back to article Dixons Carphone: Brexit not a factor as Brits' gadget lust holds strong

Political uncertainty haven’t put punters off purchasing electronic gadgets, Dixons Carphone CEO reported today. The group issued a trading update for fiscal ’16 ended 29 April ahead of reporting its full blown annual results showing sales were up nine per cent year-on-year, including a two per cent rise in the UK. The Brexit …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively

Brexit is going to be a paradigm of the boiling frog assertion, and it'll follow the same path the wealth does, so it's started (oh yes, boy has it started) deep in the recesses of industry and finance, and eventually surface on the high street. By which time a lot of the fucking morons who voted for it will have slipped the surly bonds of earth and touched the face of God.

In other news, jettisoning the UK has seen the EU27 GDP rise (deliberate use of a Murdoch paper there, too).

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Alternatively

It is the calm before the storm and we get shafted royally by the EU in the Brexit deal. As a result, the pound sinks below 1Euro and reaches parity with the USD.

Then the likes of Dixons/Curry/PC World/whatever will be heading for administration.

1. depicus

Such poor customer service I wonder how they are not in administration already.

2. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

so this is saying that Brexit is bad because the EU will demonstrate their vindictive dictatorial powers and commit economic warfare on Britain? Thus demonstrating what was wrong about the EU in the first place?

And therefore the best thing to do is, when threatened by large bullying dictators, is to play along and be a good little slave-state lest you upset The Master (and no, not the proper Delgado Master who no one should dare upset)?

The only people harmed by Brexit are those who solely profitted of EU membership. Who made money that could not be made without the EU sending in cash.

And now they're doing what they can to "punish" the country for cutting off their gravy train..which if this weren't "economics" with different rules, would be pretty much traitor-ish behavior.

And those Rulers across the Channel, well, gonna make an example outta you so no one else gets the same ideas, capisch?

Wasnt too long ago that Britain was known worldwide for giving the two-finger to a consolidated Europe that wanted to control it. Even when that meant damage both economic and explosive.

Now that the Germans won with money what they couldn't get with tanks, Brexit is no less an act of defiance than anything Churchill made speeches of.

The threat of reprisal should never be a *defense* for staying in part of a group that uses such threats to force compliance in the first place.

2. codejunky Silver badge

"Brexit is going to be a paradigm of the boiling frog assertion"

If that is the case could it not apply to the EU? The EU have a migration crisis, currency crisis, extremism (any party anti-EU/Euro), employment crisis and brexit crisis.

The independent actions of individual countries (Germany migration crisis) dragging the EU into crisis. A currency which survived purely by crippling economies and sacrificing a country. Most EU countries seem to have anti EU parties and gaining in popularity as time goes on. Chronic unemployment problems particularly with the young population. And of course brexit where the overconfidence has devolved into threats from some and begging from others as they realise the serious self harm they can cause by trying to screw us.

It is not a shock that the survivability of the EU is always in question (at least in its current form)

1. Richard Boyce

"It is not a shock that the survivability of the EU is always in question (at least in its current form)" .

The same is true of the UK.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Megaphone

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in my 1950s / 1970s cave of denial I can't hear you!

2. paulf
    Holmes

Seb James quote

"...we anticipate no let-up in their - very rational - view that price and service are critical factors in deciding where to shop,” said James. ®"

Price and service are both critical factors in my tech buying decisions - and that's why I never shop at any DSG owned store/website.

3. vilemeister

Its not really as if you want electronics on the high street you can go anywhere else.

1. paulf
      Headmaster

Depends what you are after.

John Lewis: Tellies, white goods and kitchen appliances, computers, cameras and the like

Richer Sounds: Tellies, HiFis

Maplin: Gadgets, adaptors, cables, computer stuff

All the mobile networks have their own high street stores for mobile phones and accessories.

There may be others that I can't think of - it's been a long day.

I'm not offering an opinion on how good/bad/suitable those options may be, but to say there is NO alternative to DSG on the high street isn't quite correct.

1. vilemeister

I really don't know why I hadn't thought of these to be honest. Apparently its been a long day for me too.

I think I was going for the decent selection of PCs in my hometown, you have no choice which is rather more correct.

1. Richard Boyce

"I think I was going for the decent selection of PCs in my hometown, you have no choice which is rather more correct."

By all means make your choice at the store, but make sure you buy online from someone else. The chances are the online equivalent has a higher spec, even if the main part of the model number is the same, or will at least be cheaper, even with delivery. If you get a dud (it happens) and have to return it, you likely won't get an argument from someone professionally obstructive.

1. paulf
            Thumb Up

@vilemaster

I suspect it's a result of marketing. DSG are happy for you to think they're the only gig in town whether they are or not as that is to their benefit (although it being true is definitely not as that attracts attention as a potential monopoly).. It took a while to think up that list without straying into duplication (Other department stores like Debenhams and HoF sell electricals to some extent) and avoiding stores like Brighthouse which are even bigger pirates than DSG.

@Richard Boyce

You're right about buying online - if nothing else your statutory rights are stronger when you buy online than in store due to the distance selling regulations.

2. tiggity Silver badge

Argos, Staples both stock computers

4. John H Woods Silver badge
    Trollface

Could it be ...

... that DSG customers are more likely to be optimistic about Brexit than those with the brains to shop elsewhere?

5. Andrew Jones 2

People are still spending money, because they still have money. That's only because we aren't all bankrupt yet - but it's coming.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I'm spending less money, cleared all debts and I'm saving more.

Survival fund.

2. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

why would bankruptcy be coming?

unless you'd been spending so much on things that don't return value to your country and became dependent on cash subsidy from the EU to maintain that unsustainable spending.

Which proves the assertation that EU membership simply glossed over and allowed failures to continue much longer and with more devastating impact then they could naturally without such external support.

Britain survived for centuries without subsidies. If a nation needs subsidies, then that nation needs to change. "Mine" included. the solution is not to simply find someone else to rob, whether militarily or politically thru some Union. We see how badly States in America and even Cities and Counties are in trouble now, where Federal money covered a lot of sins, until things got too bad to patch.

Getting out now will sting a bit, but it will hurt a lot less than waiting a decade or two, or riding the EU down as it either implodes, explodes or goes Imperialistic to fund all these poor financial decisions

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon