back to article Fuji Xerox's chairman resigns over 'improper accounting'

FujiXerox has apologised for what it calls “improper accounting” that saw its Australian and New Zealand operations book sales earlier than was usual, resulting in inflated sales figures. The company's apology says, after machine translation, that an independent committee has examined the books of the two subsidiaries and …

1. Christian Berger

Maybe they scanned their accounting documents on a Xerox copier?

That would explain some wrong numbers.

1. kmac499

Re: Maybe they scanned their accounting documents on a Xerox copier?

The collation unit spat them out in reverse order..

Seriously can you imagine what would happen if engineers decided; Ok Let's just ignore the rules of arithmetic while we design this nuclear power station and we'll catch up with reality later.

1. adam payne

Maybe the Xerox copier merged several print jobs together just for the hell of it.

2. FozzyBear
        Black Helicopters

Yes I truly believe that the old adage

Lies, damn lies and statistics has a forth shadowy figure.

It can twist and mangle numbers in on themselves. It allows the user to warp calculations to suit the outcome they are after.

I call it Accounting

2. big_D Silver badge

Interesting

to see them falling on their knives like that, and the rest of the board taking paycuts, to reflect their involvement in the affair.

You don't see that in most western companies:

Find scapegoat? Check

Fire scapegoat? Check

Business as usual? Check

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

Not exactly business as usual. I hear there has been a round of redundancies due to the financial issues.

3. Adam 1

Nothing to see here. Most likely just a small group of rogue engineersaccountants.

4. vteague

Don't worry I'm sure they got the Senate count just right.

http://www.aec.gov.au/elections/candidates/files/counting/css-technical-aspects.pdf

(Yes that whole red rectangle under "scanning and security tech" is Fuji-xerox.)

Perhaps next time we should let some Australian scrutineers do an audit of the paper ballots.

5. Yes Me Silver badge
    FAIL

SOP

"book sales earlier than was usual" was, er, pretty usual in many companies for many years. In fact, Standard Operating Procedure. But most salespeople figured out that they had to log the shipment off the loading dock and onto the truck by 23:59 on the last day of the quarter. Perhaps the famous "she'll be right" attitude in AU+NZ put paid to that.

6. Yes Me Silver badge
    Meh

And by the way...

...there was a clue a while back if you knew to look for it:

http://proprint.com.au/News/390287,fuji-xerox-boss-out-the-door.aspx

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon