back to article Boffins have figured out a way of speeding up X-ray data collection

Researchers have developed a method to improve the characterisation of superfast X-rays that they say will allow data to be collected up to a thousand times faster. Physicists, biologists and chemists use X-ray pulses created by free-electron lasers, known as XFELs, to probe the structures and interactions of molecules. …

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    Mushroom

So...

Actual measurement will be replaced by (machine) educated guessing. Greeeaaat!

What could possibly go wrong?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: So...

To me the implication was that ML was used as part of the design for the new test instead of as part of the new test.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Your current MRI or CT scan is a machines best guess of what your insides look like consistent with the noisy readings.

Adding knowledge of what your insides should look like can only increase the quality of the result

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wonder what happens if your insides don't look like they should, like if you are one of those rare people with everything reversed, and the heart on the right and liver on the left?

2. Flakk
    Joke

But Of Course It Is

Suffering from the heartbreak of seborrhea and psoriasis?

Machine learning is the solution.

Have an erection lasting longer than four hours?

Concerned about all the grease you get from frying bacon?

Struggling to make your mark in a tech industry overflowing with solutions to meet problems both real and imagined?

Well... you know...

3. GBE

superfast X-rays

"superfast X-rays"

Finally...

I was getting tired waiting on the old slow X-rays that only travel at 1 c.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like