back to article Cisco's servers are stuck in limbo, look likely to stay there

Cisco has missed out on a blade to rack server shift, sales growth has turned negative, it doesn't sell to cloud providers and it has a small market share. Should it invest to grow or get out of servers altogether? Cisco's third fiscal 2017 quarter results were disappointing, with a 1 per cent decline in revenue year-on-year …

1. lubbertdas

Cisco UCS Servers are TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE!

We are a FlexPod shop and last year we were looking for rack servers with high density storage for our Exchange upgrade project--taking Exchange back to physical servers per Microsoft Best Practices. We got server quotes from Cisco, Dell, and HP. Our initial thoughts were that we'd go with Cisco rack servers to keep our management within the Cisco UCS Manager.

Dell's quote was extremely aggressive--looking to take business away from Cisco was my guess--and HP didn't seem to be very interested in our business at that time. The Cisco quote was about 50% higher than the Dell quote. We informed Cisco that we'd like to stay with them, but their server quote was too damn high!

Cisco made ZERO effort to work with us to lower the price or otherwise incentivize our purchase from them.

We bought the Dell servers, which have worked wonderfully.

The cancellation of a major project left us with excess Cisco UCS blade compute resources, so I don't see us making any additional Cisco UCS blade purchases anytime soon. The news in this article only compounds that idea.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UCS has a high hardware failure rate and lethargic support, even if you are a large enterprise.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Expensive & not sysadmin friendly

We were brainwashed to buy a couple of Cisco servers a while ago. They're expensive for what they are, include zero support out of the box and from a sysadmins view, they're not the greatest. Remote management requires Flash *AND* Java, and they just refused to boot with the Intel NICs we put in them. (Our Dell servers work fine with said same Intel NICs)

Cisco used to claim having special sauce to enable bigger memory setups, but nowadays, they're just another tin vendor. Against the likes of Dell, I see no reason to buy Cisco servers.

4. Jellied Eel Silver badge

I am Cisco's lack of suprise

Cisco is a network company. Ok, so it also dabbles in clothing and book selling. But there seems to be a problem of getting too big and forgetting your roots. So networking, not trying to dabble in commodity server shifting. Especially when Cisco's competitors have been merrily chipping away at their core networking business.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quit? yes, yes they should

I have experience of Cisco, HP and Dell servers.

Cisco's systems management model is archaic.

So why pay more for slower hardware, non-scalable architectures with a management and maintenance headache?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quit? yes, yes they should

Archaic?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<pant> wait ...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go get lost you moron. Say what you will about UCS but archaic is the last thing. Everyone else tries to copies their service profiles and converged network. HP Synergy going back to fncking ring network for management? Dell's literal patchwork?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cisco employee?

1. returnofthemus

... but then where would they go?

The mistake they made was getting into the server business in the first place, an x86 server is an x86 server no matter how you try and dress it up, which leaves you at the mercy of Intel, competing on exactly the same technology in a very congested space. In fact removing the the bezel provides for better airflow, effectively leaving you with a whitebox.

6. IAMTHESTORM

Seriously?

Are there any Enterprise Admins out there that are happy with a Dell or HPE solution? I haven't looked at either in years. I do not work for Cisco and I am a customer. I would love to go multivendor in my datacenter, but the random hardware failures I have had in the past from HPE, and the lack of tools to push firmware to vSphere hosts, I cant go back to that. We have too many hosts. What am I missing here? We are 100% blades on the Cisco side. I can't imagine the time it takes to get new pizza boxes racked and configuring the ports on the network.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously?

[I work for Dell, so AC.]

Yes, there are multiple delighted Dell server customers, which is why Dell's market share is growing and they have #1 worldwide share.

What are you missing? If you are really interested, please reach out to your Dell sales team and invest an hour in hearing about Dell's latest compute platform and systems management approach. Full systems management integraton with vSphere. Full automation of systems management. Innovations to smooth deployment, configuration, managament and maintenance.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rack Servers are a Commodity

As such, vendors like Dell and Supermicro will dominate.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blades are expensive

Blade infrastructures cost more and become obsolete. I worked on the original Compaq / HP C class design blade systems and it was intended to be UCS killer with less networking features. 1U and 2U racks systems are still the most popular.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too much reorganisations... to slow to respond to market shift

Having worked for Cisco, I can tell that the introduction of UCS was revolutionary technology. However it came a couple of years too late and had short lived success. Even though I was built for virtualisation, if the market is driving hard on hardware dependence, you should not bet on building such a clear lock-in system.

The tech behind UCS is still very impressive, but the price is way to high and senior and executive management way to stubborn to see this was a problem.

When I joined it was a company of network engineers and a network sales. That changed and more people with datacenter, software and server knowledge came in. However, I spent a lot of years working for Cisco, but in my time there were a lot of reorganisations...

Sending off thousands of people including a lot of people with the right knowledge to please the shareholders is not the right way to change the company for the best. Not that the 80% network-based sales compensation plans helped.

And then one day I found out that my full team was going to be decommissioned. We held a lot of the datacenter and server knowledge... most people, including me took the severance package.

Short term result was a lot of deals were lost. Long term was that all the long term, read too expensive to lay off, mostly network trained personnel stayed... IMHO this is what will kill Cisco. It is a real shame.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like