back to article It's the thought that counts: Illinois emits 'no location stalking' law

The US state of Illinois is about to pass a law that makes it illegal to track a phone's location without the owner's consent. The bill, dubbed the Geolocation Privacy Protection Act (HB3449), has been passed by both houses in the state legislature and now awaits the signature of Governor Bruce Rauner. The bill makes it …

1. John Crisp

From small acorns....

Though I doubt it will make much difference it is nice to see someone doing something.

Sick to death of apps wanting the size of my dick all the time, and refusing to install if I don't tell them. And even worse are the ones bundled in firmware that you cannot remove.

I wonder whether GDPR will have any bearing on the data slurping from phones?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder whether GDPR will have any bearing on the data slurping from phones?

I'm pretty sure the German Democratic Peoples Republic[*] was pining for the fjords some time before mobile phones became common.

[*] I know.

2. a_yank_lurker

Details

Since corruption is endemic in Illinois, I wonder what the details actually say not what is touted.

1. quxinot

Re: Details

Maybe this is the excuse they want to use to explain why they continue to not have a budget prepared. Again.

3. Neoc

"'Geolocation information' means information that: (i) is not the contents of a communication; (ii) is generated by or derived from, in whole or in part, the operation of a mobile device, including, but not limited to, a smart phone, tablet, or laptop computer; and (iii) is sufficient to determine or infer the precise location of that device,"

So, in other words, the apps/websites/whatever will now refuse to work unless you grant them permission to track you; and even if they don't it won't matter because "see, your honour, we can only track the owner down to a five-meter radius; it's not a *precise* location at all."

<Thumps head on desk>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"see, your honour, we can only track the owner down to a five-meter radius; it's not a *precise* location at all."

Now there's a law that will have problems eating corn on the cob....

4. heyrick Silver badge

"Getting permission to collect the location data will require a company to state exactly how they plan on collecting the data and what they plan on using it for."

My Xperia Mini Pro used to say "Will collect anonymous data while using GPS. Data transmission charges may apply." If you agree, everything worked. If you disagreed, GPS would not be enabled.

I used to wonder how this was legal in the EU. No indication of who, what, when, how much, rights, privacy policy... And certainly no indication beforehand that an important part of device functionality was effectively disabled unless you "agree" to this unknown data collection by unknown organisations for unknown reasons.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Google?

They will "ask for permission" on Android phones, but it will be buried in a huge long EULA type thing you have to agree to if you want to use the phone. What good does a law like this do when you can bury terms in a novel length 'contract' written by lawyers, and you can't use a product if you decline?

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Really?

They are wasting time on this kind of frippery? Killinois hasn't had a working budget for going on 3-4 years, and they keep on with bills like this?

Disclaimer I'm originally from Smelliois and this bill is destined to create more issues that it solves. I see another avenue for corruption to reign supreme here...

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Really?

Illinois Nazis. I HATE Illinois Nazis.

7. Cuddles

Precise?

"sufficient to determine or infer the precise location of that device"

It seems tracking without permission is fine as long as it's not precise. Town, postcode, road, house number - at which point does it count as "precise" exactly? Presumably wherever the most expensive lawyer in the room says when it eventually makes it into court, but I'd be amazed if this actually covers anything other than GPS - it can't be difficult to argue that using things like wifi and phone masts to get location aren't actually all that precise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Precise?

Wrigley Field.

8. HellDeskJockey
    FAIL

As a current Illinois resident. I'm completely unimpressed.

Our representatives can't pass a budget. Our credit rating is abut to be reduced to junk. We have billions of dollars in unpaid bills. This is the best they can come up with is a law allowing our Attorney General to sue companies.

FAIL because it's well deserved.

9. fidodogbreath
    Happy

Problem solved, then

On to the next crisis of modernity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like