back to article Bell Canada hacked: 2m account details swiped by mystery miscreants

Bell Canada said Tuesday 1.9 million customer account details were swiped by hackers – although stressed no payment card numbers or passwords were slurped. The nation's largest telco said it is working with Canadian police to figure out who was responsible for the disclosure of the customer email addresses, and phone numbers …

1. Alistair
    Windows

/hmmms.

At guess:

email addresses and phone numbers. and 1700 names.

This is what happens when marketing outsources its activities. There will be an FTP server. Somewhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only way to fix this...

Is to send the CEO of the company to prison if they have not followed reasonable protective measures.

There is no magic vest to protect everyone, but you need to stump up the cash to do the basics.

Sadly profit for megacorps at the expense of quality/choice for consumers and lack of choice seem to have created a fuck you environment which has been exploited.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RCMP cyber crime unit is no joke

Like the other upper echelon Canadian, mounted, law enforcement units they are mounted on mooseback. It's pretty impressive seeing a troupe taking down cyber-suspects on mooseback! Also, I'm hoping the authentication details for my Maple Syrup of the Month did not get nicked, or I'm hosed, eh.

HAHA! But I kid you, Canada. We love you and thank you for keeping Hollywood mostly Canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_actors_and_actresses

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not saved by the Bell

Leaked by the Bell

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Phone company has been leaking data for decades

Names, addresses, telephone numbers.

All this data was scattered about on a yearly basis, printed up in big thick books and tossed into driveways every April.

6. Mad Chaz

Bell Canada, where incompetence is the path to promotion

I had the misfortune to work for a Bell subsidiary in the past. The culture is basically "blame the underlings for the fact bosses can't even handle basic math like 2+2=4"

Boss didn't order enough material to do the job? Fire the poor guy doing the work for not finishing on time.

So not very surprising the security there is closer to Swiss cheese than brick wall. But I'm sure the person who made the decisions that led to this will find some poor smock under him to take the blame.

7. JaseCoulls

This happened before... and will happen again.

I wrote to the CCIRC in August of 2016 and pointed out a continuing problem where there's holes in their security, but Bell Canada denies it and nobody in their right mind wishes to help Bell Canada resolve it. My first and only attempt to help Bell Canada plug a Titanic sized hole of leaking data was in 2013. Everyone I spoke to, always denied there was a problem so I'd fight to get escalated. So, I eventually showed Sheilagh Malloy (after she refuted my claim as impossible), who was head of the Office of the Privacy Ombudsman that some username and password combos. She came down on me like a tonne of bricks, so I swore I'd never help Bell Canada again, and the holes in their security remained open. These days, nobody tells Bell Canada when there is a problem, for fear of reprisals, and that leads to an environment where Bell Canada customers are open to being hacked over and over.

8. SYS6182

Surprised it didn't come earlier.

I used to admin an environment inside their world. With just standard best efforts we passed third party audits as being the most secure environment in the organization. That shocked me at the time. I guess they never did anything to improve themselves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like