back to article NASA Sun probe named for solar wind boffin Eugene Parker

Breaking with the recent focus on flinging probes and bots at our planetary neighbours, around July next year NASA will set the controls for the heart of the Sun. Actually, the plan is for the Solar Probe Plus to stop a good 6.2 million kilometres (3.9 million miles) short of Sol's surface, where the craft will have to endure …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. wolfetone Silver badge
    Pint

For Caroline Aherne.

3. TRT Silver badge

I thought the video feed...

would be something like this.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So we're expecting some hot stuff baby this evening, gonna be some hot stuff baby tonight.

I guess we're lucky that the sun is eclipsed by the moo-ooooon!

(Sorry--grew up in the 70s. I'll just grab my denim jacket and go now.)

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Happy

So presumably, to avoid the high temperatures,

They'll be going at night?

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: So presumably, to avoid the high temperatures,

Silly you.

They're going when it's winter in Austrailia.

6. ArrZarr Silver badge
    Coat

Pink Floyd references

Personally I feel that some mileage could have been gotten out of using a joke about "The dark side of the Sun"

7. Fred Dibnah

Sun Probe

It will all go wrong. Scott and Alan in Thunderbird 3 will have to fire the special beam to set off the Sun Probe's retro-rockets. Hope they can do it before they pass out from the heat.

1. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

Re: Sun Probe

came here hoping to see at least one "go at night" comment and one Thunderbirds reference.

F.A.B.!

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Ye gods and little fishies - I remember watching that episode of Thunderbirds in, what early seventies?

2. davidp231

And then get TB2 to rescue TB3 because they (and TinTin) passed out from the heat before turning off said beam.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

It seems to have been one of the Thunderbirds favourite special effects. Getting them to sweat. They were always getting trapped somewhere very hot, and either being about to run out of air, cook, or both - counting down the time until being rescued at the last second.

Well that's when they weren't saving nuclear powered airliners from various fates.

I used to love the Thunderbirds. My favourite episode though is where Parker picks the lock of the vault of the Bank of England with one of Lady Penelope's hairpins.

8. W4YBO

Did he get better?

"Participants in the mission include... S. Chandrasekhar Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus at the University of Chicago..."

Otherwise, it'll be tough to get Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar to participate, since he died in 1995.

Or did I read that wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did he get better?

Eugene Parker's position is the 'S. Chandrasekhar Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus' at the University of Chicago, named in honour of Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar. They have a few other similar positions named after various alumni or trustees etc.

1. Mark 85

Re: Did he get better?

That is a mouthful of a title. Might need a few more words eventually such "master of all they see" or "god of the realm".

9. G R Goslin

To put this into perspective....

....The high regions of the Earth's atmosphere exhibit similar temperatures. The thermosphere (80-600 kmetres up) has temperatures up to 1500C. A reflecting heatshield is all it takes.

1. cray74

Re: To put this into perspective....

The thermosphere (80-600 kmetres up) has temperatures up to 1500C. A reflecting heatshield is all it takes.

Admittedly, the wattage falling on a probe differs a bit between Earth's thermosphere and 6 million kilometers from the sun. In one situation, you've got a peak heat load of 1400 Watts per square meter. In the other, you've got about 900,000 Watts per square meter. Ultimate temperatures reached before achieving thermal equilibrium will differ a bit, as will required heat shield designs.

2. Tom Paine

Re: To put this into perspective....

The high regions of the Earth's atmosphere exhibit similar temperatures. The thermosphere (80-600 kmetres up) has temperatures up to 1500C. A reflecting heatshield is all it takes.

But here's the thing -- although the (visible) surface of the sun is a mere 5500 deg C or thereabouts, the temperature of the (invisible to the naked eye) corona is measured in the millions of degrees. Why that should be and how it comes to pass is one of the things solar physicists would like to getting a better understanding of (what with it superficially appearing to violate thermodynamics and all. It doesn't really, of course)

10. Pen-y-gors

3.9 million miles?

That is serious sun-tan territory.

Hey, maybe they could send Trump along and give him a real tan instead of a fake-orange-bottle one?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: 3.9 million miles?

Anybody not wearing two million sunblock is gonna have a real bad day, get it?!

2. Tom Paine

Re: 3.9 million miles?

The high regions of the Earth's atmosphere exhibit similar temperatures. The thermosphere (80-600 kmetres up) has temperatures up to 1500C. A reflecting heatshield is all it takes.

All you have to do is lure him into Hotblack Desiato's black stunt ship and before you can say "25th Amendment" he'd be toast! Or, indeed, plasma.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"NASA will set the controls for the heart of the Sun."

- Careful with That Axe, Eugene!

12. davidp231

Schorchy McSchorchface?

13. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

1300c + continuously.

That's basically re-entry territory.

Which is really tough to maintain.

The joker with this is that if this is in the middle of the path of a Coronal Mass Ejection it's game over.

1. Richard Boyce

Re: 1300c + continuously.

Not continuously. A speaker at the event indicated that it's hard to cope with the repeated heating and cooling during the probe's eliptical orbit.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: 1300c + continuously.

Why can't NASA launch another probe that has a built in swimming pool? Then the poor hot sun probe can go in for a dip, when its feeling a bit warm. Plus any passing astronauts can use it to get some exercise, instead of boring running on treadmills...

14. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Does this probe

...heading for the sun have an all black control panel where the black indicator lamps light up black when you press the black button?

1. Tom Paine

Re: Does this probe

The actual line is "..every time I try and operate one of these small black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a black light lights up black to let me know I've done it!"

...from memory. Too many years falling asleep to the original radio shows...

15. PNGuinn
    Black Helicopters

Hope It'll be a good gig.

I presume the space probe will have a little black button labelled in black ... somewhere?

16. Frumious Bandersnatch

Chris Waddle

This post must contain a body.

1. Still Water

Re: Chris Waddle

Butros, Butros-Ghali.

1. Symon
        Coat

Re: Chris Waddle

Myxomatosis ---->

17. Doctor Evil

Oh man, they missed out!

It totally should have been called the "Hotblack Desiato" (or perhaps even "Disaster Area") -- and be painted black!

1. Swarthy

Re: Oh man, they missed out!

With a carbon composite heat-shield, it probably will be black. --at least it will be after getting scorched by the thermosphere of the sun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like