back to article Coming Xeon 'scalable' family will run SAP HANA '1.6 times faster'

Intel says its coming Xeon SPs (scalable processors) will run in-memory SAP HANA workloads 1.59 times faster than a Xeon E7 v4 system*, and has demonstrated Optane DIMMs. The Xeon SP family of processors will be available in the middle of this year. El Reg thinks these are Skylake mills. There are four Xeon SP brand variants …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

And the software licenses will cost how much?

You gotta pay (lots and lots) for that improvement.

Oracle Sales will be salivating at the thought of all those extra millions in revenue per site.

1. returnofthemus

Re: And the software licenses will cost how much?

Yep!

People tend to forget the per core licensing principle, let alone Intel's bogus performance claims.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Smells like marketing....

Based on:

"Based on SAP HANA internal S-OLTP workload (internal testing) with the baseline config being: one-node, 4S Intel Xeon processor E7-8890 v4 with 1,024 GB total memory on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 12 SP1 vs estimates based on SAP internal testing on one-node, 4S Intel Xeon Processor Scalable family system."

I think the number of CPU's (4 x 24 cores/48 threads) remains the same (current details for Platinums is 22-28 cores/44-56 threads) - the change is purely down to the amount of memory used for the tests growing from 1GB as a "representative example" of current installs vs a 3GB setup.

I'd be interested to see how the E7-8890 v4 with 3GB of memory compared to the Platinum solution...

1. Bela Lubkin

Terabytes, not gigabytes.

E7 systems with 3TB physical RAM do not exist.

1.6x performance gain in a system with 3x the RAM, everything else approximately unchanged, is quite plausible.

1. Fenton

Yes they do.

Cisco/Dell/EMC/Lenovo all offer systems with 3TB of RAM

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hummmm

They should try a comparision to IBM's Power8....might be a bit more than 1.59x performance...

1. returnofthemus

They should try a comparision to IBM's Power8

LOL,

Intel were smart enough not to draw that comparison, hence appear to have limited that discussion to their previous generation of processor, more interestingly I see the actual system vendor hasn't been revealed either, no doubt in the coming months we'll get those PowerPoint slide claims, I suspect just around the same time POWER9 goes GA https://youtu.be/fNWP5mAJDw0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like