back to article Microsoft admits to disabling third-party antivirus code if Win 10 doesn't like it

Windows 10 does disable some third-party security software, Microsoft has admitted, but because of compatibility – not competitive – issues. Redmond is currently being investigated in the EU, Germany and Russia over alleged anti-competitive behavior because it bundles the Windows Defender security suite into its latest …

Page:

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"locked Internet Explorer into the operating system to make up the lost ground..

– a decision which cost the company dearly in the long run"

But not nearly as much as the incestuous mess cost the rest of the world.

Microsoft had/has the turnover of a small country and what I pile of shit the world of computing has got to show for it.

34 years of development and Windows 10 is the result - fuck me I want to cry.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'34 years of development - Windows 10 is the result'

Its worse... Linux is ready for primetime: No nagging, slurping, spying, forced-updates etc. But since MS still controls the distribution system, few shops / stores of the world offer Linux. And the big manufacturers are locked into long-term contracts with MS, so that's not going to change. What now? I buy less tech overall from all retailers. F*ck em, they've killed off choice!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: '34 years of development - Windows 10 is the result'

I use Win10, Win7, Linux Mint 18.1, and macOS, at different times in the day/week. I was reading this then looked down and realised I was in Linux Mint. If I'm in a browser like Firefox/Chrome, I genuinely have to glance down at the taskbar to (remember) which OS I'm using, because it's not obvious if your focus is within the web content itself.

Linux Mint is an excellent OS, and I'd say the one I have the least problems with / least amount of maintenance issues. Updates are quick and "just work", which means scaled up, it could easily help in places like the NHS, as a desktop client, if we can break the glass ceiling.

The thing Linux is fighting, is very much the same problem Jeremy Corbyn had. The established, moneyed vested interests do everything in their power to discredit a viable alternative to this constant misery of Windows Updates/Windows 10 Nagware.

Until the balance suddenly tips, and people actually see Linux for what it is, a decent OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is amazing that companies still use Windows, especially given the costs. Any large company is paying millions a year for Windows when they could use Linux or Chrome or both for free.

1. Langalf

There are areas where you truly have no choice. Industrial control is a prime example. While there may be some alternative control systems and PLC platforms that do not require Windows, the big players all run Windows-based development, control and HMI programs.

1. Charles 9

And then you have the serious gamer set, for which consoles are a casual toy and no other OS compares to Windows for lineup and support, especially for headliners which would be the purview of professional gamers. Gamers (and especially professionals) won't jump to Linux unless someone is willing to back them up, and not even Valve's support is enough in this regard.

1. hplasm
                Childcatcher

"...no other OS compares to Windows ..." for being a toy.

Poor kids- won't somebody think of them?

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

And then you have the serious gamer set...

Screw them. They need to damn well grow up.

1. IsJustabloke
                  Thumb Down

"Screw them. They need to damn well grow up."

says the "linux rulz! wondoze sux!" fanboy....

3. MJI Silver badge

Professional gamers is a very small subset of gamers. But Windows support will not disappear while Microsoft produce a console.

As to Linux support, how similar is it to BSD which a variant of is well supported.

1. Charles 9

"As to Linux support, how similar is it to BSD which a variant of is well supported."

Not very, particularly in the multimedia and graphics aspects which are key to gaming.

1. Kiwi
                    Linux

Not very, particularly in the multimedia and graphics aspects which are key to gaming.

Pro-tip : Most people don't give a stuff about the gaming you constantly harp on about. Most want a simple way to access email, facebook, youtube and. Er. Well that's about it for most people, a few want to do some document handling stuff (also at a basic level). If your machine can play a 1080 youtube vid, it can handle everything else most people want.

And if you do it on Linux, you get a damned responsive, reliable machine, not something that needs an hour of startup time to finish "installing updates" that take longer to install than to download! (wtf's up with that?????)

1. Charles 9

"Pro-tip : Most people don't give a stuff about the gaming you constantly harp on about."

PRO-Pro-tip: PLENTY of people give A LOT of crap about gaming. Gamers are still trailblazers for PC tech; otherwise, we'd have plateaued years back. Steam, Battle.net, Origin, and so on numbers seem to indicate there are more people who care about gaming than you care to research. After all, what do you think professional gamers use (you know, those that do it for a living)? And no, we're not interested in consoles (you can't play WoW on a console).

4. nkuk

"Gamers (and especially professionals) won't jump to Linux unless someone is willing to back them up, and not even Valve's support is enough in this regard."

Thats not true, there is a very healthy and enthusiastic, if somewhat small, community of gamers that only use Linux. Virtually all the indie devs and an ever expanding list of larger developers are now supporting Linux. Over 50% of my 20 year old game library supports Linux and I have a wealth of choice for new games (including AAA), more than I could ever buy.

Its only really EA and Ubisoft that don't yet support Linux and if you've played one of their games you've played them all. Even that is likely to change with Vulkan support being baked into the middleware, at that point it becomes a very low cost to support a Linux version, almost tick a checkbox, fix the outlying bugs and QA. Almost all the Vulkan games that have been released to date that run on PC work on Linux.

1. Charles 9

What about Blizzard? They don't seem to be jumping up and down for Linux support, either, and they're the poster child for successful multiplayer gaming with WoW (which people PAY--per month--to play) and Overwatch (the new multiplayer fad that's now incorprated into professional gaming circuits--you know, the ones where real money gets involved).

Look, until the headliners (where the REAL money is made) make the jump (and you can throw in ZeniMax--Fallout 4 is NOT going to Linux unless subsidiary Bethesda are convinced/coerced into changing their minds), until you can get the professional gaming circuits to drop Windows (again, REAL money here), I still say gaming is not ready for prime time on Linux.

2. MJI Silver badge

As a programmer in a small software house. It comes down often to economics.

We happily went along with MSDOS for years, but customers want Windows.

So get staff skilled in it, rewrite the system, finally got there.

We do not have the staff to rewrite again, but I feel like MS are trying to force us off Windows.

Our software on the Windows OSes which matter (XP and 7) is rock stable, but often crashes on 10.

What have MS changed to cause this?

Up times in months down to uptimes in hours.

WTF MS!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Did you see the post previously about monopolies?

They don't give a shit about you. Only your money.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

So get staff skilled in it, rewrite the system, finally got there.

We do not have the staff to rewrite again, but I feel like MS are trying to force us off Windows.

Our software on the Windows OSes which matter (XP and 7) is rock stable, but often crashes on 10.

It sounds like it's because you're running Windows 3.1 16-bit apps on an OS that doesn't like them.

1. jelabarre59

It sounds like it's because you're running Windows 3.1 16-bit apps on an OS that doesn't like them.

I've thought MS could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by splitting off their older ABIs into a Wine-like runtime, then they could have moved them out of the core system. For that matter they could have *used* Wine back when the project split into the "Wine" and "ReWind" projects (the X11 license for ReWind would have been more to MS' liking). Of course ReWind fell by the wayside as less-desired forks usually do, so it wouldn't be much use to them now.

I suggested to Codeweavers a couple years back they should make a Wine-on-Windows product for those older applications MS breaks in newer MSWin versions.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I don't disagree. This is the argument that always comes up with Windows.... "but you're forgetting about niche use cases x, y, z that *require* Windows." I'm not forgetting about them. If you have industrial control systems that require Windows, then use Windows. I'm saying that a large portion of the users and use cases at every company could do away with Windows. Either they are already entirely web based or could be by virtualizing the few remaining desktop apps. Move those 80-90% of users to Linux (or Chrome if ease of use and management for web apps is the goal). It is exactly like the server side. There are some apps which require Windows Server. Ok, fine. Run Windows Server. The vast majority though should be on Linux.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
            Facepalm

The beancounters see huge reductions in CapEx by going to MS Cloud/Orifice 365.

No more justification is needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"The beancounters see huge reductions in CapEx by going to MS Cloud/Orifice 365."

Happily using Horble-Orifice 365 on LInux MINT in my work place, which means I get to play nicely with my Windows brethren but also get to run the O/S I prefer. Winner!

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
              Devil

"The beancounters see huge reductions in CapEx"

yet, LibreOffice is _FREE_ - no 'CapEx' there.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
            Unhappy

"It is amazing that companies still use Windows,"

No it's not if you study business, not IT.

Gates went to Harvard to study Business, not IT.

MS's "business" is making money by creating (and maintaining) a monopoly.

TBH quite a lot of companies would like to have this model but few can achieve it.

The first rule of (RL) monopoly is no one calls it a monopoly (while doing everything possible to ensure it remains one.).

You've got to keep the magic money tree fed.

1. P. Lee

MS's "business" is making money by creating (and maintaining) a monopoly.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

They don't need complete lock-out, just enough FUD to sustain them.

2. John Mangan
              Joke

Re: "It is amazing that companies still use Windows,"

"You've got to keep the magic money tree fed."

But Amber Rudd said there isn't a magic money tree?

1. Captain DaFt

"But Amber Rudd said there isn't a magic money tree?"

If you had one, would you admit it?

2. Kiwi

"You've got to keep the magic money tree fed."

But Amber Rudd said there isn't a magic money tree?

That's ok, we've fixed that now. All you need is....

#magicmoneytree

4. Mine's a Large One
            Unhappy

Problem is, some companies have in-house software that has been written around things like Office and so changing the OS means re-writing those, as well as the myriad of other tools (Visio, Project, SharePoint, etc) for which alternatives would have to be found - although if "it has to be Microsoft" at least Office365 can help that side of things by and large.

From my experience though, the biggest problem is that with things like Enterprise agreements and Office 365, it's all to easy for Microsoft to drop in new products - and then some people start quoting the mantra "because we've already got them why bother looking for anything else", notwithstanding the fact that cheaper (or free), better alternatives *are* out there.

I'd love to see us move to alternatives wherever we can, but sadly it's virtually impossible to prise the decision-making from those who eat, drink and sleep M$ and evangelise about it to the business.

5. Naselus

"Any large company is paying millions a year for Windows when they could use Linux or Chrome or both for free."

No, any large company is paying millions for Windows SUPPORT when they could be using Linux or Chrome with no support at all, or else paying just as many millions to Red Hat Software to support and train users in an OS that is incompatible with all of their main business software and which would require any bespoke programs they've created in the last 20 years to be re-written from scratch at great expense.

Which makes it a bit less of a mystery, doesn't it? Honestly, I like Linux as much as the next guy, but in the real world it is not going to replace Windows in the workplace. It's now dominant in the server room because it's well-suited to use there, and so it overtook Windows in a matter of just a few years. It's not well-suited in the desktop realm, which is why it's still a rounding error there despite a couple of decades of trying to push it.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Naselus - do you not think though, that a lot of the problem with user support at work is that most companies don;t seem to want to train their users in IT at all, and just go for the 'learn which options to select and which buttons to click, that's all you need to know' route instead? Thus because the suits that make the decisions dojn't want to rock the boat stick with Windows for various reasons (some good, some not so good) yer average workplace user's only experience of retraining is either being shown or discovering where the heck Microsoft decides to move that particular option to when the OS updates.

The amount of people sat at computers at work that simply learn by rote and don't have even the faintest clue of very simple stuff that'd help them immensely in their jobs is enormous, in my experience. Because companies won't ensure that their staff have even basic IT understanding (because that costs), they're kept in a state of thinking of IT as magic and fear using what they aren.t already using at work - which MS is fine with, because $ (naturally - that's what they exist to produce).

In effect, bosses don't want to move from Windows even when its practical through a combination of lack of understanding of IT and the retraining costs and because they know their staff will prefer the familiar because the bosses cant be bothered to train them properly, Yup -I understand well that there's lock-in on Windows due to machinery in some cases, and that doing anything about those is non-trivial for perfectly good reasons.

But I'd argue that just because MS managed to achieve lock-in on the desktop doesnt mean that Linux couldn;t do the necessary for a alrge chunk of users, because what most of them are susing these days are just browsers, so that they can access things like Salesforce. Even word processing, email and calndaring is or can be in the cloud (which personally I'm skeptical about but that's beside the point). So I'd disagree that Linux couldn't be used more widely in the workplace, I think it's essentially down to the hierarchy not understanding the issues and sticking with what they already know, in a lot of cases.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@Esme -

"@Naselus - do you not think though, that a lot of the problem with user support at work is that most companies don;t seem to want to train their users in IT at all, and just go for the 'learn which options to select and which buttons to click, that's all you need to know' route instead?"

It's because

(1) users don't always want to be trained in IT (older employees resistant to change, don't want to learn all about computers, younger employees have been using PCs since birth) and

(2) Businesses would rather be training employees how to do their job rather than how to use a PC.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"No, any large company is paying millions for Windows SUPPORT when they could be using Linux or Chrome with no support at all, or else paying just as many millions to Red Hat Software to support and train users in an OS that is incompatible with all of their main business software and which would require any bespoke programs they've created in the last 20 years to be re-written from scratch at great expense."

That is not true if you look at the numbers. Windows still charges for licenses. True that many companies have acquired the licenses they need, but there is still licensing costs. Second, the support costs for Windows are far higher than you would pay from Red Hat or Google (Chrome) with discounting. Take Chrome from Google for example. The OS license is free. The support is there... but it isn't just support for end user OS. In Chrome world, "support" includes all of the management, monitoring software. Take a look at how much the average large business pays for Enterprise CoreCAL (management software) per year... millions, just for the management software. It is true there are costs with Windows or Linux or Chrome... but Windows is far higher.

Third, what "main business software" are you talking about... SAP, Oracle, Salesforce, any commercial app runs via the browser and they don't care about those OS at all. No rewriting of the app needs to occur to move desktop apps to the browser, just virtualize them. Although, if they are thick client desktop apps, they probably are ancient and it might make sense to rewrite them.

3. Kiwi
              Linux

an OS that is incompatible with all of their main business software and which would require any bespoke programs they've created in the last 20 years to be re-written from scratch at great expense.

What, like Windows 8, 8.1, and 10? Especially 10.

6. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

It is amazing that companies still use Windows

Yeah - because all that nasty, business-critical legacy software[1] can be thrown away. Obviouly, no-one needs access to it, so Just Upgrade Baby!

Or to put it another way (with less sarcasm) - most corporate environments are not simple affairs with nice clean application sets or codebases. They are often (or at least, all the ones I've worked in have been) historically-accreted, obscure and full of twisty little passages, all alike. And a large number of grues scattered around the many, many dark corners. Change happens, but only slowly - because the business doesn't want change and won't, unless it has to.

[1] Even when it's internally-developed with access to all the source code. It's all still written in MS-Speak with dependencies on MS Office (and not just any - a specific version..).

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"most corporate environments are not simple affairs with nice clean application sets or codebases. They are often (or at least, all the ones I've worked in have been) historically-accreted, obscure and full of twisty little passages, all alike."

I agree, but how are IT departments able to use that as an excuse? It is crazy. It would be like if the accounting department was told by their auditor to move from GAAP to IFRS accounting rules and they said "Sorry, you don't know how disjointed our operations are, we are stuck in legacy processes and systems and painted ourselves into a bunch of corners. It's a real mess. Come back in five years and we'll see." If you apps and IT environment are a mess, make them not a mess.

7. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Disagree...large companies aren't paying millions a year to use Windows, they are paying millions a year for SUPPORT. The ability to call Microsoft and have someone onsite within 4 hours if needed is what they are paying for. Support contracts drive the business world. Switching to Linux wouldn't change that. In fact, it'd more likely be worse because there is no central Linux support because there are 8,522,903 flavors of it and there is no set way to do anything within the core. Some use apt-get, yum install, etc. all to do the same thing. I'm not sure why having to update or being told to update Windows is a bad thing either. It's saying "hey, there is this security update you need to install, you should install it" is that so bad? If people listened, WannaCry wouldn't have mattered. Same can be said about yahoos still using Windows XP and have those machines internet connected. STOP RUINING THE WORLD A-HOLES!!!!

Also, Linux is not ready for prime time. Mainly due to a lot of the reason I pointed out above. Until there is a SINGULAR Linux desktop version and a SINGULAR company to go to for support, it's going to be what it is today. Another reason is the average person has the same amount of skill on a computer that is required to tie a shoelace. The large majority of the world is computer stupid. They won't get it. Can you imagine trying to explain what root privileges are, why you need them and how to sudo or su to the average person?????!?!?!?!?!? And I've been a Linux user for 20 years. I always look at it this way. Can I hand the computer to my mom and walk away? No? Then it's not ready. I surely couldn't had my mom a Linux computer today, even Mint, and not expect to have conversations that would make me consider jumping off of a building.

2. Aitor 1

Oh, so you dont use cinnamon, and certainly you dont use USB devices heavily...

3. Rob D.

Looking for Alt-Windows, a few months ago I tried out Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, CentOS (a work thing) and eventually settled on Mint also. For me it provided the best usability and fitted my requirements of the OS fairly well. Quite honestly I haven't looked back since - I retained the Win7 dual boot but haven't booted it for ages.

But ready for prime time? It depends on your definition - for example, I use the system to provide PVR capabilities and long story short, I had to find and configure TVHeadEnd, find and configure Kodi, find and configure an obscure device driver for my DVB-T device, troubleshoot the internals of the device operation which in some circumstances simply failed silently, and even communicated with the device driver author about the location and likely cause of the failure. The driver itself is OK but susceptible to OS prioritisation so I had to modify the TVHeadEnd start-up control to increase its priority to get decent recording.

On Windows, Media Center just loaded the device and worked. Mass market by definition.

So will I be going back to Windows as the main OS? Absolutely not and if anyone wants a recommendation, I'd put Mint at the top of the list. Is Linux Mint a free ride to Nirvana? Not for everyone.

Side note in kind - Linux Mint works on modern hardware and it's variants have real applicability in the real world - Jeremy Corbyn is more of a CP/M proposition combining a nostalgic harking back a few decades to a simpler time with a lack of practical application in the real world of today.

4. Mark Dempster

>Until the balance suddenly tips, and people actually see Linux for what it is, a decent OS.<

In order to succeed on the desktop, Linux has to lose what its supporters evangelise over so much - choice. When there are so many distros and so many GUIs to choose from, that all do things in slightly different ways, you're not going to get the standardisation that business requires to make their users productive (standard training courses or manuals, etc).

In order for corporates to adopt it you'll also want compatibility with (or at least a close alternative to) Active Directory and Group Policy. Bake those into the OS and it might stand a chance; without it, support costs go through the roof.

1. DropBear
            Trollface

"I see 3 main Linux isn't gaining in the desktop market"

I, for one, see zero reasons...

2. John Savard

It certainly is true that if any new operating system is going to supplant Windows, it would have to be a new standard. One that third-party software developers can write software for.

And Linux isn't a standard when there are so many different distros. Can a binary run under Linux?

There's Linux for the x86 and for the ARM. There's Gnome and KDE.

In fact, though, one can assume that x86 is the "standard", and, as well, currently most modern applications only need some features from either Gnome or KDE that aren't in the basic Linux operating system itself. So if those two desktop environments could be unified, a common standard that Linux distros could support could be achieved.

Possibly BSD rather than Linux should be the basis for a "new standard", since one thing it will really need is good security.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yawn..... M$, Yawn Linux ooohhhhhhhhh lovely

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tedious......

If Microsoft went to the wall who the hell would you guys have to pick on next

My 5 year old behaves better than the vocal Linux community on here

I never slag off products, they each have their place - people are another matter - the only thing keeping me from using Linux are Linux users - the back stabbing arrogance of the vocal many (cant say majority) is enough to keep me away.

Sits back and awaits the downvotes

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Sits back and awaits the downvotes"

Downvoted primarily because you requested it, but also for doing precisely what you complained about. Lumping all users of one OS into the same boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Actually if you'd read it properly I did say MANY (can't say majority).

Its like anything in life though, when the community allows idiots to shout loud without reigning them back in, the voice of the idiots will be heard loudest (take Torvalds for instance, what a c**k). When the Linux community cleans up it's act it might be better placed at taking over in professional environments.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I never slag off products...

Only the people who have an opinion about them that is different to my own.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I said MANY (should have gone to specsavers)

3. Someone Else Silver badge

OK...Here's one!

4. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Yawn..... M$, Yawn Linux ooohhhhhhhhh lovely

Yeah, well you might like Windows, but for me it is a pile of shite.

Personally I spend much of my time in vi or at the bash prompt. With sed, awk and all the other clever tools on Linux I get soooo muuuuch done. I get to use a computer just as it was intended, as a tool to make my life easier.

I write a script the first time I do something then I run the script whenever I want to do it again. Or better, put it in cron, and it does it for me. Wiping my arse or what?

And Windows? Oh yes, I have to use that interface that is designed for even granny to use. Let me remember what I did before, hang on, here it is. Yep, click there and there, open that, enter some text (again; damn I've lost the link... ok. again); do some more mouse jiggery-pokery, click ok and...

Fuck, something went wrong. If only I could get the damned thing to remember what I did last time. Oh no I can't, because the interface is designed for granny. So we ALL have to live with the lowest common denominator.

THAT is why Windows is SHITE. Microsoft controls it not you.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn..... M$, Yawn Linux ooohhhhhhhhh lovely

Never said I dislike Linux over widows, as I said all OS's have their place.

IMHO when it comes to Linux in a professional environment, I'd like to see professional (in act not necessarily paid for) support and help. When in the past I've been on forums asking for help all I've encountered is abuse and ridicule because I'm a noob. On Windows forums, Windows issues are invariably greeted with "it must be a virus" or some other inane comment, but when I wade through the dross I can normally find something sensible.

I asked once about running Win 95 in a virtual environment on Linux - all I got was why would I want to do that....... Not one answer helping me with the problem I'd asked about, and it wasn't the first and last time I've posted and similar ridicule on a whole host of issues.. (and before anyone asks it's because the alternative would have been to spend £300k + on the big machine attached to the PC as nobody does software other than Win 95 for it)

Seriously, if Linux wants to be a viable alternative to Windows in a business environmanet, the Linux community needs to either oust the idiots or at the very least get them to keep their traps shut. Until such time I'll happily stick with Windows or (hell - I don't like to admit it) Apple or other.

This wasn't an attack on Linux or the large proportion of sensible Linux users - just the idiots - and anyone denying they are out there - well what side of the fence do you fall on ?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like