back to article Feelin' safe and snug on Linux while the Windows world burns? Stop that

The ransomware problems reported by The Reg over the past few weeks are enough to make you, er, wanna cry. Yet all that's happened is that known issues with Windows machines – desktop and server – have now come to everyone's attention and the bandwidth out of Microsoft's Windows Update servers has likely increased a bit relative …

Page:

1. jake Silver badge

Safe & snug? Not when connected to teh Tubes, no.

But a healthy dose of measured paranoia seems to have managed to keep my connected life as boring as possible all these decades. Ta for asking.

1. kainwilliam

update

Very informative thread.

2. Steve Button Silver badge

about 12 per cent of servers run non-Windows OSs!?

Seriously?

That doesn't smell right at all.

1. WibbleMe

Re: about 12 per cent of servers run non-Windows OSs!?

Perhaps for security reasons people hide the server type tag on a Linux distro as part of PCI compliance so you have no idea what server a website is running on.

Did anyone bother to count the Linux Kernal in Android phones? Something like 432 million smartphones in 2016

1. Timmy B

"Did anyone bother to count the Linux Kernal in Android phones? Something like 432 million smartphones in 2016"

Not servers are they?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Not servers are they?"

Maybe not by name, but for all intents and purposes they (Android devices) appear as 'Conduited Data Servers' to Google at least if you get my drift.

1. 1Rafayal

Still not servers though, are they?

I would imagine that there are very few Android devices out there acting as web servers, or email servers on a regular basis.

2. e^iπ+1=0

'Conduited Data Servers' to Hooli.

Is this a plot from "Silicon Valley"?

2. simonb_london

"Not servers are they?" ..... unless they are .... hacked??!!

2. Raumkraut

Seriously?

That doesn't smell right at all.

Check the source, and the data set.

That 12% figure comes from Spiceworks, who provide server monitoring software. Server monitoring software which can only be installed on Windows.

So it's far more likely that what this particular statistic is actually indicating, is that Windows-centric companies use something other than Windows on 12% of their servers.

3. Jonathan 27

That number is just as ridiculous as the web statistics companies that claim 90%+ of web servers run Linux. Their methodology is bunk, because SpiceWorks has no way of knowing what servers people who aren't their clients are using. Just like the web statistics companies only detect the OS on edge node servers so if you use a Linux-based web balancer (like almost everyone does regardless of app server) they think you're running Linux.

You're right to be skeptical of statistics like this, because they're in general, totally unreliable. No one has enough data to compile such wide-ranging statistics.

1. John Styles

The only people who really know what OSs people run / what they develop in etc. are people who have done expensive market research, and people who have bought their reports, if anyone has actually done that expensive research.

1. tom dial Silver badge

It is a reasonably good bet that the Five Eyes and similar signals intelligence agencies elsewhere have done the research and have a good idea of real usage, as well as the usage among their respective target populations, which might be significantly different. For a number of reasons, however, they won't be publishing anything about it.

I expect that Google and other search portal operators also would be able to report such information pretty accurately.

2. LewisCowles1986

what makes you think spiceworks cares about anyone before they become a customer?

4. Daniel B.

Someone was wearing the Microsoft-tinted glasses when they made those stats.

5. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Thanks for the feedback - you're probably right that Spiceworks is biased in favor of Windows-centric orgs (it does offer Linux monitoring tools, though). It's something we'll keep in mind.

We've tidied up the section on Linux/Windows web server stats: there Unix-ish OSes rule the roost.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Thanks for the feedback - you're probably right that Spiceworks is biased in favor of Windows-centric orgs "

Forbes says 75% of company Servers run Windows which sounds about right to me, if not a bit low. Clearly the vast majority of most company servers run Windows anyway.

6. LewisCowles1986

It's BS is why it smells bad http://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-foundation-finds-enterprise-linux-growing-at-windows-expense/

One of the limiting factors on Windows servers outside of Azure & AWS is licensing costs. Nobody with their head screwed on is buying windows servers, they either rent Azure or AWS or are wasting money by not engaging brain.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Running Windows is like being spit roasted on a dusty gravel path by your step-dad and drunk, fat uncle Bubba.

1. chipsy

Fortunately, I've experienced neither!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And yet you keep accepting a lift home from them.....

3. pinhead29a

nice one mate.that made me chuckle to fsck.lmfao.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS Upgrades and Other Patches

I think the last time I had a major problem upgrading a CentOS server was with early releases of CentOS 6.0 or 6.1. After that in version (major version) updates drop in quite nicely.

The same can't be said for stuff that is not in the main OS release.

It seems that I have just finished testing a new release of Wordpress when another one is released. The problem is that WP like many other bits of software releases a complete new version. The update process is aimed (quite rightly) at those who use WP via a hosted system and you have to do it via some control panel (or worse). That does not work very well with my hosting my own WP server on an Intel NUC that sits on a shelf in my home office. So I have to manually update it, test it all and then switch over the HTTP server to use it. I just get that done and another PITA bit of work comes along. Rinse an repeat for thousands of other bits of software on systems all over the world and the scale of updating these essential bits of software is a OMG moment.

I'm lucky in that I have a test server (and old EE-Box) that I can use to make sure that the update works AND that I have only one internet facing server to deal with.

In a past job, I had many more to deal with and it was a right PITA. The OS wasn't the issue, it was everything else that caused us a great deal of angst and late nights.

Posting AC as my server gets enough hacking attempts as it is. Added another 500+ IP addys to the firewall only last week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OS Upgrades and Other Patches

Yeah, well, if you're using Wordpress it's hardly worth bothering to patch the OS :-)

That's a joke for the humour-impaired. But with more than a grain of truth, as someone who was once responsible for a Wordpress-driven site that got defaced. Turned out that a theme had bundled a plugin which had a vuln in it that had been patched 2+ years earlier, but the theme author hadn't updated the plugin. Of course, when someone found that unpatched plugin in said theme.....

Overall, I wouldn't trust Wordpress with anything important. Especially e-commerce, where you rapidly enter a maze of twisting plugins.

2. big_D Silver badge

My previous employer used the "never touch a running system" approach to their customers' machines.

They were still distributing new servers and VMs with a 2000 vintage version of SLES on it! Why? Because they didn't want to bother having to update their applications to run on more modern Kernels or system libraries. Security? Pah, it's Linux!

They only switched to a new distro (CentOS), when the hardware would no longer boot the ancient SLES / they couldn't get any RAID controllers with drivers that worked on the ancient SLES.

3. John Sanders
      Linux

Same experience here the last time I experienced any kind of issue with upgrades was on the transition from RHEL 6.0 to RHEL 6.1, in my case it was related to a blunder on LVM assuming certain defaults, you could work-around it easily and got fixed in 24h though.

This maybe shocking to Windows people, but usually upgrading a Linux server if you know what you are doing (this is if you're experienced) is completely painless and very, very quick.

The problems in Linux come with commercial software from 3rd parties, some which insist on using abnormally large amounts of shell scripts with lots and lots of assumptions (and no fail check whatsoever), seem to have odd libraries that have strange dependencies, and support personnel who think the Linux shell is a more complicated version of MS-DOS.

That is why some people keep running their RHEL 5.x boxes happily for years and years, it is for fear or screwing these applications.

One way in which people keep these stupid turds running is, they buy new hardware running RHEL 7.x, virtualise the old RHEL 5.x server, stick it in a VM and access it via proxy software running on the physical RHEL 7.x side.

If you think about it, is like a brute-force container. I have seen that done to work around applications that can't be upgraded and depend on old versions of OpenSSL. As the proxy is running on RHEL 7.x you offload the SSL to the RHEL 7.x side and voila, new cypher/protocol support on an old application.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: "commercial software from 3rd parties"

The problems in Linux come with commercial software from 3rd parties, some which insist on using abnormally large amounts of shell scripts with lots and lots of assumptions (and no fail check whatsoever), seem to have odd libraries that have strange dependencies, and support personnel who think the Linux shell is a more complicated version of MS-DOS.

Might those products be made by Windows programmers dabbling in reproducing their mistaken ways in a brand new environment ?

2. Aitor 1

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

vi P45

As your system may need recovery....

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@Aitor 1

Yes, you've read some article on how it's done but I can see you've never actually done it yourself because you don't know what the result is.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have you ever actually run that and taken a system down?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The problems in Linux come with commercial software"

Yes, it's the problem with Linux - you get into troubles whenever you install anything useful on it.

Linux relies too much on the "local compilation" model and availability of source code. Just, not all companies are willingly to give it away, and shut down business immediately after.

It's worsened by distro like Debian that usually just have last century code.

Because these issues are magnified by desktop applications, you get the one digit percentage of Linux desktop systems.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Linux

Re: "The problems in Linux come with commercial software"

"Linux relies too much on the "local compilation" model and availability of source code."

*groan*

no. commercial packages can easily be distributed either with local copies of all shared libs, or by staticallly linking everything [avoiding the problem], or by compiling separately for different distros if shared libs MUST be used for some reason.

I think Oracle mastered this kind of thing a long time ago, as one example.

/me runs into the 'Linux Binary Compatibility' thing on occasion, being on FreeBSD. Usually one of the 'CentOS' compatibility ports gets it done.

4. dmacleo

iirc 6.1 to 6.2 was a problematic one for me. from then on up to present 6.7 was easy

5. wolfetone Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I Feel Safe Today

Because my OS doesn't use systemd.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Joke

Re: I Feel Safe Today

Another proud Windows user!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Not a lot of future job prospects for folks who can't figure out how to run systemd safely.

Good for me though. Job security.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"folks who can't figure out how to run systemd safely"

Like Lenny and his crew?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Not a lot of future job prospects for folks who can't figure out how to run systemd safely."

Just try to remember not to create any users that start with a digit such as 0day.

3. FrankAlphaXII

>>Good for me though. Job security.

Exactly. Dinosaurs will die. And good riddance.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"Because my OS doesn't use systemd."

mine either (FreeBSD). But I do have a Debian 8 box that I use for some things, and that has systemd on it. Fortunately, it's firewalled. When I have some spare time, I think I'll switch it to Devuan.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think that when it comes to patching servers Debian has the best strategy. They backport security fixes so that holes get closed without affecting any of the functionality of the software in question.

This provides the smallest chance for problems. Because of this, I know companies who have auto-update enabled for their production servers running Debian.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So do I, and they were impacted by the recent...I want to say dovecot/postfix problem on Debian that affected their entire platforms ability to send emails.

That said, that's only the second time they've had any problem with that process in three years that I am aware of - every other security update they've run has gone through without a glitch.

No update process is entirely without risk, which is why so many orgs have patch paranoia - god knows, I work at one and thanks to a custom software stack which the entire business runs around, on which they have almost complete technical debt - it's a fucking nightmare to keep on top of security of servers that aren't fully supported any more, and which weren't implemented well in the first place (no snapshotting capability, no staging environment, flat network so no test vlans etc)

But hiring a dev to pull the stack apart and re-implement it in modern platform/environment? Why would we need to do that? It's not broken!

*bangs head against desk*

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Debian FTW

I'm currently runnng Debian Jessie on one of these, it's headless and has gone through multiple dist-upgrades during its life, it started off as Etch and has never broken during any updates. So I totally agree that Debian is rock solid in their patching methodology, it's stable and works.

2. Pedigree-Pete
        Mushroom

Re: It's not broken.....

It's not broken YET and you know whos' door they'll come banging on when it does break. PP

2. alain williams Silver badge

They backport security fixes so that holes get closed without affecting any of the functionality of the software in question.

All decent OS vendors do that. RedHat do the same (Red Hat Enterprise, CentOS), as do Suse and, I suspect, other Linux/Unix distros. Microsoft seem to as well ('seem' - this is what I read, I don't use any MS product).

Where they vary is how quickly they backport fixes and how far back they do it - ie how long something is supported for.

7. sitta_europea Silver badge

What's he wittering on about?

mail6:~$ > grep -C2 Blacklist /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

// List of packages to not update (regexp are supported)

Unattended-Upgrade::Package-Blacklist {

// "vim";

// "libc6";

8. 701arvn

CVE's

http://www.cvedetails.com/top-50-products.php?year=2016

Seems like ransom ware writers, do so for Windows because there are lots of it out there, not because it is inherently less secure.

1. seansaysthis

Re: CVE's

Yep once a technology becomes popular it will be targeted. Every technology has security problems. Badly managed/configured systems are vulnerable it just depends if there is enough of a certain type to make it commercially viable to attack.

1. tfewster

Re: CVE's

Destktop/mobile OS's v servers - it's the difference between stealing car stereos and robbing a bank. Harder, but vastly more rewarding* And Linux and Unix are pretty popular for servers.

* Ransomware has changed the balance somewhat - potentially $300 a time for fairly easy pickings!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

CVE TOTALS ARE MEANINGLESS!

Sorry to shout, but it is annoying that people keep quoting this useless link thinking it means something. CVE reporting is voluntary, and every company has a different process by which they determine whether to file a CVE for a security bug or not, and whether they file a CVE for each individual issue, each affected subsystem, or a single CVE that covers tons of unrelated stuff because they happened to be fixed in the same patch set. DIfferent companies ship different amounts of stuff as part of the "OS" as well.

Anyone looking at that list who has half a brain can tell easily how useless it is - notice that Windows 10 has more CVEs than Windows 8.1, which has more than Windows 7. Does anyone really believe Windows is getting LESS secure?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like