back to article Microsoft drops Office 365 for biz. Now it's just Microsoft 365. Word

Microsoft is squishing its major biz products into a single solution called – wait for it – Microsoft 365, CEO Satya Nadella announced at Inspire, Redmond's annual event for businesses that flog its wares. Not a single chair was flung, we can report. Office 365, Windows 10, and enterprise mobility and security, will be peddled …

Page:

1. Alister

So does this mean that Windows 10 will become a subscription based offering?

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Windows

Welcome to Microsoft's "new", more obvious, rentier capitalist model...

2. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

There's a video of this here.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

That would never happen.

Insert coin to continue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

Drink verification can

4. PVecchi

As we all expected

Microsoft 365 Business... integrates Office 365 Business Premium with tailored security and management features from Windows 10 and Enterprise Mobility + Security....

... priced at US $20 per user, per month.

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2017/07/10/introducing-microsoft-365/?utm_source=IPreferLinux

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: As we all expected

Did you just mention Windows and Security in the same sentence?? LOL..

Windows is the new burning platform. It's burning more than it ever has done.

5. WolfFan Silver badge

So does this mean that Windows 10 will become a subscription based offering?

Yes.

6. Jonathan 27

No one is willing to pay for an OS now, they're certainly not willing to pay for updates on a yearly basis.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Big Brother

"No one is willing to pay for an OS now, they're certainly not willing to pay for updates on a yearly basis."

I wish it were true. But... THIS time Micro-shaft can get around the anti-trust stuff (because Linux, Libre Office, Mozilla, Chrome, Apache, gcc+tools, etc. are all FREE) to addict everyone into a subscription model for the entire pile, OS, software, intarweb, social media, *BUNDLED*. It's coming. They just have to accustom us frogs to the lukewarm water before they can crank up the heat.

One Subscription to rule them all (etc.)

1. wallaby

And here he is again,

Mr Microshaft himself.... give a big Yawn to Bombastic Bob

tedium tedium snore

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We said that was going to happen when win 10 was first foisted on to the unsuspecting public, After all how were they supposed to make money from a 'free' operating system?

1. dan1980

I don't think Windows 10 as a whole will be subscription only. Instead, I think that certain features will.

And this is the big issue with FORCED updates. Recall a recent update which removed the group-policy for disabling the Windows Store from Win 10 Pro, relegating it to the Enterprise version, which requires an extra license.

This license will now be available via subscription.

Cue the removal of more and more features from perpetual-license versions, no doubt, perhaps even culminating with the only perpetual-license version being the home edition, with all Pro/Enterprise functionality requiring a subscription.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've said it before, worth mentioning again.

Windows will become a 'freemium' product. Those of you who have played one of those 'free-to-play' online games will know.

Certain enterprise/'pro' features are unavailable unless you pay a subscription to unlock them. Certain features on the Home edition of Windows will also be siphoned into the new pricing model, albeit at a cheaper price.

Coming to a future forced Windows 'anniversary' update, to bring you more 'innovation'. Ah, now you see why you can't turn off Windows updates indefinitely, and setting up your connection as a 'metered connection' won't save you.

Think this is impossible? Read the revised EULA of Windows 10 again. You don't own the Windows software. Windows as a Service.

Not too long ago, we also thought a Snapchat-like transformation of Skype would be unfathomable.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: I've said it before, worth mentioning again.

I think it is possible that Windows becomes a freeium product. Essentially meaning companies will pay and consumers will not.... Only if Chromebook continues to cut into their market share though, which is likely. Not really sure that it works for MSFT though. People who buy CB generally do so bc they like CB, not because they can save 20%. Most consumer users, not all but most, just do not need the thick OS like Windows. That's why they use their phones for most things. Windows, or thick OSs in general, are just becoming a niche product.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't think Windows 10 as a whole will be subscription only. Instead, I think that certain features will.

I think you're right. They will only charge for booting. It's Windows, so that'll be a daily charge..

2. Alister

We said that was going to happen when win 10 was first foisted on to the unsuspecting public,

Yes we did, and if I recall, at the time, Microsoft vehemently denied it...

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 was declared the 'last version of Windows'

What do you think?

The writing was already on the wall when Microsoft refused to sell boxed versions of Windows 10, and the USB stick Windows 10 was unavailable in many countries. The only way you could get Windows 10 was buying a new device, or doing a 'Steam-style' digital download, notably those Windows 7/8 users who had succumbed to the 'upgrade to Windows 10' nagware during that one-year free upgrade period.

I can't wait for ReactOS or some Windows alternative to run all legacy/current Win32 programs effectively, minus all the 'Microsoft cloud ecosystem' nonsense from SatNad. It shall become an emulator not unlike a retro video game emulator for Sega and Nintendo games, while the rest of the world moves on without Microsoft.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Re: Windows 10 was declared the 'last version of Windows'

"The writing was already on the wall when Microsoft refused to sell boxed versions of Windows 10"

There this little company called Amazon, apparently they may be able to help you get it.

9. J. R. Hartley

Windows 10?

Never heard of her.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is Microsoft 365?

Control. A system built to keep us under control, in order to change a human being into this: *Holds up C battery*

1. Spacedman
      Facepalm

Re: What is Microsoft 365?

A C# battery, surely?

1. Daniel von Asmuth
        Paris Hilton

That would be a C:\ battery.

....dows that mean all customers must upgrade to an XBOX 365?

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Coat

....dows that mean all customers must upgrade to an XBOX 365?

No, but when the battery dies, you get a bonus MSFT product - Ex-cell.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

"all customers must upgrade to an XBOX 365"

SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... they don't need any *MORE* ideas [these are bad enough]

2. yoganmahew

Slow, really, really slow. I reckon it's a way to increase the number of white collar jobs in a given office. My productivity must be down some percentage points since my company switched to it.

3. I_am_Chris

Leap years

What happens on leap years? Does everyone have an extra holiday and hope that all the SNAFUs will be fixed by 1st March?

1. picturethis
      FAIL

Re: Leap years

You'll need to purchase the Office 365.25 plan. This plan will only be announced / available after March 1st, 2020.

(A Fail icon for a failure on so many fronts...)

2. This is my handle
      Joke

Re: Leap years

You mean March 0th, or at least that's what the old APL programming language called it (or was it PL/1?). :-)

4. Anonymous Custard
    Paris Hilton

Thesaurus time?

will be peddled in two flavours: Microsoft 365 Enterprise and Microsoft 365 Business

And there was me thinking Enterprises were businesses, at least outside Star Trek?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Thesaurus time?

You see, Microsoft 365 Enterprise is on a 5-year mission to explore strange new value propositions, to seek out new customers and applications, to boldly grow as no scam spawned before!!

Meanwhile, Microsoft 365 Business dispenses with all the romance of discover and unemotionally operates in keeping with the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Thesaurus time?

Rule #1 - Once you have their money, you never give it back.

5. marc@marcwall.com

Let's see.

Only time will tell , these revenue models will continue to keep changing. As we get caught up to race to the bottom. I suspect that there will payment issues. Also what are the terms 7 days 90 days? who knows!

6. wolfetone Silver badge

Microsoft 365?

So what are they going to do for the 4 days in the year when their server keel over?

1. Hans 1
      Coat

Re: Microsoft 365?

We are almost mid-July, and I have experienced roughly 40 days of outage this year alone ... so Office 320 now becomes Microsoft 320 ...

We all saw this coming before 10 even launched ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't forget the mandatory off-day in a leap year.

2. sabroni Silver badge

MS' figures are here, supposedly: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-trust-center-operations

Got any history documentation for your 40 days claim?

1. rmason

we use o365 over several business in our group. some standalone and some hybrid. There haven't been 40 days outage in the last several years combined, I don't think, let alone this year alone.

You've* done something wrong. Several times probably.

*You the place you work at, not you the person, unless they are one and the same

1. hplasm
            Gimp

"You've* done something wrong. Several times probably."

Bought Microsoft?

2. Vince

Yeah so the problem you're missing is that Office 365/Microsoft 365/BOPS/Exchange Online/whatever we called it now is often down for smaller subsets of customers rather than giant cluster-**** outages, and they don't get shown on the global data and status.

There are issues very regularly, with everything from provisioning users to missing calendars and everything in-between.

You might not notice all of them as they don't affect everyone, or you don't use that feature/service/function and so on but they're there - it's notorious for random mini outages

3. M_W

I would suggest your issues don't lie in the MS end of the platform. I've been a 365 user for 6 years, and seen maybe 3 days of outage total in 6 years (granted - there was a couple of hours the other day) - as much as I love to give MS some stick, the 365 platform is pretty rock solid tbh.

The main issues I've seen with O365 is when the local IT don't know how to manage ADFS and DirSync/AAD Connect and make the platform look broken when it's actually the local AD/Authentication that's snookered.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> The main issues I've seen with O365 is when the local IT don't know

Down time is down time, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. If they've made it so complicated that the local IT dept can't keep it running it's still down time.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There have been some pretty major outages of Office365 in the US, several of them over the past few years. The problem is that Exchange was never designed to be web scale. There was no web scale when Exchange came out. MSFT could have re written the back end and probably should have, but they wanted to get it to market quickly, as Google was/is moving fast, and sticking with legacy Exchange simplified to some extent the process of moving people.

1. robin thakur 1

We had a regional outage on authentication in Azure which borked up not just the SharePoint Online and Dynamics/Office365 access but also our on-prem stuff as that uses AAD in the authentication stage as well via ADFS. This was not reported on the Health page in Office 365 and were it not for an embedded MS employee that alerted us we'd have been none the wiser. This seems almost like a tactic of MS's to avoid people noticing what the real uptime is. If it only reports system-wide outages, that's not really being transparent is it?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"There have been some pretty major outages of Office365 in the US, several of them over the past few years. The problem is that Exchange was never designed to be web scale."

Exchange has been designed for hosting / multi-tenant deployments for about a decade now. It's a scale out model so there really are no practical limits on scalability as long as you can throw additional VMs at it when needed... Current recommended per instance limits are 192GB RAM and 24 processor cores. (Microsoft have said that the supported core count will be upped in the future.)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As if they didn't have enough

SKU's already... (Subscription Katalogue Units)

Inevitable, there will be plenty of

"I'm sorry Mr Customer, the Subscription that you are on does not include updates or support. We will be pleased to quote you for another SKU."

"An upgrade then?"

"Upgrades? No. A totally new subscription that by the way has fewer benefits that your existing SKU."

"Fewer? WTF?"

"Yes. But you get updates with this one."

"But we need [insert product name]. That was in the old SKU."

"Yes it was nut we don't offer that any more. To get that product and support and updates, you will need to sell two legs and a kidney. Sign here. Abstraction will be painless."

A little joke but could it be possible? It is impossible to tell what the MS Marketing wonks will come up with next.

1. Joe User
      Flame

Re: As if they didn't have enough

Sounds a lot like my damned cable TV company/local monopoly.

"Oh, you want channel A? It has been repositioned in our channel line-up and is now available in bundle X and above."

"Why can't I simply choose the few channels that I watch and just pay for them? I don't need any of those others."

"I'm sorry, we only offer select channel bundles."

<Sigh> "Okay, I guess I'll take bundle X for $50 a month."

"I'm looking at your account. In order to get bundle X, you have to add phone service and increase your data speed to 1 gigabit."

"But I don't need phone service, and 100 megabits is fine for my needs."

"Bundle X is tied to those services. We have no way to separate them."

Etc., etc., ad nauseam. My cable TV company uses 2 shovels to fling all their bullshit....

1. Charles 9

Well, to be fair, the cable companies get shafted, too. The channels themselves are owned by a few major conglomerates. For example, Discovery, TLC, ID, and a bunch of others are owned by one company, Disney owns the ESPN networks, all Disney networks, and several others (including the one that's still contracted to air The 700 Club). Basically put, THEY won't let the cable companies go a la carte, either (Especially Disney. They KNOW they hold one of the most demanded cable channels and make it a Hobson's Choice--you want ESPN? You take ALL our channels...OR NONE. Leave us and watch your customers defect).

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Subscription Katalogue Units"

I read that as "Subscription Kafkesque Units".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

> "Subscription Katalogue Units"

> I read that as "Subscription Kafkesque Units".

Subscription Kellogg Units - nice and crisp to start but they soon turn into a soggy mess as MS milks them

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like