back to article Cloud sales shift as enormo Microsoft reorg continues – sources

Microsoft is in the process of squishing more of its various sprawling limbs and partners into a single group. Multiple sources close to the tech giant have told us jobs would be cut during the upcoming revamp, although they could not name a number. Our sources are expecting a shift in the org chart of the tech behemoth, which …

1. MyffyW Silver badge

With the current offerings blurring the lines between cloud and on-prem there's no commercial reason a Microsoftie's knowledge should be siloed to one world or another. The very human fact that they can't easily recall all the labyrinthine complexities might however be a complicating factor.

2. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Following in IBM's footsteps ... again

Microsoft has always followed in IBM's footsteps ... from behemoth to monopoly to not-cool-anymore to a services company ... this "reorg" simply means that they're going to move most of their workforce to India, just like former tech company IBM.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Following in IBM's footsteps ... again

"this "reorg" simply means that they're going to move most of their workforce to India"

Given we're talking about a reorg of the sales force (which happens all the time), this is very much not the case.

2. a_yank_lurker

Not quite, but reorganizing the sales force can either mean someone has a clue or what I have experienced more often is a shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic. If someone has a clue, the results should show in a couple of quarters as the backlog and bookings start to build. Otherwise, we have deck chair shuffling. Nadella seems to vaguely grasp that Slurp might have to cannibalize their own products something the PHBs running I've Been Moved never seemed to grasp.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft has always followed in IBM's footsteps"

Not in terms of success. IBM tried to ignore that Microsoft existed - betting the bank on legacy *Nix mainframe and midrange systems - an approach which has made them a dead backwater that is on many company disinvest lists. Microsoft meanwhile have gone from strength to strength.

Just look at both companies share price over the last 5 years - IBM has barely moved - which is effectively a decline when you allow for inflation, whist Microsoft's has been a continual upwards climb...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Not in terms of success."

Absolutely in terms of success. IBM was a behemoth long before MS came along, and it took a long time for MS to displace them. MS are now seeing themselves displaced too - in the late 90's and early 2000's they pretty much were the only game in town for personal computing. Now they are no longer the biggest player in the client platform game, nor in the change to cloud. Most of their core software products are slowly becoming a legacy middleware layer.

We are seeing the same pattern as with IBM as they move to a services company. It's a very slow change, but the tables have already begun to turn.

Eventually the same will happen to Google, AWS, etc as well. It's just the nature of the beast.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"this "reorg" simply means that they're going to move most of their workforce to India, "

Judging by Microsoft employee names, they already took an alternative approach and have moved a fair bit of India to Redmond...

3. BenDwire Silver badge
    Facepalm

Microsoft's fiscal year ended June 31 - eh?

That might explain a lot. So are they yet to have a financial year end, or are they still using Excel on a 486 to do their accounts? Or do I detect incompetence in the force ...

4. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

All the top brass from Linked In are leaving too

It's funny how they all jump ship right after the takeover. Do you think microsoft factored in the fact all the good ones would inevitably scarper when they negotiated that bargain bucket price of $26bn?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All the top brass from Linked In are leaving too

More like they had a set of very golden handcuffs that tied a big pot of money down until they'd been inside the Borg for a set period of time. Now that that time is up, they are taking the money and running off to their retirement island in the sun. Meanwhile, the rest of us plebs have to suffer the inexorable deterioration of a mostly fairly decent product into an abject mess.

I quit LinkedIn the day after the MS takeover was announced. Don't regret it one little bit. Posting AC just to be on the safe side.

1. Bob Vistakin
        Facepalm

It's played out the same way so many times it's now firmly part of computing history.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good choice. Since its merger, I've witnessed Linkedin becoming more 'Microsofty' before my very eyes, as far as the user experience is concerned. And I don't mean it as a compliment.

It'll become yet another data mining resource for SatNad. Same as Swiftkey. However Linkedin has your personal information.

2. TheVogon

"All the top brass from Linked In are leaving too "

They are probably close porting everything from Play / Java / Oracle crud to .Net and IIS so have no further need for many of the senior staff members.

Likely Microsoft bought LinkedIn mostly for the product concept and the membership rather than the staff...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"They are probably close porting everything..."

That would be typical Microsoft - still stuck in their NIH ways. If .Net and IIS were really so brilliant with such a low TCO, why is it so infrequently chosen by big web services over other solutions? I think reality speaks for itself.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If .Net and IIS were really so brilliant with such a low TCO, why is it so infrequently chosen by big web services over other solutions"

According to Netcraft, 49% of websites now run IIS, and 10% of the 1 million busiest sites run IIS.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"10% of the 1 million busiest sites run IIS"

Exactly - only one in ten popular websites use it (I'd say much less so for the really big-tier platforms), and that's been on a slow but steady decline for a long time now. Not a very promising selling point.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That would be typical Microsoft - still stuck in their NIH ways"

.Net and IIS are certainly relatively easy to build and maintain - and are proven to scale. So the question becomes really around the TCO - which is partly situation and use dependent.

When you own the software and OS in question and are setup to write, deploy and support it, it's going to be a no brainer that it will be a lower TCO...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"When you own the software and OS in question and are setup to write, deploy and support it, it's going to be a no brainer that it will be a lower TCO..."

Correct, but that doesn't translate to customers (i.e. everyone else out there) who would have to pay for it. So I'm not seeing anything convincing here at all.

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

Beware of the Blob...

Reminds me of the ending theme for the movie "The Blob" back from the late 50's (I think)

Burt Bacharach classic jazz-rock!

"*pop* - Beware of the Blob, it creeps, and leaps, ..."

once Micro-shaft re-organizes it's entire, uh, organization so that it's a single monolithic absorbing entity, that is.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Nooooooo!

This is the last straw, my Nan's demanded she's migrated to Linux Mint.

8. P. Lee

>Although the discounts for an EA would be higher than for a month-to-month pricing scheme based on consumption, going with a consumption-based model might work out better for customers with workloads that are more dynamic than static, according to one source.

Ah, the mythical dynamic work-load.

Weasel-words.

Who are these people and what percentage of MS customer-base are they?

I've never worked in an organisation which spins down *production* Windows systems because it doesn't need them at the moment. Maybe there are some, I've just never met them.

Test (as in "pilot") systems, fair enough - its easier to kill and rebuild than to modify them, but that generally isn't a major cost and where it is a cost, it is an MS-dumb-license-model cost.

Typical marketing: make a problem, then sell the solution.

9. Griffo

An article about a bunch of rumours..

I could have written this article 3 months ago. Everyone knows the change is coming, virtually nobody knows what the change is exactly. It's more than just a salesforce re-org, this is supposedly the most serious every re-org. Nobody knows exact job losses as there will be large numbers of redundant positions but also new positions, and people will be able to apply for those roles.

Those who do know the real detail are under strict NDA, and the numbers of these people are seriously limited. For an organisation with a normally very effective grapevine, the lock-down that has occurred with this re-org is quite impressive. The changes will be large, but until you actually have some kind of detail, what's the point of this article?

1. TheVogon

Re: An article about a bunch of rumours..

"virtually nobody knows what the change is exactly."

We do however know that this is only about 10% of the sales force! and that 75% of the cuts are outside of the US...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like