back to article Security shield slingers are loving Prez Trump's cybersecurity order

US President Donald Trump's cybersecurity executive order, signed on Thursday after a series of delays, will make federal agency heads accountable for protecting their networks. On the other side of the fence, computer security product makers have broadly welcomed the policy, which also calls on government and industry to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS

Similarly, the earlier order sought to explore ways to promote cyber resiliency in the private sector by creating financial incentives (ie, tax breaks) to spend on cybersecurity. The signed order turns to market transparency to encourage critical infrastructure entities to properly mitigate cyber risks.

Oh, ffs, that is already done for physical security - an object deemed national infra immediately gets a set of extra rules, regs and responsibilities by the company which manages it. It is the case in USA, it is the case in most other NATO countries. Try being an owner of a major hydroelectric and leaving it with no physical security. The regulator will have your arse on a plate.

Why it was so difficult to follow the Russian example and extend this to cybersecurity. They have the same regs as us, but added cybersecurity and definitions of what is national infra as far as internet is concerned in law last year.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tax breaks for wealthy Corps to spend on cyber-security.

Forget that! They'll pay the price one way or another if don't is the better alternative. Make them responsible to protect whatever data they've collected with REAL penalties if they don't.

3. Pen-y-gors

Usual odd picture

How is it that whenever Drumpf is photographed wielding a crayon he's surrounded by white men? It's weird. I mean, how do Republicans breed if there aren't any females? Little Republicans must come from somewhere.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Usual odd picture

There are actually two theories: One is that they reproduce via cellular fission, like any similar primitive organisms. The other suggests that when they are circumcised, the foreskins are planted and grow the next generation of little dick taters.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

YES PANTY-GAUZE all men. AFTER All HILLLARY PROVED just how successful a WOMAN IN POLITICS could be DIDNT SHE? WE have a saying in MY Town: ""Equality don't MEAN SHIT when a FAT MAN gets on A SEE-Saw""""..

1. Pen-y-gors

@AC

I think you forgot the Joke icon - I hope. In fact I'm sure - anyone that illiterate wouldn't be able to understand any of El Reg's articles - too many syllables in some of the words.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

There's only one word to describe the effect of this order on the USG

Yuuuuge.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks to El Reg, all a black hat has to do...

is tweet your line " might (whisper this gently) be seen largely as a continuation of measures former President Barrack Obama was putting into place." to @realDonaldTrump, and in the ensuing fit of pique all the good bits will get hurled out with the Obama bathwater.

6. FatGerman
    Flame

"Threatscape"? "Elastic Attack Surface"? Two phrases coming at you directly from the Twatosphere. Can I take these people seriously? No, probably not.

7. peasant

1 in 100

1 executive order. Good percentage ratio. Keep it up Don

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congressional kink room

"... both sides of the aisle can reach across and agree on ..."

Huh. Now why did I read that first as "reach around"?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like