back to article Murderous Uber driver 'attacked passenger and the app biz did nothing. Then he raped me'

Uber is accused of ignoring warning signs about an attempted murderer who signed up as a driver and then allegedly attacked a passenger before raping another. A lawsuit filed in Kansas City, Missouri, US, claims Yahkhahnahn Ammi sexually assaulted a customer in January this year after beating up another woman just weeks before …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting.

http://presstv.ir/Detail/2015/07/30/422495/Sandra-Bland-White-Supremacy-African-Americans-Yahkhahnahn-Ammi

"Press TV has conducted a interview with Yahkhahnahn Ammi, a human rights activist based in Saint Louis ... to discuss police brutality in the United States and the recent mysterious deaths in American jails."

1. Nick Kew
      Thumb Up

Re: Interesting.

Nice one! You don't have to take presstv at face value[1] to see how that so closely follows the pattern of Western propaganda against countries we don't like.

[1] Or even believe it at all. How should any of us here know, one way or t'other?

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

As unlikely as it may seem; it is entirely possible there is more than one Yahkhahnahn Ammi in St Louis. Maybe there was a reason Perrie D Gibson chose that name? Perhaps it's just coincidence?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It could be the same person, and he could be both an activist and convicted of attempted murder. Maybe prison changed him, maybe there is more to the story of his conviction, or maybe the 'activist' thing is just a ruse to find vulnerable people.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Why didn't the St Louis police do something when the bastard hit the first victim?

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

Much as I dislike Uber, surely driver licensing is the responsibility of local government not an app developer?

I don't see how Uber can be expected to be aware of every unproven complaint made to the Police anywhere in the world, not without becoming more evil than they already are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apart from the previous conviction for attempted murder, the previous victim filling an assault case with the Police AND telling Uber, you're spot on.

2. Nick Kew

@Adam 52 - yep. I expect any public-facing business collects complaints against employees[1], and has no way (unless it be sheer volume) to distinguish the ones with substance from the malicious or frivolous. And would be on the wrong end of an industrial tribunal if it took action against an employee on that basis without at least supporting evidence from the powers of law enforcement.

[1] Or not-technically-employees acting in an employee-like role.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

... except that most of those complaints aren't accompanied by a bonafied police report and a detailed criminal history of the guy.

2. User McUser

And would be on the wrong end of an industrial tribunal if it took action against an employee on that basis without at least supporting evidence from the powers of law enforcement.

Except that this is in America where you can basically be fired for any/no reason. And furthermore, given that its drivers are all supposedly "independent contractors", Uber doesn't even have to tell them they're "fired" - they can just shutdown their login and that's that.

3. hnwombat
      Coat

Yeah, like, oh, I dunno... maybe regulation of taxi companies? Nah, it'd never work.

1. Nick Kew

regulation?

... because regulation makes them safe?

Seems the reality is, noone knows, because noone collects statistics that would tell us.

e.g. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/taxi-drivers-uber-charged-violent-sexual-offences-london-a6988286.html (UK) or https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/are-taxis-safer-than-uber/386207/ (US).

All we know is that Uber has a reputation problem. I could propose two hypotheses, but offer no comment on which is closer to reality:

(a) The reputation problem is fully deserved.

(b) The reputation problem arises from an entire industry having a strong vested interest in stopping the rise of Uber.

4. Naselus

It's almost like all the regulations on the Taxi industry which Uber tries to side-step were implemented for a reason, rather than just to screw with people, isn't it?

5. kain preacher

Tough tittys. In places like California if a cabbie is reported, the company must take him out of service till the complaint is proven false..

6. Stevie

I don't see how

"Accessory before, during and after the fact".

Assuming any of this is true. Don't forget: read it on the internet.

7. Boo Radley

taxi Regulation

Here in Victoria Texas, the cities regulate the taxis. This included a yearly application process wherein you submit your police record and fingerprints and the chief of police either alloys or disallows each application.

Uber doesn't want this background check to be performed, especially if fingerprints are required, and has recently gotten the state legislature to change it so the state oversees taxi regulation. Suspiciously absent from this new rule is any mention of REAL background checks for driver applicants.

8. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@Adam52

No,

Uber is responsible for performing necessary and required background checks on its drivers.

Even cab companies have to perform background checks, including fingerprinting of potential drivers.

(This will vary state by state.)

The fact that Uber didn't means that they are liable. They will settle before this goes to trial.

There is no way Uber will be held harmless and while they will fight it... if there's a police report, hospital reports and the story checks out... e.g. the drive signed up under an assumed alias to hide his identity and his criminal past... Uber is going to be paying out a settlement in the high 6 to 7 figure range.

9. Mark 78

Adma52 wrote "Much as I dislike Uber, surely driver licensing is the responsibility of local government not an app developer?"

That is one of the big things about Uber - They refuse to work with the local government, insisting that the drivers are not taxi drivers who need licensing but are self employed people and that they look after the vetting of them.

4. Tikimon
    Facepalm

I say we nuke the company from orbit

It's the only way to be sure. The company culture is far too ingrained at this point to ever be cleaned up. They might push a lot of it back into the shadows so it's less overt, but real change? I wouldn't take that bet.

Lyft and others will happily fill the void left by Uber.

5. 2Nick3

I know their plan!!

With all of the negative press for Uber, they'll be able to claim that no jury could be considered impartial, and therefore they can't receive a fair trial.

It's brilliant, really.

1. hellwig

Re: I know their plan!!

Or, alternatively, they'll say that with all the coverage, any reasonable person would just assume they're going to be assaulted/raped in an Uber car, and therefore Uber can't be held responsible.

6. John 104

Fired At Will

Are we the only country that expects people to actually do the job they are hired for or else? I know the Frenchies have some ridiculous entitlements (still baffled by the riots several years ago when people were upset about having to work more than 30 hours a week or whatever). Is this common in the euro zone or?

1. hnwombat
      FAIL

Re: Fired At Will

> Are we the only country that expects slaves to actually do the job they are bought for or else?

There, fixed that for you.

And, yes, the US is the only developed nation still practicing slavery. That's one reason I emigrated to France.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like