back to article IBM warns itself of possible outages in lab shift screw-up

A cost-cutting measure at IBM to shift a hybrid cloud lab to a new location has itself been scuppered by a cost-cutting measure, insiders have told The Reg. Big Blue's moneymen in the accounts department have given a last-minute reprieve to a facility in Austin, Texas, which houses engineers that run workloads internally for …

1. Alister
    Facepalm

"please let us know if this service interruption (some services possibly up to two weeks) could be a major impact to your product release schedules".

Well, given that:

The IT services provided by those facilities included virtual systems, control desk, software configuration management, build automation, ID build automation, appscan source vulnerability scanning, and continuous delivery with UrbanCode Deploy

I would suggest it might have an impact?

I wonder if this is a somewhat drastic method of finding out what services they need to keep... turn 'em off for two weeks, and if no-one complains, they obviously weren't required.

1. Chairo
      Facepalm

"turn 'em off for two weeks" is a very dangerous but all too common approach.

If one of those services is only needed once a year but then it is absolutely essential, eg. for auditing purposes, you will surely miss it.

1. Alister
        Facepalm

Yes, I should have included the <sarc> tag, it appears...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"two week outage"

My guess is that IBM setup a team of project managers, middle management and technical people to manage the move.

As soon as the first round of resource actions came, the technical people were gotten rid of.

When the second round of resource action came, they started getting rid of the project managers until they struggled to organise the meetings.

The project scope has now changed to leave everything where it is and sell it as keeping jobs in the US to support Mr Trump.

Note: before down voting, that's a dig at IBM not Trump...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

that's a dig at IBM not Trump...

Down-voted for the dig at IBM. You're always going to piss somebody off.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: that's a dig at IBM not Trump...

"Down-voted for the dig at IBM. You're always going to piss somebody off."

Doesn't make it any less true though...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "two week outage"

"that's a dig at IBM not Trump"

Downvoted for not realising the two are not mutually exclusive when it comes to digs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I wonder if this is a somewhat drastic method of finding out what services they need to keep... turn 'em off for two weeks, and if no-one complains, they obviously weren't required."

That would make sense. I was in charge of a World Wide DC move for a 8+ B USD company in 2010.

At one point, during our coordination of a set of rack moving to the other site with the movers, my colleague cut his hand badly, resulting in a lot of discussions outside of the DC (security, HR etc ...).

Turned out no-one was supervising the movers, and they unplugged a couple of racks (still running !) by mistake. We basically shut down half a dozen of Live applications for which no shutdown was requested.

Since no-one ever complained, I was always wondering how much of the whole, in my opinion largely oversized DC was used. Before leaving the company, I really wanted to know, so spent my last month setting up Cacti on every DC server.

Turned up: 95% of the systems would do nothing, on a period of one month, nothing at all. Only a dozen of them would run some workload. All was due to poor process (new app = new system) and never any decommissioning or capacity mgmt.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep: new app -> new box

Years ago, our Unix-shop was acquired by a Windows-shop (two order of magnitude larger). We ran lots of things on few Sparc servers; they ran few things on lots of Intel "servers", each one grossly underutilised running a single application. I atribute this to a PC-centric legacy that polluted the DC.

2. Mephistro
    Devil

"...and where the new facilities on both sides of the Atlantic will be based."

They'll probably be based beside the Indian Ocean.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sounds like he didn't really want Austin to close, what with threatening a fortnights outage of some services.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Immobilization by Beancounter Mediocrity?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet IBM are selling their expertise in Cloud

IBM Cloud

Don't make me laugh!

1. Sil

Re: And yet IBM are selling their expertise in Cloud

Yep, isn't the cloud supposed to almost completely mitigate downtime in this kind of situation? Perhaps the IBM Cloud is too expensive for IBMers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And yet IBM are selling their expertise in Cloud

By 'cloud' in this case, they mean Tivoli and related products. IBM rebranded it as 'cloud'... because there is automation involved or something. It is the VMware definition of "private cloud", what most people would consider to be the opposite of cloud (on prem management software).

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

2 weeks downtime?

Really?

What they doing, turning them off, putting them in boxes, sticking them in the post with a 2nd class stamp and then putting them back in one at a time?

FFS, we're lucky if we get 2 minutes downtime.

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: 2 weeks downtime?

"What they doing, turning them off, putting them in boxes, sticking them in the post with a 2nd class stamp and then putting them back in one at a time?"

Probably. Well, except for the "2nd class stamp" part. But if you don't have money for new servers, that's how you do a move. If you're lucky you can stagger it to reduce the workload and limit downtime for any one system, but not if you have to get it all on one truck (for budget reasons, again.) I've done moves like that in academia. Moving a full rack of servers single-handedly took me just about a week from shutting everything down to powering back up the last machine, including the two days it took to get the servers picked up and driven across town. By the end I felt like one of the guys trapped inside the data center in "When Sysadmins Ruled The World".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2 weeks downtime?

What they doing, turning them off, putting them in boxes, sticking them in the post with a 2nd class stamp and then putting them back in one at a time?

Yes, that's exactly how IBM does it. I know because I've DONE an IBM datacenter/department shutdown.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Downtime should be no surprise. IBM doesn't really care about customer impact. More importantly, IBM Management doesn't care about customer impact. They can't outsource it all to India, but they will try, as much as they can. That of course results in not only service disruptions, but a decline in customer satisfaction, which will lead to many bailing on Lenovo hardware and ultimately, Lenovo bailing on IBM for services. As for "IBM Cloud", that's the joke that keeps on giving, much like IBM Watson Automation is billed as "AI", when it is about as far from AI as anyone can get...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

also leads to

lack of internal expertise (in this case in their own products) leading to fossilisation of current configuration and nobody left to specify replacement/uplifts where needed

far more limits on use cases able to be tested (likely internally charged/services more limited)

very little feedback into the cloud development teams (making future offerings even worse)

May as well kill the entire idea and just let customers rent someone else's cloud to test IBM's

End of cynical rant...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As for "IBM Cloud", that's the joke that keeps on giving, much like IBM Watson Automation is billed as "AI", when it is about as far from AI as anyone can get...

Not if you define "AI" as "Artificial Idiocy".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is good news, IBM is getting better.

Normally, I don't get any warning and it takes two weeks to get an answer.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The IT services provided by those facilities included virtual systems, control desk, software configuration management, build automation, ID build automation, appscan source vulnerability scanning, and continuous delivery with UrbanCode Deploy."

Glad I'm not on that project - scares me to death just reading about it.

10. Timo

extreme short term viewpoint

In many cases it costs money in the short term to save money over the long term. When a company is so focused on the short term finances that they lose track of the bigger picture then they're not going to last very long. Management will formulate the idea that they're very expensive to maintain and will sell off or shut down the whole thing.

This is where private equity can come in and make the correct big picture investments and make money.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: extreme short term viewpoint

Or asset strip and load up the company with a huge amount of debt (often incurred by acquiring the company in the first place).

I guess there is good and bad private equity...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: extreme short term viewpoint

Good private equity = long term investment private equity

Bad private equity = short term investment private equity

i.e. the difference between Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway is basically publicly traded private equity) and Carl Icahn.

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It looks as if the final implosion is getting close.

12. Grunt #1

The real reason?

The relocation project was offshored and someone realised what they had done as well as the likely consequences.

13. EveryTime

The quote "it is inevitable there will be significant service outages" is amusing.

Isn't avoiding scheduled outages one of the key points of cloud applications? You certainly can't avoid them all, but there should never be a few weeks of downtime.

I do believe that many machines are grossly underutilized. But sometimes beancounters are counting the wrong beans. I've had many obsolete servers that ran lightly-used vital services. Generally they were part of the build, packaging or validation of an obsolescent but still supported system. It's far, far cheaper to keep them running than to spend several weeks trying exactly reproduce the validated environment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like