nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
May the excessive force be with you: Chap cuffed after Star Trek v Star Wars row turns bloody

Trollface

In a fight over...

Star Trek v Star Wars you post a picture of Babylon 5 (better than the other two?) but do have it as an option to question one. Are you trolling us?

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Snowy

Actually, ITYM Deep Space 5.

C.

Silver badge
Flame

DS9 was a rip of B5 because JMS gave paramount the series outline when he was pitching it to the various studios....

Anyway thats what Bester told me to write

The corps is mother, the corps is father

Silver badge
Heart

There needs to be a Holly icon for stating terribly obvious facts like this.

Can these icon thingies be hacked?

Silver badge
Coat

@diodesign

No, he clearly meant Babylon 5.

Check out the pics here if you have any more doubts.

Silver badge
Holmes

Bester would not tell you anything. You would coincidently share a transport with him, then somehow feel strongly about DS9 being a rip off. You'd never be sure how the thought got in your head.

Silver badge

Re: In a fight over...

"What Star Trek fan carries a pocket knife?"

An American that can't afford a gun?

Silver badge

If nothing else, Babylon 5 AND DS9 were both very very good (B5 wins IMHO).

Just watching B5 again after the death of Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi).

25 years on and its STILL damn good viewing.

Anonymous Coward

Bah! Farscape beats both Babylon 5 & DS9.

TRT
Silver badge

Lexx.

Big Brother

Kevin. I'm having heart palpitations. Yes, because of your icon, but more so your last comment. Hmm...

Silver badge

Re: Are you trolling us?

Yes, obviously.

Silver badge

"What Star Trek fan carries a pocket knife?"

One that can not do a Vulcan Nerve Pinch I should think.

https://youtu.be/auwSYKzQDdc

Silver badge

Lexx.

No joke icon?

Who voted for Star Trek being better than Star Wars? Name a time and a place. I'll see you fuckers later.

TRT
Silver badge

Absolutely not. It might not have been "serious" in terms of it having a high amusement content, but it was one of the best made SciFi series of all time, taking certain SciFi staples to their peak:

Bio-technology, Quasi-religious oppressive regimes, Sex-slavery, Parallel universes, Robotic/AI presence and use, Assassin class characters, Undead military personnel. I'm probably only scratching the surface of the tropes it carried.

Utterly absorbing and entertaining.

Silver badge

Re: Name a time and a place

Time: A long time ago

Place: In a galaxy far, far away

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Name a time and a place

What about Andromeda?!

OK OK, I'm leaving...

Silver badge

The corps is mother, the corps is father

"My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Bonus points if you can remember (without using a search engine) which book/series that was from..

The Babylon 5 picture is the most blatant act of trolling there has ever been. So much hate for that show

TRT
Silver badge

Wasn't bab5 rendered on an an Amiga rendering farm, though? Using... what was it? Damn my memory... Maya?

Silver badge

Re: "My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Re: "My mother was a test-tube, my father was a knife"

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum Sambucus

Silver badge

Friday - that can only be Heinlein "The corps is mother, the corps is father" - not sure. Never read Starship Troopers so going to make a wild guess.

Anonymous Coward

@ciderbuddy; Get a grip, man. Yes, it was trolling- but so obviously so that it's clearly a good natured joke most of us are going to get, like this or this.

No-one's actually insulting Babylon 5, which was a great show. I myself tuned in every week to watch Captain Rogers fight the Cylons. Happy memories...

"Just watching B5 again after the death of Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi)."

I watched all of B5 for the first time a couple of years back when they repeated them all on one of those "Ten Quid TV" channels. Might have been Watch, I can't remember. The whole story arc over series 1-4 was awesome, much better in many respects than Star Trek.

I never got into it at the time, I think because I was a student and didn't watch much TV.

I really hope that someday, someone re-renders all the CGI in high def and releases them on Blu ray.

Anyway we all know George La Forge was the best Babylon 5 character, and in his wise words: "Use the Force Harry"

Silver badge

'Wasn't bab5 rendered on an an Amiga rendering farm, though? Using... what was it? Damn my memory... Maya?'

NewTek LightWave 3D.

For the pilot and seasons 1-3 all special effects were done by Foundation Imaging, The networked Amiga's were only used for the pilot, for the rest they used 12 Pentium PCs and 5 DEC Alpha workstations for 3D rendering and design, and 3 Macs for on-set computer displays

From season four on-wards special effects were brought in-house to Netter Digital Imaging (a subsidiary of the B5's production company). I don't know what hardware they used but they did say like Foundation imaging they did use Lightwave 3D.

Silver badge

Babylon 5 gets my vote purely on the femme fatale talents of Lyta Alexander and Susan Ivanova

The lovely Friday (aka Marjorie Baldwin) - said that in a rather enthralling book of the same name.

Silver badge
Pint

Meh

The Star Wars trilogy was OK, I guess (apart from the one with the wombles). Such a shame they didn't make any more after RoTJ.

I will now simultaneously put my fingers in my ears and don my flameproof suit.

Beer, because it's Friday afternoon and we shouldn't take life too seriously.

Silver badge

Re: Meh

"RoTJ"

Rise of the Joe-jobs?

TRT
Silver badge

Rise of TJ Hooker.

Silver badge

The problem with star wars (now) is disney retcinning everything. Almost everything star wars has been destroyed by disney so star trek wins by default.

In fact a star trek lover can win any argument now by claiming only canon arguments count.

Joke

Read this in voice of yoda, you must!

Anonymous Coward

How wude!

Mesa day startin pretty okee-day with a brisky morning munchy, then BOOM! Gettin very scared and grabbin that Jedi and POW! Mesa here! Mesa gettin' very very scared!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: How wude!

Of all the JarJar (de)motivational posters I'll never forget the one with "meesa a stupid geeza" caption.

Anonymous Coward

Ewoks.f@$!$ Ewoks

Who are you people voting for Return of the Jedi? The film in which sentient teddy bears win the day. I thought people here were mostly of unusual intelligence

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Ewoks.f@$!$ Ewoks

Cos I'm a Star Trek fan and didn't know what to vote for out of the Star Wars choices. There should have been The Original Series as well as next generation in the last question of the poll too! :-)

Anonymous Coward

As long as the Empire designs stupid dinosaur-like vehicles.... everybody knows little children like teddy bear and dinosaur toys...

Silver badge

"Who are you people voting for Return of the Jedi? The film in which sentient teddy bears win the day."

Like the other episodes are any more credible?!

Silver badge

"There should have been The Original Series as well as next generation in the last question of the poll too! :-)"

I don't think including TOS as an option would have altered the results much.

Bronze badge

DS9 deliberately left off?

No contest

My vote for best goes to Bab5.

Silver badge
Angel

Re: No contest

"My vote for best goes to Bab5."
And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

Silver badge

> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

Pfft! Firefly was best.

> "My vote for best goes to Bab5."

> And mine goes to Battlestar Galactica.

>Pfft! Firefly was best

That would be Blakes 7.

mic drop

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing