back to article Nokia, Apple lawyers make peace over nasty IP wrangle

Nokia and Apple have made peace after a brief but vituperative legal stand-off. The two settled all their outstanding issues over intellectual property rights, with an unspecified lump sum heading from California to Finland, as well as royalties. Nokia filed a bunch of lawsuits against Apple in the USA and Germany in December …

1. Snorlax Silver badge

Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle

"Apple accused Nokia of "troll"-like behaviour..."

Apple Inc. v Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.

Enough said.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle

The definition most use for "patent troll" is a company that does not make any products using the patents, only sues others who do. That's not Apple. They only sue over patents they use in their own products - they don't even bother suing when someone infringes patents they hold but don't use in their own products.

They do sue about silly stuff though, even if most people don't understand the "rounded corners" in question were not on the phones, but on the icons.

1. Ian Michael Gumby

@DougS Re: Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle

Nokia did make phones and they are the source of the patents.

So they aren't patent trolls.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @DougS Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle

I wasn't suggesting Nokia was a patent troll either. If they had ceased operations entirely and existing only as a patent holding/licensing company for patents they used to use, then they'd be a patent troll. But Nokia is trying to get back into the phone business, so while they may be a shell of their former selves, they're not a troll.

2. Mage Silver badge

source code of the original Unix for study and copying

Surely more covered by copyright than patent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: source code of the original Unix for study and copying

Here's what Nokia released:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])

{

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

/* TODO: Add call into systemd. */

return 0;

}

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

once successful,now couldn't compete and is resorting to IP trolling. Is Apple talking about themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Once successful"? Apple is the most valuable public company in the world, worth over $800 billion in market cap.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That's just money.

Where is innovation, progress, value added for society as a whole?

4. adam payne

"Unable to compete with innovative companies such as Apple – which had developed a revolutionary hardware and software platform – Nokia quickly transformed itself," Cupertino said at the time. "It changed from a company focused on supplying cell phones and other consumer products to a company bent on exploiting the patents that remain from its years as a successful cell phone supplier."

Sounds like a pot and kettle situation to me.

My grandmother on my mother's side used to say that a Kaffeeklatsch is a venue where the crows tell the magpies how black the ravens are.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple went from "They're trolling us" to. "We look forward to bonking with Nokia in the future"? The lawyers are the winners here, as usual...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This happens every time there's a patent lawsuit. Lots of nasty talk gets thrown about, and then there's nothing but nice things said once a deal is done.

6. Mage Silver badge

Patents and Patents

Motorola, Ericsson, Nokia, Philips etc developed stuff in an era when patents meant more, though the USA has been into approving dubious patents since Victorian times, more than any other country.

Can anyone show me even a dozen Apple phone patents that are genuinely innovative, not a copy of prior art and not obvious to any competent Engineer schooled in the art?

Apple vs Samsung was ludicrous. Not ONE of the Apple patents (or "Design Patents" = UK "Registered Design") should ever have been approved by USPTO.

I'm not surprised Apple has settled and the money is going to Finland, nor that MS got anything for their money except staff and factories that Nokia was going to close anyway. They have done paper, welly boots, TVs, setboxes and people were surprised when they decided to do phones.

Apple entered already proven markets with their iPod (the only "innovation" was iTunes and its ability to dismember LPs a track at a time with publisher agreement) and later iPhone (9 years after smart phones appeared) just as mobile data was getting practical, the innovation being the operator exclusive deals per country with bundled data when only corporate staff could afford data. The GUI was bought in and the HW was commodity parts, the clever HW being Samsung's 6400 family ARM that had CPU(with all I/O), RAM and Flash stacked in one package making PCB design simple for a beginner, no external memory PCB tracks needed.

1. Snorlax Silver badge

Re: Patents and Patents

"Motorola, Ericsson, Nokia, Philips etc developed stuff in an era when patents meant more, though the USA has been into approving dubious patents since Victorian times, more than any other country."

I did think it was a bit rich that Apple was calling Nokia a patent-troll, knowing the non-practicing-entity connotations which go along with that description. Nokia and Ericsson innovated the shit out of mobile phone network infrastructure back when the Apple Mac SE was cutting edge, and deserve to profit from their patents.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The price of every iDevice is about to increase by 0.4%

*0.2 for Nokia, and 0.2 into Cupertino's C-level exec pockets for their tireless labor and fearless leadership in arranging this settlement

**Wall Street strongly approves

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well DONE APPLE AND NOCKYA

Two GRATE AMXRERICAN COMPANIES work together TO MAKE AMERCA GRATE AGAIN. Apple MAKES THE BEST PHONES RIHT HERE ON AMERICAL SOIL with real Americans doin the soilderinge and NOCKIA makes rubber ducks for TRANNIES or some SHT1TT. I meant

Grannies not trannies. Damn intanet TWISTING MY words Again. THIS IS WHATBTRUMO IS SOING FOR AMERICa! TRUMP. Brings good folk together.

1. JaitcH
      Unhappy

Re: Well DONE APPLE AND NOCKYA

Your next purchase should be a dictionary. Or a spell checker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I will BUY ANOTHEE APPLE phone IS WHT I'll do. MAY be 2.

As the saying GOES - if you SWEAT ON MY SHIRT I WILL PISS ON YOJRN curtains.

2. Captain DaFt

It's just some wag trying (and failing) to be the Amanfrommars1 version of Donald Trump.

3. Kernel

An atlas wouldn't go astray, either.

Atlas shrugged. "What would I need an ashtray for?", he asked in a puzzled voice.

9. tp2

Finally there is peace in the galaxy

All the common aspects of darkness and the light, when you put two former enemies to the same room, they need a reason why peace in the galaxy is supposedly a good thing, after all this fighting. Some minor movement of these green pieces of paper cannot ever make this kind of peace happen, so there must be some greater plot behind all this. Intellectual property and lawyers can get all the credit for creating this new peace chapter in our story. The companies are clearly paying significant sums to the lawyers, if they can make this significant decisions happen without extended legal paperwork being spread all around the internet, consuming tons of popcorn from the punters, eating valuable work time. Sadly the whole internet will be bored with this decision, all this fighting and plot twists are over and we must find our entertainment from somewhere else.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like