nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Astroboffins dig into the weird backwards orbit of the Bee-Zed asteroid

Silver badge

Did I just see that "asteroid" firing thrusters...

Silver badge

I doubt Bee-Zed's orbit is keeping Jupiter's orbit in line.

Silver badge
Joke

Yeah, Bee-Zed is a real danger to the solar system with its potential to knock Jupiter out of its current orbit....

Silver badge

Have Faith

If it weren't keeping Jupiter in check we would all be dead already. What part of resonance don't you understand. All hail Bee-Zed.

Silver badge
Alien

Weird

I read that the Gateway asteroid orbited perpendicular to the ecliptic?

Silver badge

You cannae break the laws of physics Capn.

It transparently doesnt so its not weird to me. Unusual but not weird.

Silver badge
Boffin

Most of the pictures and videos I've seen about BZ's orbit show a somewhat pretzel-like curve, but that's only when "viewed from Jupiter", ie. the "pretzel" follows / is locked to Jupiter as Jupiter orbits the sun. I suppose the astro-boffins doing the PR work found that shape more "interesting" than the Sun-relative orbit - apparently looking like a plain old, boring ellipse (which I personally find much more remarkable). Sadly, figuring out what the actual shape of the orbit is and whether it is a true ellipse - considering it is the result of "crossing paths" with Jupiter twice each time it goes around the Sun - is way beyond my math/astro-fu, but at any rate it closely resembles one...

Silver badge
Joke

"Their icy exteriors are warmed by the Sun and they sublime"

That's ridiculous.

Gold badge

but their motion is locked and they never come within 176 million kilometers (109 million miles) of each other

Obviously either Jupiter or BZ have a restraining order.

This information is easily available at your local planning office, at Barnards Star. Even if it is locked in a filing cabinet, in a disused toilet with a sign on the door saying, 'beware of the leopard'.

There's always one...

Message ends

All stars begin as binary systems.....Ceres-Vesta....Hellas Planitia

Mars has 635,000 impact craters, six over 400 km wide, and Hellas Planitia, which is

2,300 km wide and 9 km deep, suggesting impact with a brown dwarf sized body,

approximately 20% of the size of the Sun. The Planet X hypothesis solves a number of

anomalies, Moons mass/orbit/origin, the 'fifth rocky planet' astroid belt and more.

Anonymous Coward

It's in the rules.

Jupiter hasn't cleared its orbit of this asteroid, which means Jupiter is not a planet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing