back to article Cisco to fire another 1,100 after sixth straight revenue fall

Administrative chaos in America has put a dent in Cisco's financials, and the company has announced its intention to cut another 1,100 jobs. Its third-quarter earnings, announced today, Switchzilla reported a one per cent decline in revenue year-on-year to US$11.9 billion (its sixth consecutive quarter of decline), and …

1. G2

that's all?

well... considering the firmware sabotage/backdooring operation run by the NSA i'm amazed its finances didn't crash like a brick as people dumped Cisco kit all over the place.

edit:

oh, and "slowing US federal government spending" means they don't want to use their own backdoors. lol.

/edit.

2. James 51

IBM much?

3. Fihart

Good riddance.

Nice products. Horrible company.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...

Could it also be due to the fact Cisco kit isn't as far ahead as it once was as well as "Trumpian chaos" etc.

There are equally decent but significantly cheaper options out there now. Especially where switches and wifi are concerned. TP-Link for example makes some reasonably good astonishingly cheap switches and Ubiqiti makes some rather solid WAPs.

I find it hard to recommend Cisco these days mainly due to cost but also due to configuration and management requirements. I don't seem to have the luxury of spending half a day setting up a switch these days mainly because of budget changes etc try and convince a business that you need to bill 3 hours to set up a switch, they will cry with laughter.

Its also pretty difficult to sell a £1000 Cisco switch vs a £150 TP-Link switch.

I accept that there may be some specific use cases for Cisco kit but for the overwhelming majority the cheaper option will suffice.

5. Androgynous Cow Herd

My condolences

To those displaced in the name of shareholder value.

6. NMI
    Meh

An annual ritual

This is an annual ritual for Cisco. Their fiscal year ends on July 31. Every year at this time, for at least the past 8 years IIRC, Cisco announces a cull of 1000-1500 employees. This is business as usual for them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like