nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Armstrong's moon-purse set for $4m bid-off

Silver badge
Flame

One owner, only used on a Sunday

Many miles though...

July 20, 1969 = Sunday

Cheque, please....

Silver badge

Moon dust - nasty stuff.

I enjoyed the following podcast from the public Australian broadcaster ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/chinese-missions-to-study-lunar-dust/8425898

"The dust is like fine sand, but with sharp edges. Despite being the biggest environmental hazard, organisers of the Apollo missions took little account of the dust. It was a real problem causing batteries to overheat. It pierced space suits, and clogged equipment. The Chinese have already deployed 3 robotic missions to the Moon. Brian O’Brien, a professor of space science who helped astronauts prepared for the Apollo missions says the Chang’e 3 rover Yutu which landed in 2013 moved 100m on its first day, but hasn’t moved since, due to the effects of lunar dust. Studies of lunar dust will now be a priority for future"

The IT angle is that Prof O'Brien had to dig out his old computer tapes of the data from his lunar experiments cos NASA had lost theirs.

RE: "Moon dust - nasty stuff."

Arthur C. clarke - A Fall of Moondust.

I think I'm due a re-read.

Silver badge

"... was instead lumped into a lot of items the US Marshall's service set for auction in 2015."

Wait, what? And was Jack Carter involved in any way?

Silver badge

the (by now empty) lunar sample bag

Oh, I bet there are a few specs of lunar regolith somewhere in there. Anyone who's ever taken a bag or backpack to the beach knows that you'll be cleaning the sand out of it forever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing