back to article White-box security webcam scatters vulnerabilities through multiple OEMs

The Internet of Things got just a lot worse, with F-Secure unravelling eighteen vulnerabilities in IP cameras from Chinese vendor Foscam. The company complains that after several months, “no fixes have been issued” – in other words, situation normal in IoT-land. The bugs are spread far and wide, because while only two …

1. Elmer Phud

IoT misnamed?

Shirley by now it should be 'I own Twats' as the number of wide -pen devices seems to multiply rather than diminish.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: IoT misnamed?

As has long been said:

The "S" in IoT stands for security.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Sounds like they use the development process outlined by "The Dead Kennedys"

"You'll work better with a gun in your back, for a bowel of rice a day."

Somehow all this old security s**t never seems to get old to these people.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Sounds like they use the development process outlined by "The Dead Kennedys"

a bowel of rice a day.

A bowel of rice a day's quite a lot. The large intestine is, what, 22ft long?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"A bowel of rice a day's quite a lot. The large intestine is, what, 22ft long?"

Oops.

I seem to be having trouble with my worms today.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: "A bowel of rice a day's quite a lot. The large intestine is, what, 22ft long?"

Ah Team 17's finest game...

3. Pen-y-gors

Why, oh why?

I'm sure some of these gadgets are useful, but why the fcuk do they always need to be connected to the Interwebs? CCTV is very useful in a shop or even a home, but why do you need to be able to access it from Australia or Russia? There are cases for remote access, but it shouldn't be the blasted default. I had an argument with a colleague about getting a new EPOS system for our little shop recently - she liked the one which she could access from her phone. Why??????

1. goldcd

Re: Why, oh why?

I'd like one I could access from my phone - actually I have one.

Where I think the issue is, is with allowing all these wonderful IoT bits and pieces to expose themselves to the wider world.

Open VPN supported by most decent routers, allowing you to dial phone from your phone, into the security carnage.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"but why the fcuk do they always need to be connected to the Interwebs?"

The main reason for security cameras is that they would be pretty useless if the burglars ran off with the laptop or server that the cameras were recording on.

Another reason is upgrades. Many people aren't tech aware enough to do their own upgrades by downloading then uploading and installing. I had to do my NAS server a year or so ago and it was a stressful nightmare. A relative phones me every so often because the flash update on Firefox hasn't worked. The conversation always goes like.

"Open a Finder window".

"What's Finder? What do you mean a window?".

"Look on the thing that pops up on the bottom of the screen for a blue smiley face thing - probably on the left hand side".

"OK. Wait a minute while I close everything that's on the screen.".

"You don't need to do that - just open Finder".

"Hang on, I'm just closing everything that's on the screen".

etc. There's lots of "...look up at the very top right, then come down a bit - just next to the green dot....". They don't know what the following words mean: App, Folder, Return Key, Window, Finder, Side Bar, Column Header, Sort, Home Folder, Default, Settings, ............

They are not stupid; they are like the vast majority of home PC users who just use them to buy stuff on eBay and watch films and have no knowledge of what happens under the hood.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

"I'm sure some of these gadgets are useful, but why the fcuk do they always need to be connected to the Interwebs? "

Yep. It's not Closed Circuit TeleVision if the Circuit is open to world + dog!

4. abracadabra

Come on smarts

Sort this IOT stuff out - RFC anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Come on smarts

It won't help. People don't know how much more they should pay for security or even if they are getting more security for their money. With enough public education they might pay a tiny bit more if it said RFC secutity compliant on the box, but it might as well say IoT seccurity compliant.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Let's hope they get on BrickerBot's list soon.

6. /dev/null

Chacon, Thomson, 7links, Netis, Turbox, Novodio, Ambientcam, Nexxt, Technaxx...

Who? Most of those sound like planets out of Elite to me....

7. sjsmoto

Looks like we need an Underwriters Laboratories for checking internet connection safety in devices.

1. Stoneshop
      Pirate

Nearly all IdioT devices

will be better served by the Undertakers Laboratories

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Market opportunity......

How long until (inbound and outbound) consumer WAF appliances become the norm?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like