back to article Newbies Komprise hope to krush data sprawl

Komprise is a data management startup saying it will save enterprises money by identifying and analysing file/unstructured data sprawl then shift it to cheap on-premises or in-cloud storage. This is a message put out by others, such as Catalogic and Primary Data. It overlaps with the copy data managers, such as Actifio, and the …

1. Mark 110

Interesting. If those savings numbers are real this will have legs. Wondering what the management overhead will be, though doesn't look too difficult.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

> If those savings numbers are real this will have legs

The figures in the costs table don't make sense.

The 'primary storage' entry has vanished from the Komprise column. Does that mean they are proposing that servers have no local SAN storage and it all comes over an Internet connection from Amazon? Interesting latency challenge if so.

And no backup storage costs? If there is no 'primary' storage cost any more then the implication is that there is no longer an on-prem copy of the data, just a single copy of the data in the cloud. A single copy is a single copy with all the risk that entails: I wouldn't trust the cloud provider not to go bankrupt or screw up.

More answers required from them, I feel.

1. komprise

Dear anonymous poster,

The cost table shows the before and after fixed costs of each terabyte of cold data moved in a 3 year model. Since the data is cold and has been moved out of primary storage by Komprise, it no longer has the cost of primary storage in the After column. Instead, we are counting the cost of the secondary storage (e.g. AWS S3 IA) over 3 years. And, we agree that even though the cloud or object storage is resilient and keeps multiple copies internally, you may still want a DR copy, which is why the DR cost is kept in the After column. And because there are multiple copies already on the object or cloud storage, and furthermore, the data is unchanging, there is no need to repeatedly back it up. By default, the Komprise recall policy is set to move the data back if it changes - but this can be modified.

Also, these costs don't include soft dollar operational savings. Our customers have realized similar savings in their environments.

Anonymous poster, I hope this helps.

Krishna

2. komprise

The product is very simple to setup and scale - in 15 minutes, you can be up and running. Just setup the Komprise Observer virtual machine, point it at storage, and within minutes you will start seeing analysis even on petabytes of data. Komprise is adaptive and scale-out, just add more Observers to scale the environment. All the management is centralized. Customers can sign up to try the product for free (https://www.komprise.com/try-it-now/) and assess the simplicity and savings in their own environment.

2. Shung

I don't understand why?

As an IT professional, who has to manage a large number of filers, the only time I can see myself using a solution like this is if I am running out of capacity on a filer and I'm feeling too lazy to just move some files. I can’t imagine any sane storage manager using it as a permanent solution. Plus, who has time to learn and manage yet another storage tool, which we need like a hole in the head. I personally have to keep track of what is a stub on my real storage and what is real.  I don’t know how I would keep track of my snapshots, backups, and archives when some of the files are stored who knows where. It just seems like a nightmare having to restore a given version of a filer or an application before I can actually restore. Oh and wouldn’t my snapshots be useless since they would no longer snap the entire storage but just a subset?  How would I log the differences and manage it? Is this yet another thing we would have to manage on top of managing this on top of managing our files lol. I'm not trying to sound negative. It might be a good utility patch to overcome an emergency, But for me I just don't see how it's a long term viable solution.

Can some startup please just solve some problems that will reduce my workload rather than adding to it or my headaches and require even more of the budget I don’t have

1. komprise

Re: I don't understand why?

Dear Shung,

How are you managing your large number of files today? Are they all on a single storage system or multiple systems? How are you getting a view across all of the systems? Our customers are struggling with these problems - today they have no easy way of getting a single view of what is happening to their data across storage. Most know how much they spend on storage but they really don't know why. They want to leverage the cloud, flash, and other new options without disrupting existing users, applications or processes. They want to leverage multi-vendor storage options without getting locked in.

These are the problems we solve for our customers.

We provide a single view into how data is growing and being used across your storage. We move data transparently by policy without using stubs. We provide native access to data at the sources and targets without lock-in. We work across open protocols such as NFS, SMB/CIFS, REST/S3 without inserting any proprietary interfaces or agents.

Snapshots on your source work exactly as before and are not useless. When you restore from a snapshot after we have moved files, you perform the restore exactly as before and the files we moved are transparently restored. You don't have to log differences and manage any changes.

We are essentially reducing primary storage spend and reducing the cost of secondary data by transparently moving, replicating and protecting data on cheaper secondary storage of the customer's choice. We are providing a single virtual namespace across storage to easily find and search for data. And we are providing visibility across storage for intelligent data management.

If you are interested in getting more specifics, please email info@komprise.com and we would be happy to talk with you.

Krishna

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon