back to article Curiosity drills into the watery origins of Mars

The Martian rock samples dug up by NASA's Curiosity robotic rover show that there is a wide diversity of minerals, allowing scientists to piece together the planet's past. The results have been published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters. Elizabeth Rampe, first author of the study and NASA researcher at the …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Salsberry Peak? Seriously?? NASA scientists can't spell "Salisbury"??

1. jake Silver badge

They spelled it correctly. (Allergic to Subjects^WTitles, Gene?)

https://www.anyplaceamerica.com/directory/ca/inyo-county-06027/summits/salsberry-peak-1661368/

Named after a developer (con artist?) named Jack Salsberry, who sold/promoted mining claims in the area around the Black Mountains, in the South East corner of what we now call Death Valley National Park in the early 1900s.

2. Rattus Rattus

Maybe I'm not understanding magnetite here...

But oxidised AND reduced? Isn't one the opposite of the other?

1. DNTP

Re: Maybe I'm not understanding magnetite here...

Simple, really- magnetite can be thought of as oxidized elemental iron, or oxidized FeO. But it can also be thought of as reduced Fe(3+) oxides such as hematite. It is an intermediate state of the iron redox spectrum.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maybe I'm not understanding magnetite here...

I think the original geochemistry has been mangled either in the press release or in the Reg's article.

Magnetite and haematite are good indicators for the oxidation/reduction state of the conditions when a rock formed, or was altered by hydrothermal processes. Oxidation causes a process known as martitisation which sees the replacement of magnetite by haematite, whilst mushketovitisation has haematite being converted to magnetite due to reduction by hydrogen.

So you can work out the redox conditions in water from the sediments laid down at the time which gives you a clue of the different environments that would have been present. Examining iron oxides from the Gale sediments suggest the margins of the crater were generally oxidising whilst the central region was more typically highly-reduced.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tridymite

Found in rocks that were partially melted? Like say from the impact of a decent sized meteor?

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

If we don't find some life there soon

then I'm all for getting out to Saturn's rings and giving some icebergs a nudge in the right direction. A few hundred years of wet meteors should sort out the water problems.

1. annodomini2

Re: If we don't find some life there soon

We need to smack something fairly big and at a fair speed to re-melt the core, otherwise adding water is for nothing as the thin atmosphere will cause it to evaporate and the solar wind will strip it away.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Mars' escape velocity is 5km/s so anything incoming is going to have at least that much speed behind it. I don't see melting an iceberg as a major problem.

The idea is to do it with lots and lots of icebergs. Any water disassociating in to H2 and O2 will probably lose the hydrogen but keep the oxygen around for a while. Which is rather useful for ape-descended life forms who still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

1. Orv Silver badge

I think he might have meant the core of the planet. Mars is solid all the way through and (probably as a result) has no magnetic field, which is (probably) how its atmosphere got stripped away. Without something to protect it a new atmosphere is just going to be stripped away by the solar wind.

1. herman

Well, wrap some wire around Mars and hook up a solar panel or two - sounds like a job for Elon...

1. IT Poser

Dyson-Harrop satellites could work without the need for millions of km of wire.

5. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fascinating stuff!

Big thumbs up to the boffins involved!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, yes...

But when can the hippies start buying these various salts as miracle holistic health crap in Whole Foods?

I want to see Gordon Ramsay season a steak with Martian "might have been a sea" Salt.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Yes, yes...

I want to see Ramsay mining the stuff on Mars. Without a pressure suit. Should be good for a giggle.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, yes...

I want to see Ramsay mining the stuff on Mars. Without a pressure suit. Should be good for a giggle.

If nothing else it'll stop the swearing..

7. Faux Science Slayer

Mars has 635,000 craters one km in diameter or larger....

Mars has six craters 400 km in diameter. Hellas Planitia is 2300 km in diameter and 9 km deep indicating an impact by a dense object approximately 300,000 km in diameter, or 20% of the Sun's diameter.

Planet X, or Nibiru, the claimed long orbit brown dwarf of our solar system may be real and the cause of Mars, and previous Earth extinction events.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Mars has 635,000 craters one km in diameter or larger....

Mars, with a diameter of just under 3,400 km, was impacted by an object "approximately" 300,000 km in diameter? And yet Mars is still with us?

JOE! Say it ain't so! It'll do you a world of good :-)

2. DNTP

Let's do some elementary sanity-checking. If there is an object...

1. 20% Sol diameter

2. Within or previously transiting the solar system...

2a. on a Mars-intercepting trajectory of the right energy to neither merge with Mars nor destroy Mars

...then it would be incredibly noticible. Point 2a is important because it significantly constrains the allowable orbits relative to Mars for such an object- in other words, that excludes an aphelion far enough to render it unspottable by current technology, as well as the possibility of a hyperbolic trajectory. Further, something of that size within those constraints would exhibit significant gravitational interaction with, well, everything including artificial satellites and that also would be noticed.

3. The government is conspiring to hide knowledge of this body to prevent worldwide panic, but a few people are being telepathically warned by the Zetan aliens to save humanity from the impending apocalypse and the aliens are doing this extremely inefficiently for some reason.

3. Orv Silver badge

I'm pretty sure an object 20% the Sun's diameter that hit Mars would have turned it into an asteroid belt, or pancaked it across its surface and carried on. It also would have disturbed the orbits of other inner planets. For comparison, Earth got hit by an object "only" the size of Mars while still mostly molten, and that significantly changed its angular momentum and ejected enough material to create the moon.

4. herman

Err... how could an object 300,000 km in diameter (45 times larger diameter than Mars) make a hole only 2300 km in diameter? I think you should hand your primary school math certificate back.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well if we wanted to be really kind to his theory we could alter it slightly to give it a 'slightly' more plausible scenario..

How about it the orbit of this giant planet passes, in astronomical terms, near to mars once every X,000 years or however long it's supposed orbit is.

We could say that orbital detrius from this giant planet peppered mars and earth and could be possible for an extinction event or two.

However, that would be exceptionally kind...

1. Orv Silver badge

I did occur to me that he might have meant 20% the size of Mars, but that wouldn't fit with the rest of the post.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'minerals like Hematite which are rich in iron and magnesium'

Haematite = Fe2O3 - rich in iron, bugger all magnesium.

9. herman

Until they spot a dinosaur skeleton, nobody will believe that there was life on Mars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like