back to article Boffins start work on data centre to analyse UK infrastructure

The UK has kicked off development of an £8m data analytics facility for national infrastructure systems like energy and water. The Data and Analytics Facility for National Infrastructure (DAFNI) will be built at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot near Oxford. The boffins working on the project will build …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DAFNI and...

I wonder if DAFNI will use Virtually Enhanced Logistical Machine Analysis in the project?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Joke

Re: DAFNI and...

Provided that they do not ask Scooby to manage it, it should all work out.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

SD would do a better job than anything commissioned and managed by government.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I wonder if DAFNI will use Virtually Enhanced Logistical Machine Analysis in the project?"

It'll use GIGO.

The water company seem to know more or less where their underground assets are round here. Gas and electricity have been rather puzzled.

Good luck with building a reliable database on that.

3. TRT Silver badge

It'll be overseen by the Funded Research Evaluation Department, of course. But in the end, it was the creepy janitor wearing a rubber mask.

2. James 51

£8m facility to help government identify and fix weaknesses

Was I alone in thinking that is an expensive mirror?

1. Franco

Not at all alone, my immediate thought was the chief consultant should be Guy Fawkes's ghost as he identified the problem in 1605.

3. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Yes but if it is still a lot cheaper than setting up a royal commission, guess they wanted an answer.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Until they get an answer they don't like, when funding will be withdrawn.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

DAFNI

Yeah, my though was also "Doesn't have a Scooby what's going on and usually gets taken hostage by the monster.."

However endless Scooby Doo jokes aside my next thought was "WTF, if you operate these sort of companies don't you know this yourselves?" Then again given how much of the UK's infrastructure (like all its water companies) is foreign owned, why should they give a s**t?

That said a shared resource of this kind could help identify inter network vulnerabilities, where a failure in one (EG small gas explosion) could have massive knock effects (severs main cables for multiple internet backbones, cuts power to pumping stations whateve).

Making this the ideal target to get into if you wanted to know exactly what sites you needed to attack in order to run the "Fire sale" scenario of Die Hard 4.00.

So I guess the first piece of infrastructure vulnerability analysis they should do is on themselves.

I guess UK readers will find out in due course if their physical and cyber security precautions are fit for purpose.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need to spend £8 mil

"was to provide the methodology to analyse and prioritise work on national infrastructure."

That's easy to see, the closer the national infrastructure is to London, the higher the priority it gets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No need to spend £8 mil

If they are looking at energy that has already been done by http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ but they won't look at that because it doesn't follow the agreed agenda of wasting money on unreliables.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"the agreed agenda of wasting money on unreliables."

"unreliables."

I like that.

Although some systems (micro hydro, anaerobic digestion, tidal) can be reliable, or at least predictable, in ways the big money drainers are not.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: No need to spend £8 mil

" the closer the national infrastructure is to London, the higher the priority it gets."

Cardiff and Edinburgh will also be prioritised.

6. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Gas Board

My sister joined the gas board as an engineering graduate in the late 70s. There were a bunch of retired workers who made a good living acting as consultants when work on the older gas mains was required.

I take my hat off to them. They trod a very fine line, never being able to remember enough to make a definitive map but not being so forgetful as to be dismissed when the Gas Board needed to open the main road surface.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like