back to article The eternal battle for OpenStack's soul will conclude in three years. Again

After six years as a formal project, OpenStack has survived numerous raids and famines and now finds itself in a not-too-weird space of being boring, on-premises infrastructure. That is, “boring” in the good way of focusing on what users want and fixing existing problems, only chasing shiny objects – cough, PaaS, cough, …

1. lleres

Dead in Water

| <..> it’s certainly possible to hire a team to spin up OpenStack. Vendors like Mirantis, SUSE, Canonical, Red Hat, and even VMware are happy to help.

Spin it up they can, make it stable and performing well *at scale*, you know, the thing it's supposed to do, they cannot.

There are *no* cost savings at 'hyper scale', because Openstack cannot scale to that. What there is at the end of the Openstack coloured rainbow is complaining users that the APIs are sub-standard, the platform itself prone to instability, scaling non existant, performance sub-par with severe degradation once people actually try to use it.

Meanwhile AWS offers all of what Openstack only claims to be able to do, cheaper in short and long term, faster and more reliably.

Speak with the companies, like a particular large American data company in the finance sector, that actually implemented Openstack Private Clouds at huge costs (multi-hundred millions of dollars) only to shutter them not even 6 months in due to it not doing what it purports to do, as above.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Dead in Water

AWS cheap and fast? It is quite expensive, compared to running your own kit, and not fast at all.

It makes sense if you want to run your stuff in other peoples systems, as you can then focus on your core, but cheap and fast it is not.

1. lleres

Cheaper and faster than running Openstack on your own kit, hands down. Do the maths and test it yourself if you want. Openstack is not *free*, there are severe costs in setting up and supporting it. Man hours are not free. If you are a person getting billed for those hours, however, you may feel that is a benefit to you. It is not a benefit to your company.

AWS also gets cheaper in the long term once you factor in continuing hardware maintenance and on going support.

My comments are from first hand experience.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'There are *no* cost savings at 'hyper scale', because Openstack cannot scale to that.'

Ha ha, this joke made my day. Companies like Mirantis or Huawei are successful to scale OpenStack up to 5000 compute hosts. Compare this to 1000-2000 compute hosts in single AWS region.

Please don't speak about the technology you don't understand.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh that's nice. How stable is it? How well does it perform?

What's that sound? Is it.. your bum squeaking? Yeah, call me when the I/O sub system does not fall over all the time because of 'scaling issues'. Like I said, my comments are from first hand experience.

Perhaps you are a Mirantis or Huawei employee..

2. sundog

Totally off-topic, childhood moment.

What movie was the title image captured from? I remember the movie, but can't remember the name of it, and it's bugging the heck out of me.

Thanks!

1. Electron Shepherd

Re: OT and bugging

The Seventh Seal

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, that old teacup sized flash again....

OpenStack is and always has been a blast of hot air. Yes, it sort of does what it's supposed to but with many, many issues. The true cost of supporting it is so high as to be laughable. So many people have been burned by their support for the Project that it's hard to understand why others continue to.

Many people want to own their own infrastructure and will always want to play with the code and hug their trees. The reality however is that many organizations including said financial have been burned and realized that public cloud is the way forward. Unfortunately one running on OpenStack simply isn't going to compare to the big three and few people have the hyperscale need for a cost effective cloud anyway.

When things started OpenStack was an infrastructure orchestration play with a working storage option and a messed up and incomplete compute layer. Heck, Nova was such utter crap even NASA abandoned it. Before the project fixed that it expanded into becoming the new virtual data center operating system. But that was before anyone even got around to working on upgrades. I laughed out loud when the engineers in Paris were bitching about the pain of upgrading a cluster with six compute nodes while a competing platform could automate tens of thousands. OpenStacks issue was that it always seemed to get to the 80% completion stage before it decided that was boring and it should add more 'cool' stuff.

Then there was the whole thing about control, and who had it and whose ass you had to kiss to get anything approved. Then the explosion of projects and the confusion over what version of each project worked with each other version of other projects. It was embarrassing for all except the engineers while liked to play.

After six years OpenStack has found its place, however, while sort of works if you don't mind sitting on it and spending ridiculous effort keeping it up, who actually cares. Apart from a few zealots, the industry has moved on and frankly most customers don't really care anymore. Oh, yes a few IT shops might as they desperately cling to the idea that owned infrastructure is still king. Other, better ways of running applications exist that frankly cost less and work better. Yes, applications, that's what actually matters. Oh yes, and businesses are realizing that the value is in the app, and not the stuff it runs on, with containers and serverless compute that stuff simply doesn't matter anymore. Get the best SLA/Price combination and run it there. So while it may finally be starting to be slightly more useful than a chocolate teapot it's relevance to current need is ebbing away.

4. lotus49

Apostrophes

"...much of it’s youth..." - ouch.

Come on, Reg. Apostrophes really aren't that hard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like