back to article DataGravity swallowed by mystery buyer

Ninety-two million dollars and a pivot or two later, virtualised data guardian DataGravity has been acquired, The Register can reveal. Not all employees were retained but the company – snapped up around June 30 – is still operational and will be making marketing moves to announce its new status in a week or two, according to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder

If DG would have been more successful concentrating on just the virtual appliance from the beginning, vs trying to build yet another SAN whose real value was in the Discovery software. I know Paula did it once with Equallogic (I was a very early adopter and thought quite highly of the engineering), but perhaps trying to repeat the EQL story was their downfall.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hytrust (from 2 sources)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Once again commodity hardware Vs tuned HW/SW combo.

The eternal battle.

Wonder what the early adopters will do for support?

Still if I had X% of $1.4Bn I'd be thinking about retirement, wouldn't you?

4. jpcorriveau

Why couldn't the acquirer be Veeam ?

If they already worked on an integration, and Veeam was talking about it as a partner, this would make some sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why couldn't the acquirer be Veeam ?

If there were truly good news to share, I think the organisation itself would have said so first.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Data Gravity did share the news this morning and confirmed it was HyTrust at datagravity.com. Sounds like a great fit for an awesome team. We love the product.

6. oregondude

Welp

Ouch! We just purchased a DG virtual appliance in Jan this year. Didn't see this one coming, especially from the sales team who sold it to us...Could have been a great virtual product. I don't understand the hardware offering. Doesn't make sense to compete with SAN vendors over something that can be accomplished externally in a VM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like