back to article China's phone quartet is shouldering its way into Western markets

Huawei is breathing over Apple's shoulder as Chinese brands make inroads into Western smartphone markets. But it's also a testament to China's regional economic policy as it reaps the rewards of selling into emerging economies that neighbour the mainland, Gartner's Anshul Gupta told us. In Gartner's latest quarterly survey …

1. Mage Silver badge
    Big Brother

Interesting

How many of the Chinese Android phones don't have Google's "Blob", the spyware comprising Play Store and Location Services? Or don't have a Google browser as default?

Which would Europeans rather have spying on them? Chinese or Google?

1. Aitor 1

Re: Interesting

They have way worse spyware.

You have to basically put a new OS if you can.

Except the "export" units do not have that huge amount.. just as Samsung et al

2. N13L5

Re: Interesting

I'd rather have the Chinese spy on me, cause they really wouldn't care too much about what I bought in the last month or where, cause it doesn't do their advertisers any good and the Chinese government also isn't concerned with me, since I'm not one of their subjects.

In a word, they don't give a rats ass about me, unlike Google and the global central banking cartel.

Now, if I was Chinese, I'd likely prefer Google to grind through all my data, down to when I fell asleep without brushing my teeth with some toxic fluoride concoction.

2. Paul_Murphy

'There's very little round the £100 SIM-free price today.'

I can recommend the Cubot Note s if anyone is interested - bought two at the beginning of the year and are a a good all-rounder.

Don't go for the Gold one though since that came with an older version of Android.

1. jaminbob

Re: 'There's very little round the £100 SIM-free price today.'

Suspect like tablets, people bought cheap ones and then regretted to it, and are now keen not to repeat the same mistake.

3. DropBear
    Facepalm

"The trend we are seeing in all markets is that people are spending more money providing they are getting a better experience. Rather than choosing the most affordable ones."

Never mind that I'm seeing the absolute exact opposite all across the board wherever I look, in no uncertain terms - I'm not an esteemed "analyst" so what do I know...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What *do* you know, DB? What field are you in?

(Internet makes it impossible to phrase that and have it look like the polite, genuine enquiry that I intend it to be - I'm not suggesting you know nothing.)

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Devil

"intellectual property issues."

"He predicts that these lesser-known Chinese brands will move into Europe as soon as they have resolved their intellectual property issues."

What, you mean looking just like an iPhone? Good luck with "resolving" that one!

5. JaitcH
    Happy

One if the GREAT things about living in VietNam is that we are ...

test lab for new products and models!

Many of the 'new' models introduced to Western markets are the last half-fiscal years offering here in VietNam.

We might only have 90-million odd live souls in VietNam but the ACTIVE cell handset population is nearing 130-million!

Samsung has numerous production facilities scattered across the country, particularly concentrated on Ha Noi and Metro Ho Chi Minh City. Samsung boasts over six service centres here in SaiGon!

1. Dabooka

Re: One if the GREAT things about living in VietNam is that we are ...

I was surprised at the signal strength throughout my time there (Ho Chi Minh City and Danang), certainly better than parts of the UK.

1. Triggerfish

Yep found the same, Hanoi is good as well, averaging about 13Mbps.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many have said that Vietnam will be the 'next China' as manufacturing in China becomes more and more expensive relative to the other 'cheap manufacturing labor' countries.

1. Triggerfish

I could believe it, infrastructure is pretty good, people seem pretty well educated as well, and they are sinking a fair chunk of their gdp into things like education. It's one to watch.

Also I would have thought that for phone markets Asia is where it is at to some degree, uptake of smartphones and all the things that can be done with them seem to have penetrated more (IMO) throughout SE Asia far more than the UK.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung boasts over six service centres here in SaiGon!

Could this be a testament to the reliability (or not) of some cheapo Samsung models?

Do they go wrong that often?

6. GrapeBunch

Oppo

Is that the same company which makes (made?) niche high-end DVD players? If so, they're thriving by doubling their market (with sales increase of 15 megaunits) in the space of one year.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like