back to article Concorde without the cacophony: NASA thinks it's cracked quiet supersonic flight

NASA says the preliminary design review of its Quiet Supersonic Transport (QueSST) project suggests it is possible to create a supersonic aircraft that doesn't produce a sonic boom. We've been able to build supersonic passenger planes for decades, but they're tricky things. Russia's Tupolev Tu-144 proved highly unreliable. …

Page:

1. Rich 11

and fly it over American cities and towns to hear how much noise it makes

Wouldn't it make more sense to fly it over Kansas cornfields first? They're still going to need audio gear on the ground to pick out its footprint, and buildings are just going to get in the way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree with Rich 11; the almost constant gunfire in most US cities would drown out even Concorde.

I cannot think of a suitable icon for this post.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the almost constant gunfire in most US cities would drown out even Concorde.

My son just observed that's also why events like 100m races need their own stadium, otherwise the athletes can't tell the starting pistol from the rest..

:)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

American cities

Yes, the knives in your cities are much quieter...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: American cities

Yes, the knives in your cities are much quieter

Ditto for the acid attacks...except for the screaming, of course.

2. Jon 37

I'm sure they'll fly it over somewhere deserted first - not least because they need to get confidence that it won't crash into the city! They will also want to measure enough to ensure that the sonic boom/thump is not going to break glass or do other damage. There are lots of windows in a city and breaking even a few percent of them would be very very expensive!

But once they've done that, the real goal has to be to get public support for supersonic travel. To do that they'll want to demonstrate the "sonic thump" to people, by flying over them, so people know what it sounds like and don't have the fear of the unknown that was a problem for Concorde. They will also want to be able to say to regulators and the press that they have really flown over real US cities without problems (no broken glass, no excessive complaints, etc).

Also note that the impact of a sonic boom on a city is going to be different from a cornfield - there are buildings to block or reflect the sound, and there's a higher level of background noise.

1. Patrician

...."But once they've done that, the real goal has to be to get public support for supersonic travel. To do that they'll want to demonstrate the "sonic thump" to people, by flying over them, so people know what it sounds like and don't have the fear of the unknown that was a problem for Concorde."...

The only reason Concorde wasn't certified to fly over the mainland United States is because it wasn't built by an American company; had it been built by Boeing or MacDonald Douglas it would have had no trouble getting cerification.

1. Dazed and Confused
          Happy

Not invented here syndrome

The only reason Concorde wasn't certified to fly over the mainland United States is because it wasn't built by an American company

and of course the only reason it got to fly into Washington at all was that despite of

Even when flying below the speed of sound, it was often noisier than always-subsonic aircraft

It was quieter than the President's jet, so they couldn't ban it without also banning El'Presidenty

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Not invented here syndrome

"It was quieter than the President's jet, so they couldn't ban it without also banning El'Presidenty"

Well, that's certainly within the realms of possibility. The original article states:

"Even when flying below the speed of sound, it was often noisier than always-subsonic aircraft and generated plenty of complaints around airports, [...]"

Noise complaints were certainly made about Concorde, yes - but the truth is that Concorde wasn't a serious noise problem on take off or landing when it first came into service: Concorde proved itself quieter than much of the subsonic competition.

The thing about airliners back when Concorde came into service is that an awful lot of them were very noisy. Notwithstanding that, the Concorde people knew perfectly well that they were going to have an issue with noise, so they developed methods of managing speed, altitude, and throttle on take-off and landing to mitigate the noise experienced by populations on the ground near airports.

The procedures are described in the Concorde Haynes manual, pages 113 and 114, if you want to read up on it.

The result was that Concorde was, as far as airport neighbours were concerned, quieter than many airliners when it came into service. The Haynes book says in the context of take off:

"Concorde was [...] quieter, certainly, than a number of aircraft then in service including the [Boeing] 707 and 727"

The Wikipedia Concorde article states:

"In 1971, BAC's technical director was quoted as saying, "It is certain on present evidence and calculations that in the airport context, production Concordes will be no worse than aircraft now in service and will in fact be better than many of them."

"In spite of complaints about noise, the noise report noted that Air Force One, at the time a Boeing VC-137 [derived from the Boeing 707], was louder than Concorde at subsonic speeds and during take-off and landing [...]"

Of course, once Concorde operations proved quieter than typical subsonic airliner operations near airports at least (there's not much you can say to excuse the sonic boom), the subsonic laddies had to follow suit and aim for lower noise themselves - first by adapting Concorde's reduced noise departure and landing procedures, and then by developing inherently quieter designs; so by the time Concorde left service, it was indeed comparatively noisy on take off and landing - but it was never as bad as its harshest critics claimed.

The Haynes book says "One result of the Concorde noise abatement procedure was that other aircraft were forced to tighten up theirs, because ours was producing less noise. Therefore, Concorde made New York a little quieter!"

1. Pristine Audio

When Concorde flew overhead you knew it was Concorde - certainly by the 1990s it was much, much louder than anything else in the sky as it descended over SE London on its way to Heathrow. It was a regular sight when I lived there and sounded like a real monster. Nothing else came close.

Now I live in rural France. Occasionally French air force jets have flown over at supersonic speeds. You know they're supersonic because the impact on the house, while it's never broken windows, feels like an oil tanker must have crashed into the living room at speed. It's truly terrifying.

2. Mooseman Silver badge

"Concorde was [...] quieter, certainly, than a number of aircraft then in service including the [Boeing] 707 and 727"

I can vouch for the racket a 707 made, we used to fly them with DHL in the cargo variant. Boy, were they loud on take off.

2. fidodogbreath

The only reason Concorde wasn't certified to fly over the mainland United States is because it wasn't built by an American company

WTF? Many US airlines fly planes from Airbus, Embraer, Bombardier, etc.

3. brucedenney

Maybe they don't care if it is noisy out of cities because few people live there, it is about the relative sound of it in a city with lots of background noise that will determine if it is politically tolerable.

4. cray74

Wouldn't it make more sense to fly it over Kansas cornfields first?

A supersonic test over inhabited areas is done less for the physics and more to quantify the legal aspects of the aircraft, i.e., how many lawsuits and insurance claims a "sonic thump" generates. See Operation Bongo II, a 1964 equivalent test series.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Let's just hope....

...you never have to land that by eyes only.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Let's just hope....

That's what I thought. I don't wish to be personal, but your aeroplane has a big nose. A really honking great hooter. A positively protuberant proboscis.

Why it almost reminds me of this kids TV classic.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"but your aeroplane has a big nose. "

True.

But possibly worse, it seems to have a very little fuselage, where they put most of the payload in passenger jets.

As in "The load that pays."

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: "but your aeroplane has a big nose. "

Do you mean the self-loading cargo?

Unhappy

"Do you mean the self-loading cargo?"

Yes.

The downside of such cargo is that it places a minimum size on the whole vehicle, and with that form factor it's going to be biiiig.

Concorde, at 100 seats, was finally accepted by the French as the minimum size for an SST. Most people who've looked at this since have said you need at least 300 passengers (plus baggage) to make this viable. You also need a minimum range from day one of roughly Frankfurt to New York.

One interesting idea is that the maximum use temperature of plastics has been gradually rising. In principle CFC would be viable up to about 250C today. Likewise stainless steel could be an option up to 300c with laser welding or diffusion bonding.

2. The elephant in the room
        Joke

"but your aeroplane has a big nose. "

But how does it smell?

1. Pedigree-Pete
          Coat

Re: "but your aeroplane has a big nose. "

Before anyone else does....

But how does it smell?

Awful. BOOM..BOOM.

Yeh. I'm going.

3. h4rm0ny

By the time this actually gets off the ground, I wouldn't think it would be flown by humans at all! Turn around time on a new commercial airliner can be a couple of decades. The Airbus A380 took first flight in 2005. Design began seventeen years before in 1988. And we've still only built about two-hundred of them.

This isn't even an actual plane design, is it? If a real plane based on these ideas launches in 2037, I can well imagine you wont need a pilot at all let alone need to fly it visually!

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Concorde could dip the nose down so the pilot could see the ground during landing. Does anyone know why they didn't add a window near the pilot's feet?

(This project hit the news over a year ago. It probably started well before that so a chunk of development time has already happened.)

3. jake Silver badge

Next, apply the technology to ...

... bullets. Supersonic suppressed rounds ... I'm absolutely certain somebody(s) will pay out the nose for that kind of "stealth" technology. SSKs probably already working on it ...

1. Named coward

Re: Next, apply the technology to ...

The main noise coming from a gun is that of the propellant gases expanding

1. Chris G

When you are under effective enemy fire, you hear ' crack thump' the crack is the sonic boom of the round, the thump is the discharge catchinh up.

You only hear the crack of the shockwave when the fire is pretty much comi g straight at you.

1. Charles 9

Depends on the bullet. Pistol rounds, for example, rarely go supersonic. Military and rifle rounds, yes, though.

1. Mad Hacker

Not true. My standard 9mm ammo goes supersonic. If you want to use a suppressor and have it do any good you need to buy subsonic ammo.

1. fnj

@MadHacker - the muzzle velocity of the iconic handgun - the Browning M1911 - is only 825 ft/s, well below supersonic.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@fnj

"@MadHacker - the muzzle velocity of the iconic handgun - the Browning M1911 - is only 825 ft/s, well below supersonic."

But 825 < 761 ?

1. W4YBO

"But 825 < 761 ?"

Feet per second, not miles per hour.

2. W4YBO

I practice in my back yard with subsonic .22s, and .45ACP. However, nearly all ammunition is supersonic unless specifically loaded as subsonic. Even using Remington Subsonic ammo (1050 fps), fired from a 24 inch barrel, you'll hear the supersonic (1100+ fps) crack on occasion.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Next, apply the technology to ...... bullets.

Actually IIRC the very early work on development shaping was done using bullets.

Essentially firing differently shaped bullets to get a rough idea of what (at the same mass) sounded quieter.

Obviously you needed a reload bench to do this but that's still pretty cheap compared to a supersonic wind tunnel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Must be a b*tch to crimp a cartridge around a plane shaped bullet, though.

:)

1. jake Silver badge

Not a bitch, it's pretty easy actually. See: sabot.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey...

They should do a tie-in with Reaction Engines:- bolt on a couple of their Sabre engines, and you've got a very high speed, very high altitude passenger jet, which will hopefully be allowed to cross above most major land masses and therefore link all major airports. No need to go orbital. The US and UK could come to an agreement on sharing the engineering work. We'll have to call the jet something like "arrangement", or "treaty"...

1. Unep Eurobats
      Go

Re: Hey...

'Special relationship' or SpeshRel 1.

(In the artist's impression it does look a little like one aircraft is being mounted by another.)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Hey...

Look further. Up and back.

Ben Bova, Asimov, Clarke, Lemm had this figured out.

Increasing the speed of an aircraft is diminishing returns. The true solution for high speed travel beyond 3000 km or thereabouts is going ballistic via suborbital trajectory.

The main issue there is not so much technology. Wwe are going in that direction with Space X and ReactionEngines and will be there in a couple of decades well before quiet supersonic aircraft is productized. It is the fact that with the current level of paranoya and militarization nobody will allow you to lob a payload the size of an airliner cabin on a ballistic suborbital trajectory to LA, NY, Moscow or Berlin.

Unhappy

"nobody will allow..a payload the size of an airliner..on a ballistic suborbital trajectory"

True.

Even reusable first stages are problematical.

5. aui
    Holmes

Concorde: "Even when flying below the speed of sound, it was often noisier than always-subsonic aircraft"

I thought this was due to the military-grade engines rather than the airframe shape.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Engines

More precisely it was due to the use of reheat for take-off (or "afterburners" as the Yanks call it) which is normally only used by the military since (1) it is fuel-inefficient and (2) it is damn noisy.

More detailed reason is you get more thrust from heating the existing mass-flow of engine exhaust to increase the speed and hence the momentum-rate. Down side is noise is approximately related to the 8th power of exhaust speed so 25% extra thrust comes with about 6000% extra noise.

A major reason why most modern aircraft are cheaper to fly and quieter is the use of the wide "high bypass" engines where much of the thrust comes from a large volume of air at lower speed from the part that goes past the actual engine.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. collinsl Bronze badge

Re: Engines

Well what about the famous "crackle" on landing, that Jeremy Clarkson once described as "drowning out the second and fourth item on the 6 o'clock news" every night?

3. Warm Braw

I seem to recall an announcement from the flight deck prior to the afterburners being turned off lest the passengers be panicked into thinking the engines had failed owing to the sudden drop in the noise level.

1. 尼尔

The first day I flew, in December 1960, the second leg was on a BOAC Comet 4 from Heathrow to Zurich and they made a similar announcement about a sudden drop in engine noise that would occur just after take off. But nothing to do with supersonic flight of course!

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"high bypass" engines where much of the thrust comes from a large volume of air at lower speed from the part that goes past the actual engine

They'll have a huge challenge making supersonic capable engines anything near compliant with current noise rules for aircraft design. As proven by Concorde, there's a small, high wealth customer base willing to pay the high fuel and operating cost of an SST, but I suspect that there's no economic case when the development costs are combined with the small passenger numbers. And because fuel consumption and costs will always be high, it will be impossible to take the technology into the mainstream, and then recover development costs across a much greater production volume.

Sadly, I think this is a rich man's toy, and it is sad to see NASA wanting to spend taxpayer's money on a technology that will only ever benefit the ultra wealthy. Britain and France did this, and funnily enough seem in no hurry to repeat the adventure. If Boeing (or Musk, or Branson) wanted to develop their own aircraft at their own risk and cost, that's different. Evidently NASA haven't realised that The UK and France don't appear to be in a hurry to repeat the experiment.

1. Equals42

I disagree that they wouldn't take a chance. The A380 has lost money on every unit. It may break even per unit but the total program is a huge loss. The 787 is $33 billion in the hole so far. Taking a chance on an innovative plane that addresses an untapped market (getting somewhere a hell of a lot faster) might be interesting to Boeing and Airbus since other than 737s and A320s they haven't a lot of new ideas in the pipe. [The 797 is simply a 757/767 replacement that has a narrow market segment with 737 MAX10 and A321 encroaching in the medium single aisle category and 787, et al right above it in wide body.]

They both need a new winner.

5. Chz

Your points about reheat are true, but it was still a noisy bugger without it. I remember it sitting in the Heathrow queue a few times (normally they had priority, but sometimes they got stuck in it) over south London. From Hyde Park it was still loud enough to make everyone notice.

6. werdsmith Silver badge

"A major reason why most modern aircraft are cheaper to fly and quieter is the use of the wide "high bypass" engines where much of the thrust comes from a large volume of air at lower speed from the part that goes past the actual engine."

Yes, it will be tough to fit high bypass with large frontal intake into a slippery supersonic shape, I think Concorde Olympus was pure turbojet.

The subsonic noise of Concorde during take off and climb went on for a while and is a greater problem than the very quick b-boom from the supersonic pressure wave.

So fixing the boom is only part of the problem, if the aircraft must maintain a slippery shape.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like