back to article Microsoft brings caregiver leave home to US, plans to finish global rollout soon

Microsoft has decided that family caregivers deserve support, so it's decided to take its paid leave program global. Redmond's HR veep Kathleen Hogan explained the decision in a LinkedIn post (Do we have to? Oh, all right, here's the link), as the company began offering the program in the USA. Saying “times when life happens …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Say what you may about Microsoft...

...but at least on this front it seems to give a shit about it's employees.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Say what you may about Microsoft...

"on this front it seems to give a shit about it's employees"

they have to keep up that appearance, anyway.

but it's still all about "bottom line". The cost of a 'family leave' thing [which is usually 'vacation time' for the rest of us, or PTO, or similar, for those who are NOT contractors] is small compared to the P.R. and 'employee retention' factor.

I hear that working for Micro-shaft these days isn't all that pleasant. So they sugar it up a bit to keep people from rage-quitting. And the P.R. benefits speak for themselves.

After all, if it LOOKS like they "care" about people, it won't hurt so much when they JAM their intrusive customer policies into our rectums (adware, spyware, tracking, forced updates, win-10-nic 2D FLATSO FLUGLY and less choice, etc.)

2. TonyJ

I worked briefly for Microsoft in Belgium.

Whilst the Belgian contingent were very odd - they had some very odd ideals and ideas - Microsoft on the whole were a decent outfit to work for, even then (mid-late 2009) and I cannot recall meeting anyone who didn't enjoy working for them.

So yeah, whilst you cannot argue their odd decisions and shark-like business ideals at times, as a people-oriented business, they've always struck me as one of the better ones.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

"Microsoft on the whole were a decent outfit to work for, even then (mid-late 2009)"

back THEN I can believe it. windows 7 was about to be released. they were LISTENING TO THE CUSTOMERS back then.

I think it's a bit different now. At least, from what I've read [including on El Reg]

3. cambsukguy

Sadly, didn't get past the interview stage

And it was with the research division.

But, I noticed everyone had enormous, twin monitors, when that was difficult.

When I mentioned that the snack machines didn't have money slots, the interviewer just pointed out that charging would be absurd given what the time lost for not having the right money etc. would cost anyway.

Still, was the only place I have worked where the drinks, food AND snack machine were free. That includes a lot of Blue Chip outfits too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like