back to article Newly Google-emboldened Nutanix aims for data centre dominance

Nutanix is making a play to be a data centre control plane platform with a hybrid cloud game plan, buttressed by buddying up with the Google Cloud Platform. Sunil Potti, chief product and development officer for Nutanix, had a canned quote justifying this Nutanix Enterprise Cloud OS-based game plan: “Multi-cloud IT strategies …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anything actually shipping or are those just announcements? The feauture list is amazing, how are they going to deliver this?

Kudos if they can pull off microsegmentation but Nicira worked for years, was bought for $1bn and then Vmware worked for another 2-3 years to make it usable. The resources Nicira and Vmware put into it dwarf anything Nutanix has.

Is this even realistic?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm on the market for new storage/servers, so obviously also checking up on HCI. I checked with one of the Nutanix reference clients (where I happen to know one of the engineers that has to keep it running). Major point was : "their support is great, the fact that we need them almost every week not so much".

Apparently the client was sold a lot of roadmap, but several years later the roads are still being built. So I would assume just announcements...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume the downvote is for posting as AC and not giving details. But the details are not mine to share, and giving details would possibly implicate people I know who have posted *a lot* on Nutanix forums. Said people wanted to bin the whole thing after the POC phase, but were overruled by manglement.

Hence also AC. I can only suggest that, if anyone of the reg readership considers Nutanix, they throw every workload at it that might possibly arise during a proof of concept, and that they test every claim made with production workloads. That is of course SOP, but I take the word of my friend for it. Similar workloads, and a nice savings in time to not have to test it. YMMV.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cavaet Emptor

Of course, any customer who makes a purchase decision based on roadmap items shared in the pre-sales phase needs to get the commitment to those features and timeline in writing, that way, when the features slip...the customer is no longer required to pay for the product.

Selling on future roadmap is a dangerous business.. It easily becomes a serious revenue recognition problem for the company selling the product.

5. RollTide14

Roadmap looks great

I've always liked what Nutanix has to offer, seems like a really good fit for a lot of custoers. What I can't stand is their marketing department blabbing their mouth about "vendor lock in". Listen, every company has lock in, including your own. Just because you can run your SW on some different HW platforms doesnt mean they aren't locked in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Roadmap looks great

Yeah, VMware used to do the same. Use VMware to avoid hw provider lock in (and add hypervisor provider lock in).

The only provider that really does not have lock in is, ironically given this article, Google Cloud Platform as they open source everything they use to build services, e,g. Kubernetes, TensorFlow, Beam, Dremel, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like