back to article Facebook's left hand is fighting for Americans' right to privacy

Facebook's lawyers are racking up the billable hours in the US, with the company winning a lawsuit about tracking and privacy, but still doing battle against the American government over protecting users from government warrants. In a privacy and wiretapping lawsuit, Northern California District Judge Edward Davila decided …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I applaud Facebook for standing up against the gag orders, but why only now? It's a cinch that these types of gag orders didn't just start with Trump, but have been happening for years under Obama. If so, why is Facebook only now making a stink about it? Because the subjects are part of The Resistance?

Of course, if I'm wrong and Obama is clean, I will have to eat crow. Not much chance of that tho!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The gag orders started before Obama, under Bush. Obama's administration expanded their use (at least until Snowden let the cat out of the bag about what was really going on)

Under Trump it is unclear, but since he hasn't taken any stances on privacy and talks about terrorism a lot it is more likely his administration is pushing harder rather than pulling back.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Be honest here, which is more of a secret: The US gov. tracking unknowing people or Facebook tracking unknowing people? See the similarity, that can't be by chance. At least the gov. no longer hides the fact... but Facebook... gag.

2. BillG
        Black Helicopters

The gag orders started before Obama, under Bush. Obama's administration expanded their use...

Remember that while Bush was President, memory was bulky and damned expensive. High capacity Flash memory was just a dream, and the laws were made with those limitations in mind.

While Obama was President we saw unprecedented growth in the technology for bulk memory capacity for both Flash and spinning rust. Obama took those laws and by 2011 expanded them way past what anyone imagined memory technology could do back in 2006.

Advances in memory technology did for government surveillance what advances in drone technology did for peeping-Toms and in both cases offenders took advantage of outdated laws. So don't try blaming this on Bush - whether you are a fanboi if his or not, Obama is solely responsible for the United States Surveillance Republic. There is no denying Obama could have stopped this.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I guess you're one of those "fake news" people who will claim it was just mainstream media lies when they reported how Alberto Gonzalez pushed through very creative interpretations of the law to allow warrantless wiretapping to be started up under Bush? Bush never did any of that stuff, it was all started in January 2009?

If your position is "Obama could have stopped it, but he didn't so he's to blame" then Trump is to blame today. He could have stopped it his first day in office, but he didn't. All the bad laws whether passed by Obama or Lincoln, are now his fault because he hasn't stopped them.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No "reasonable expectation of privacy while browsing the Internet" ?

Ouch, that hurts.

Especially since he may just be right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are there any liberals here who would like to comment on why every time we hear about the Trump administration doing something bad, it turns out the the Obama administration did it much worse first?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Obama was a politician with the subtleness of a good politician. ( Zuckerberg is in the same boat)

"Never tell the truth, certainly not the whole truth or anything too similar to the whole truth."

Whereas Trump is a media troll.

"Only tell my version of the truth, how I determine the truth to be, and all other truth is just fake news."

In both cases, personal agendas are far more important than fact.

1. deadlockvictim

slight correction: subtleness

subtlety perhaps?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Obama was a politician with the subtleness of a good politician."

When you are president and most of the media are supporting you, lying for you, and trying to destroy all your critics, then it's pretty easy to be subtle. Trump is instead faced with a massive wave of childish outrage at his very existence, so he has to fight hard. If he were subtle he'd still be smeared, but then people would consider him weak for not fighting back.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Are there any liberals here who would like to comment on why every time we hear about the Trump administration doing something bad, it turns out the the Obama administration did it much worse first?"

Disclaimer: Not a liberal in the pejorative US sense, or even a US resident of any kind, but it's worth remembering that Trump hasn't even done a year in office yet (yeah, I know, it already feels like forever) and Obama had 8 years to do the dirty. Give him time.

4. Rob Gr

I'm surprised the interested agencies don't register as advertisers, then they could hoover all the info they desire.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: I'm surprised the interested agencies don't register as advertisers

Please don't give them ideas!

5. Sporkinum

You got your left hand

You got your right hand

While the left hand diddling

While the right hand goes to work

I said the left hand diddling now

While the right hand go to work

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like