back to article Class clowns literally classless: Harvard axes meme-flinging morons

At least ten students due to start at Harvard this fall have had their admission offers torn up – after they swapped offensive piffle online. Specifically, the cyber-garbage was posted on the official Harvard College Class of 2021 Facebook group, set up for applicants who have been accepted by the Ivy League university. Some …

Page:

1. Cris E
    Holmes

The one good thing about social media...

...is how easy it makes it to spot dumb people. Wow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Humor vs. Stupid

"I appreciate humor, but there are so many topics that just should not be joked about,"

Just ask Kathy Griffin.

2. Daedalus

Re: The one good thing about social media...

This is Hahvahd we're talking about. The qualifications are like Oxbridge: money or high intelligence, both accepted at a pinch. So "dumb" is not likely to apply, and the money students wouldn't be facing expulsion, such is the way of the world.

What's more interesting is how postings from a private group leaked to the point where TPTB could see them. Somebody snitched?

1. Cris E

Dumb is most certainly likely to apply, moreso when your life protects you from most consequences. For example, what sort of idiot thought they could post some of those things in the main group without a second look? Who imagined there wasn't going to be a snitch? What kind of response was expected once this mess came to light?

Just because your money or connections can get you out of trouble doesn't mean you lack the native gifts to get into the ditch in the first place. Dumb has as much to do with common sense as intelligence.

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Does any one read past the first paragraph these days?

"What's more interesting is how postings from a private group leaked to the point where TPTB could see them. Somebody snitched?"

From the article itself:

"A number of students went to the uni's authorities, who stepped in to examine the allegations."

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Pen-y-gors

"I appreciate humor [sic], but there are so many topics that just should not be joked about,"

I don't think so - really there are very very few, but context, timing and audience is everything. Often joking about bad things is how people deal with them. There's a world of difference between laughing at someone's problem and laughing with them. The Maltesers ad?

4. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: THe Problem with Social Media

Is that it allows you to see just how many ignorant people there are out there, something that I would prefer to be ignorant about......

2. Stevie

Bah!

While I fully applaud the effort to clean up this sewer, two points I see:

a) Kicking out the students involved was not an intelligent way to go about this. I can envisage several more onerous ways of re-indoctrinating Da Yoofs while still milking them for their fees,

2) The offended young lady who joined these fora: Did she actually post anything or was she there just to be offended?

Teaching students that Free Speech does not exist on the internet is a great thing. I support all efforts to throw a bucket of cold reality over anyone who thinks otherwise.

But semi-professional outrage is becoming tedious, and can end in such unpleasant side-effects as the election of the Clown Car Caucus to real power.

As for Kathy Griffin: Same applies. Make her sit in the unpopular corner for a bit by all means. Voting with yer feet is always an option (at least for now). But save me the fake outrage over a fake chopped-off head that looked nothing like OPOTUS. Nobody seriously thinks she has an army of people waiting to assault Mara Lago to remove anyone's head.

Well, I say that but given the utter tripe I've heard people declaring as true in the last year I suppose there might be a few dolts who do think that.

1. Cris E

Re: Bah!

A little agree, a little not so much.

Kathy Griffin was dumb and not funny and got abused online, but she doesn't deserve the amount of crap she's received. But these weren't a bunch of random strangers who met on 4chan. These were hand-picked by the august institution to constitute the next class and acting as a group. They had no context outside of that, so when it came to light (and who expected it not to?) the school was put into a spot where they could say "Yup, those are our cherubs!" or "Whoa, OK, they aren't in yet, right?"

What was going to happen? Expect stuff like this to come to light, especially in a university context where kids are just starting to flex their voices. Expect large organizations to make the expedient PR move rather than defend stuff like pinata baby jokes. Expect rich kids who could get into Harvard to come out of this just fine.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Kicking out the students involved was not an intelligent way to go about this

Harvard's first priority is its reputation. If it doesn't have a good reputation, donations, rich parents sending their darlings there, etc. will soon dry up. Allowing students with such views in, would be a very brave (or foolish!) thing to do.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free Speech does not exist on the internet

They weren't arrested. Free speech was exercised.

1. nijam Silver badge

> Free speech was exercised

The word is "excised".

1. Eddy Ito

Excised? I think you're confused. Harvard exercised its freedom of association rights just as the applicants exercised their right to free speech. The only thing excised was Harvard from the relationship with the applicants in question.

4. Rob D.

They didn't kick out the students involved - they kicked out those who had crossed whatever line they determined defined inappropriate aka stoopid behaviour. A written job offer would probably go up in smoke if you managed to transgress acceptable levels of behaviour before joining a new company.

And perhaps the young lady quoted had joined in mid-December and the offensive content only started to appear later. Bit presumptuous to assert that she was just being a snowflake especially if we haven't seen the contentious content.

Free Speech is possible on the Internet - this story just demonstrates that someone exercising their right to also be a complete prat does sometimes have consequences which is the valuable lesson. No semi-professional offense-taking required.

1. LaeMing
        Facepalm

Actually, Free Speech (TM) is extremely easy and well supported on the internet.

It is just that being held accountable for what you freely speak is also well supported.

1. Stevie

But it isn't a right guaranteed by an old piece of parchment, more of a "let things go on until they go too far" affair. It is entirely at the discretion of those who own the platform.

Not the same thing at all.

2. Stevie

"They didn't kick out the students involved - they kicked out those who had crossed whatever line they determined defined inappropriate aka stoopid behaviour."

And in doing so they opened themselves to the old "Select ten peasants and make an example of them" abuse of power charges.

Look, I'm not saying what these idiots did was acceptable. But isn't one purpose of a University to widen the student's perceptions and open them to new ideas? Including how to be adult and know when to keep schtum?

Does anyone really think anything good will come of this action? Or is it possible that now we have a group of young people convinced that they were victimized for their out-of-mainstream opinions and denied their future over it?

Look around - look what happens when such people gather together and make their voices heard at the right (or wrong) time. They may not be the only ones rubbing their hands in glee but they were part of the claque that enacted Operation Fuck-Em Where They Beathe.

There were cleverer options open to the supposedly intelligent people holding court.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For all we know the young ones will look back in thirty years and say, "Just think, if I had wound up going to Harvard I'd still be paying off that stupid student loan. What? Oh. Sorry, the robot that makes the curly fries just broke, did you want onion rings or regular fries instead?"

5. BarryUK

Sorry, how is this a free speech issue? The government is not going to lock anyone up for what they said. Free speech doesn't mean complete impunity. Private individuals and organisations are perfectly free to take any legal actions they like as a response to what you say. That's freedom too.

6. fajensen
      Joke

2) The offended young lady who joined these fora: Did she actually post anything or was she there just to be offended?

The Social Media Singularity is this: Everyone on social media is there specifically to be offended and to offend others, while ratting out all of the offensives to moderators and authorities.

PS:

It is a plot forged from the globalist cabal of "World Improvers", those that gave us "Arab Spring" and "Iraqi WMD's"

While the unreasonable people are thus fully occupied, world peace is theoretically possible - except they brainiacs who came up with this plan forgot that the unreasonable are commonly also unreasoning, thus they cannot distinguish "Digital" from "Reality" and they carry their rage over being offended into the real world.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Slightly excessive punishment

While the applicants' behaviour and their topics for "humour" sound quite reprehensible, I can't help but think that the punishment seems rather excessive.

These are 16 - 18 year old teenagers. We've all been there (possibly some Reg readers still are, in fact), and we all know that a lot of teenagers (of any gender) can essentially be total dicks. At that age we often still find inappropriate things funny (or are encouraged to do so in order to feel part of a group (peer pressure), teenage life can still be hard and confusing, and you are still trying to find out who you are). You would hope that school and parental education would do a better job nowadays to discourage any sort of discriminatory behaviour from early childhood onwards, but we know that that doesn't always happen, and some people mature later than others (if at all).

A better solution would surely have been to demand a public apology from the applicants and make it implicit and explicit that their behaviour at the university might be watched a little more closely than others.

If they are still fratboy dicks after their first year and haven't learned how to be more properly adult, then they can potentially be chucked out if they continue to breach the university's rules of student conduct, and at least the university will have got a year's fees out of them.

There are (sadly) bound to be as many students at Harvard (and elsewhere) who will behave just as dickishly while there, but will hopefully turn into responsible adults (although some sadly won't), but who by sheer luck weren't foolish enough to act up online at this point in time. It seems a bit unfair not to give these applicants at least one chance to make a mistake and then try to redeem themselves.

3. mrobaer
    Childcatcher

Student Code of Conduct

Wouldn't there be a code of conduct that these students-to-be would have agreed to? Either way, free speech can be costly. I'll consider it a lesson for all to learn from. But I doubt much will be learned. It seems like every week there's news of people getting let go for social media antics.

1. Stevie

Re: Student Code of Conduct

Social Media has become The Clap of the Digital Age: no matter who initiates the interaction, everyone comes away scratching their crotch and vowing "never again".

Employers abuse their position when they scrape (there is no more appropriate verb) social media to dig up the dirt on a prospective hire.

Young would-be employees retain an idiotic naivety when it comes to using social media platforms, behaving on-line in an exaggeratedly juvenile manner, then have the nerve to act surprised when they're found out.

Somewhere in the middle is a happy medium in which juvenile behavior can be forgiven - up to a point - and employers understand that without a safety valve the boiler can blow with catastrophic results.

Bring on the EMP.

2. Mark 85

Re: Student Code of Conduct

It seems like every week there's news of people getting let go for social media antics.

I'd lay odds that the "social media antic" was the justification but that many of them were already on a "hit" list.

4. DNTP

At least they were stopped now,

rather than in four years when those kid's parents end up suing companies that reject their little Johnny's first job application after seeing what a quick google search turns up...

5. J.Smith

Reputations

Harvard has a fine reputation, George W'ya is a Harvard graduate.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Reputations

Actually anther Imbecile League - Yale. The Bushes are originally from Connecticut.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reputations

While George W. did get an MBA from Harvard, he was only there 2 years and is generally considered a Yale man. Obama was a Harvard man too, even editor Harvard Law Review. They are two of the 7 former US Presidents with Harvard degrees.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nobody loves a snitch.

1. Maryland, USA
      Thumb Up

Um, I do

Snitches like the brother who turned in America's Unabomber after recognizing his rants in the New York Times. Snitches like parents in the UK and the USA who warn the police about their wayward sons.

7. Nick Kew
    Coat

So what would Harvard have to say about the Bullingdon club and necroporcophilia?

8. Florida1920

It's called "drawing the line"

If we don't set limits and examples for privileged young people, we'll keep getting this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Couch

1. Brenda McViking

Re: It's called "drawing the line"

What, because sharing a bad taste image on facebook is in any way equatable to death by drink-driving?

Privilege might the reason some undergrads will be accepted. The others are probably rather clever, and many will be present on some part of the autistic spectrum as well - and there is a higher chance such people may well see nothing wrong with and actively seek out "darker" humour.

However, there is an enormous difference between finding a bad-taste image funny and acting in a way which actually causes others harm. Undergrads are still very young adults and they will still be testing boundaries to find levels of societal acceptability. Extricating them from their academic lives before they've even started the course is extreme, particularly given that this is purely about sharing images (on a private group no less), something virtually every teen does on a daily basis.

In my opinion this is a collosal overreaction based on theoretical offensiveness. Deserving of a reprimand? absolutely, but not more. This is from the same chain of thought that videogames cause killing sprees and books are corrupting the morals of the edwardian youth.

1. Florida1920

In my opinion this is a collosal overreaction

If we ignore 'pinata' jokes, offensive behavior becomes normalized, making it easier to take the next step, and the next, etc. Society, and the institutions within it, must draw a line. Or you wind up with a POTUS who bragged about being allowed (in his privileged mind) to sexually abuse women, and then goes on to.... oh, read the press!

2. the Jim bloke

" and they will still be testing boundaries to find levels of societal acceptability."

Yep.

Found em..

As supposedly intelligent young adults they need to be aware of what they can get away with, and where... and anything associated with a professional organisation or status vendor is not the place to show how hard core politically incorrect you can be.

Stupidity is its own reward

9. Haku

"I appreciate humor, but there are so many topics that just should not be joked about,"

Has Jessica Zhang never seen a Jimmy Carr stand-up video?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: "I appreciate humor, but there are so many topics that just should not be joked about,"

Get her to one of his live shows so he can single her out for the treatment.

2. Lamont Cranston

Re: "Has Jessica Zhang never seen a Jimmy Carr stand-up video?"

No one deserves to suffer that fate.

1. Stratman

Re: "Has Jessica Zhang never seen a Jimmy Carr stand-up video?"

The only time I ever laughed at Jimmy Carr was when the taxman came a-calling.

10. Rather Notsay

USSA

"several students in a private group chat". It is none of Harvard's business what their students discuss in private. This is why snitches get stitches.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: USSA

That 'private group chat' was on the Harvard web-boards so yes, it was their business as it breached their T&Cs

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"In private."

On Facebook.

3. Cris E
      Alert

Get real. When they acted it cast a shadow on the brand, and the company will act in its own defense. Those kids were not "soccer players" or "from New York" or "4chan creeps" but "Harvard admittees". That's a Harvard logo on a story about pinata babies. Expect trouble.

11. tiggity Silver badge

Thought Police

People have different views on what is offensive (or not).

There is not a one size fits all definition of offensive.

Unimpressed by the over reaction.

1. LaeMing

Re: Thought Police

It is their university, so they get to choose who gets in. If you had invited someone to a party at your house then found out they were an openly and extremely offensive person to the point that your association with them would make your other friends and associates less amiable towards you, would you still want that person to come?

12. Adam 1

I, for one, welcome our new Harvard University overlords.

1. Cris E

"New"? Where have you been?

13. Milton

Draconian?

I haven't seen the material mentioned but don't doubt it's as offensive as stated. That said, surely the context matters? In this case, context being that the posters in question are kids, full of overconfidence, cheek, peer groupthink and heedless hormonal impulses, who maybe—just maybe—would have benefited from a good talking to and a severe warning, leaving them appropriately humbled, embarrassed ... and much wiser?

No matter how repugnant the memes in question may have been, you should surely have some regard for the foolishness of the young. It's not as if the offenders in this case were seasoned representatives of the people: we have a president who routinely broadcasts offensive drivel, and many members of his political party and administration publish shamelessly odious beliefs, and *they* are people who really should know better.

So for me the punishment seems a draconian, rather heartless over-reaction. I would guess the decision-makers in this case are motivated by the predictable vices of hypocrisy and ass-covering.

1. Cris E

Re: Draconian?

"That said, surely the context matters?"

Yup, but not in the way you're implying. Harvard has an infinite supply of these kids, so setting a couple of them alight every year or two sets an example for the others and throws a lovely reddish light on them that drives away the shadows these memes were casting.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like