back to article Yahoo! retires! bleeding! ImageMagick! to! kill! 0-day! vulnerability!

How would you like US$778 per byte for your exploit? That's what security researcher Chris Evans just scored from Yahoo!, for an 18-byte demonstration of how private Yahoo! Mail images could leak. Even though the bug's been patched, Yahoo! decided it was one bug too many in the library, and retired it. Because (a) bugs get …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

does not appear to be abandonware... so, what the BLANK?

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/changelog.php

most recent changes 5/19 this year.

I guess "patch" really means "update to newer release"

2. jake Silver badge

What! The! Hell! Does! ImageMagick! Have! To! Do! With! Yahoo!?

Colo(u)r me confuzled.

1. inmypjs Silver badge

Re: What! The! Hell! Does! ImageMagick! Have! To! Do! With! Yahoo!?

Puzzled me a bit, but, I assume it runs on Yahoo servers for their web based email service.

Why anyone would still be using Yahoo for email is what confuses me.

1. Ole Juul

Typically that would be because they've had the account so long it's hard to change. Still a good point. However, I bet it's so people who have no idea about the size of a file can send pictures.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
          Pint

I'd say you've won the bet.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"Why anyone would still be using Yahoo for email is what confuses me."

To keep my protonmail box free of junk.

3. John Miles

Re: Why anyone would still be using Yahoo for email is what confuses me

Because some sites want an email address and Yahoo seems rather deserving of all that spam.

2. agurney

possibly for all those photos being uploaded to galleries on Yahoo!groups

3. sitta_europea Silver badge

All those exclamation marks are starting to look a bit, well, unimaginative.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

All! those! exclamation! marks! are! starting! to! look! a! bit!, well!, unimaginative!

What exclamation marks!?!

2. Richard Lloyd

Exclaimation! marks! on! every! El! Reg! article! headline! has! been! annoying! for! years!

The occasional "exclamisation" of a Yahoo! El Reg article headline might be slightly amusing, but to see it on *every* such article headline for years and years is unbelievably tiresome. Give! it! up!, El! Reg!

lso, referring to Google as the Chocolate Factory wasn't even funny in the first place (and certainly confusing to El Reg first-timers, who might think Cadbury's had been bought by Google or something).

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Exclaimation! marks! on! every! El! Reg! article! headline! has! been! annoying! for! years!

I do the SAME! THING! in my posts sometimes. It's a form of emphasis. [you just have to 'get it' that's all, and it adds to the snarky humor]

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Exclaimation! marks! on! every! El! Reg! article! headline! has! been! annoying! for! years!

YOU also randomly CAPITALISE your words TOO.

2. dmesg
        Trollface

But then, Yahoo! has been annoying for even longer. Fair's fair.

4. Orv Silver badge

It makes me shudder that ImageMagick is still being used to process user-uploaded content. It was written as an image conversion program for people to use on their desktops; security in the face of hostile input was not originally a concern.

5. Christian Berger

Well ImageMagick is one of those programs..

... trying to do everything and ending up being not very good at such things. It is, in a way, like the systemd of graphics, only that when ImageMagick fails, you'll still boot your system, and that ImageMagick doesn't talk to the network by default.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like