back to article Love bots lecture thrills room full of Reg readers

If you’ve ever wondered what the development of AI and robotics might mean for your sex life, you should have been with us last month for our Register Lecture on Sex, AI, Robots and You. Kate Devlin, senior lecturer in the Department of Computing at Goldsmiths, University of London, took the capacity audience on a whizzbang …

1. Neil Brown

This was a superb event

Thank you Kate, and Joe and Alexander.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't you hear the music pumping hard like I wish you would

Depending on the definition of robot, I believe there are already existing machines that have been designed to move part of themselves in a certain direction (and back) repeatedly for suitible human gratification. And they don't look like humans.

Or that's what I've been led to believe according to an acquaintance, ahem, etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't you hear the music pumping hard like I wish you would

here are already existing machines that have been designed to move part of themselves in a certain direction (and back) repeatedly for suitible human gratification

Ah yes, food mixers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

(/./'|'\.\)

why do we automatically assume sex robots are going to look like, well, us?

I guarantee no sex robot's ever going to look like me. Not if they want it to sell, anyway.

4. Stevie

Bah!

No,no,no,no,NO! You aren't getting it!

It's the fembots that will get objectified. Real women will now be able to rest in an objectification-free world of whatever they do when not "submitting" to male advances.

In the new world of the no-guilt ready-for-action 24x7 "around the world in 80 ways" fembot, only perverts will prefer sex for fun with women.

And who said the fun will only be for hetero men anyway? Once the basics are worked out it should be eminently possible to fit out a Boytoy Bot who is hung like a horse and can go all night without farting, belching, sweating or falling asleep, brings flowers and likes long romantic talks afterward.

There is no downside to The Rise Of The Sexbot. Once they are a reality, western sex lives can normalize properly instead of being roiled in centuries of religious counter-programming and internet-induced false norms.

Actually there is a downside. I imagine the sex-worker industry will be caught up in a paradigm-shift maelstrom just like everyone else has been in the last thirty years. However, spin-off industries will arise in that field just as they have in every other, post-maelstrom.

Mine's the Cherry 2000 with the shiny, man-made textile clothing. Don't tell the missus (yet).

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Terminator

Obligatory Futurama

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!!!!

https://vimeo.com/12915013

5. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Up

A companion in my old age, if...

I plan to retire in 10 years, so I have one pressing question: Will the cost will be covered by Trumpcare?

1. Stevie

Re: A companion in my old age, if...

In ten years? Of course! In ten years Mr Trump's enlightened policies will result in a gatrillizon dollar surplus for all the things we really need instead of vaccinations that give kids Autism and rules that slow down pharmaceutical innovation with pesky needless "tests".

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: A companion in my old age, if...

Maybe not Trumpcare, but if a future administration really wants to take bread & circuses into the 21st century, this seems highly probable.

6. cortland

Technolgical stimuli:

Heterodyne ultrasound beams as a pleasurable means of keeping criminals from getting away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like