back to article Microsoft dumps docs.com cloud file locker, sets December death-date

Microsoft's decided that Docs.com has to die in December. Docs.com is a file-sharing site that allows users to post files in the various Microsoft Office formats to the web, where they can be viewed by anyone. That feature set will be rather familiar to users of SlideShare, the file-sharing site owned by LinkedIn. With …

1. Barry Rueger

The Almighty Cloud

Tell me again why you should rely on The Cloud as the preferred tool to create or store documents? Why the convenience it might offer outweighs the risk that your provider will wake up one morning and shut you down.

Stories like this, and Google's habit of killing off services, are what make me wary of relying on cloud services for anything critical.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Almighty Cloud

Only Tools use the Cloud.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

That and the likes of Dropbox deleting everything if it detects a disconnect and decides that was a delete/re-sync request.

Automatically upgrading customers services... ;)

3. Fatman

<quote>Tell me again why you should rely on The Cloud as the preferred tool to create or store documents? Why the convenience it might offer outweighs the risk that your provider will wake up one morning and shut you down.</quote>

NOT if it is your cloud! (i.e YOU own it!)

1. Hans 1

YOU own it!

You think you own it, you own jack sh*t, as usual, there is a "license agreement" in place, which one party can alter the way it feels, discontinuing the service even if you are a paying customer and the service as such was profitable ...

Welcome to the beautiful world of banks, lawyers, shareholders, share prices and dividends.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

@Hans 1 - I think Fatman was implying you spin up your own cloud, ie run a private cloud which is effectively what every business ran before AWS, Azure et al.

2. Barry Rueger

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even running your own service in an AWS instance has to be better than trusting that some "cloud based provider" won't disappear next week.

4. N2

...Stories like this, and Google's habit of killing off services, are what make me wary of relying on cloud services for anything.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Wherever I lay my hat...

Hey where's me hat gone?!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The Microsoft way

1. ${technology} is the best and will replace all ${previous_technology} immediately! use it now! now! now! We won't support our cloud/dev ops/collaboration/document storage/cloud/cloud/enterprise/universal fabulon/share price/manager bonuses/developers/customers with ${previous_technology}

2. Devs switch from ${previous_technology} to ${technology}. Have to re-write everything, often at a considerable cost, and lose functionality their customers love because it turns out ${technology} doesn't functionally replace ${previous_technology}, but instead adds a bit and takes away a lot.

3. Microsoft issues statement on how well ${technology} is doing and how it's the strategic future. Customers notice that not much improvement is going into ${technology}.

4. Major security problem found with ${technology} that did not apply to ${previous_technology}.

5. 1 year passes.

6. previous_technology=${technology}

7. technology=new excretion from the depths

8. goto 1

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: The Microsoft way

But the PHBs love it because Slurp says it is the best though probably 5 years behind everyone else.

4. Nehmo

In the early days of the internet, I didn't have a computer. Well, actually, my girlfriend smashed it, and they weren't as easy to replace as they are today (the computer, not the girlfriend). Anyway, I used the cloud (before it knew it was a cloud) site called Visto. It worked OK, and I even lauded its benefits on the Usenet.

Then one day, without warning, it died.

I didn't have a backup.

There are a few of them nowadays http://www.networkworld.com/article/2932962/cloud-storage/19-free-cloud-storage-options.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like