of the Oracle stuff though

2. Mark 110

And what would you use instead?

It would be a vast undertaking for someone like Unilever to migrate their hundreds of factories, 10s of thousands of staff, hundreds of suppliers and customers onto something new. Completely re-engineer all their Logistics, Supply Chain, Marketing and BI.

What would be the benefit?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What would be the benefit?

Saving millions in licencing fees charged under wilfully opaque agreements?

Having a system that isn't a complete shit for users to interact with?

Error messages that might actually mean something?

IT that you commission yourself to match your business processes, rather than the other way round?

No extortionate, complex, risky "upgrades" when the shitbag ERP vendor tells you your current system is no longer supported?

Having an application that isn't such a dog that normal users simply can't raise orders or pay invoices?

An interface that doesn't look and behave like something from the last century?

Being able to change the actual underlying code when business needs require that?

1. arthoss

You're calling out ideas that would fit any big name software but what software would do all that? Like it or not SAP is the best ERP software. Whatever else will have its problems and more, the moment it can do all that SAP can. Underlying code can ALWAYS be changed in SAP. Get help for you SAP installation - maybe a couple of specialized boutique companies instead of the big names.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

More money to implement and maintain than actual value brought to the business. A bit like some board members.

Board people don't seem to mind though, it's a familiar comfortable name that they've lived with for years. Sounds a bit like another major provider of business software.....

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They can go and put a [project] together and roll it out almost without the IT department's involvement and from next year earn their employers big fines under GDPR.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like