nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
DARPA cracks wallet to open heads: Brain interface projects get Uncle Sam's backing

Silver badge
Happy

I have two things to say . . .

This.

But more seriously, this.

Gold badge
Unhappy

Clearly needs machine learning

Well, everything else these days seems to and y'know this really is a neural network people are talking about.

The 1 million neuron number is the sort of level you'd need to drive the optic nerve, once you'd figured out how to convert the image from a conventional sensor into one the brain can process.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Clearly needs machine learning

The 1 million neuron number is the sort of level you'd need to drive the optic nerve, once you'd figured out how to convert the image from a conventional sensor into one the brain can process.

Back in 1999 they figured out how to decode the visual info, at least in cats: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/471786.stm Encoding would seem to be a matter of reversing the process.

Silver badge

A wireless network inside my brain that interfaces with the neurons of said brain... and a metal hat to prevent interference from the guy next to me?

Bronze badge
Coat

Nah, just a metal funnel like the tin woodsman had...

Mine's the one with 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' in the pocket.

Silver badge

So when do I get my Neural Lace?

Technology in this regard is being very slow. Can't a computer just teach me Spanish in about 5 mins instead of all those annoying Spanish lessons (though the end of term party was quite fun on Saturday. The Polish girls were proper frisky).

[P.S. See the writing of the late and oh so fucking awesome Ian M Banks for further details on the Neural Lace]

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Re: So when do I get my Neural Lace?

Regarding the Polish girls ------->

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing