back to article Raspberry Pi foundation merges with CoderDojo Foundation

The Raspberry Pi Foundation and the CoderDojo Foundation have merged in order to combine forces and accelerate both organisation's mission to teach kids how to code. Raspberry Pi Foundation CEO Philip Colligan wrote that the two organisations “see an opportunity to do even more by joining forces.” CoderDojo's executive …

1. Long John Brass

Sounds awesome

until you have to start learning all the bloody Kata and having to sweep the floor before class starts :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sounds awesome

Having to learn the Japanese names for every damn move because your instructor is a middle aged weeaboo.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Japanese names

IME not that bad as the translations tended to be a bit long-winded*. YMMV, of course.

* Ah, the joys of a composite language.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Japanese names

No it is that bad because it increases mental load unnecessarily.

Prove me wrong by using only kanji variable names this week.

2. Diogenes

wax on - wax off

3. heyrick Silver badge

"start learning all the bloody Kata"

Kata?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kana

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He probably did mean kata (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karate_kata), in jest of course. I still remember Kata No. 1 despite having learnt it over 50 y ago (and yes, I swept the floors before class).

I really must get an rPi!

2. Triggerfish

Re: Sounds awesome @ Heyrick

Kata is a form you do in martial arts where you run through the moves you have been taught in a set order you often do it as part of a Karata belt grading, Tai Chi is a bit like doing a Kata (though usually a lot slower).

The op was referring to that, sweeping the floor and setting up in a martial class is usually done by the least senior students if it's very traditional.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Sounds awesome @ Heyrick

I meant karate, not Karata doh.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sweep the floor?

Im in the Cobra Kai dojo. We only sweep legs and dress like skeletons. Sometimes we get kicked in the face by Ralph Macchio.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Hmmm

Just seems rather odd to me. Could do with more details.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm

What's odd?

A hardware "company" that does some software, and a coding "company" that often uses former's hardware...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Pic looks like a geeky wedding invitation. But no point in wasting resources on overlaps, so yes, sounds reasonable.

1. caffeine addict

Presumably the "merging" happens later that night.

( and no jokes about forking. )

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

E-E-E is usually attributed to Microsoft. Is there some point you are trying to make?

Of course, the success of the RPi has attracted the attention of Microsoft; a programmable version of Minecraft was available on a Pi before Microsoft bought it (Minecraft). There is also Windows IoT that turns a Pi into a Programmable Board, when it really is a full blown computer. There was a lot of misleading reports about the Pi running Windows from this story. The BBC Microbit, much publicised by the BBC, launched with a few editors, but the Microbit website now seems dominated by Microsoft. There does not seem to be a thriving community pushing it forward. The initial promise of the Microbit seems to be drifting away.

I don't know what impact CoderDojo and its Microsoft partner are planning to do, but I do hope it gets our youngsters interested in coding and associated skills. How much Microsoft gets pushed in the new organisation will be interesting, but like all voluntary resources we cannot be pushed to do things we don't want to do. We might be pushed out, but there is still the internet, that I can still access from my Pi.

AC because, well... just because

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it one of those cases where 'merger' actually means 'takeover'? Seems a bit unnecessary, I can't help feeling there is more to this than meets the eye.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

What should they call themselves after merger?

PiCoDojo?

Has a certain (Japanese) ring to it, and simultaneously suggests a very, very small dojo, so very little sweeping needed.

BTW, never underestimate a sweeper in a dojo, and always remember Rule 1!

7. nautica Silver badge
    Holmes

No matter what they say the reason is, the real reason is declining sales.

There is absolutely no mystery here.

The large segment of more-mature RPi buyers which has been overlooking the RPi's shortcomings--and they are far too many to be overlooked in today's environment--has stopped doing that, and has stopped buying (tried programming the RPi in Assembly Language? You can't. Most wannabe serious designers don't find this out until they've ordered one or two. Or ten). The RPi group will cheerily suggest that you design your project as an embedded Linux application.

That leaves what market segment? Why, the very young crowd, of course, which was supposed to be the original target of the RPi Foundation's pitch, and who are now responsible for generating large sales numbers. How can we do that?

Well, the PiZero didn't work. Buying the MagPi magazine didn't work. Developers--who are, by definition, serious--have universally shunned the "Compute Module" because it is, after all, STILL a poor excuse for a serious design tool (a "cheap little board", as one website recently put it). This leaves what?

Why, merge with a CoderDojo, of course.

Now it will become clear as to who has been creating all those numbers for the RPi.

And it will become very clear that the party's over.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like