back to article Behold, auto-completing Android bug reports – because you're not very thorough

Auto-completion systems that attempt to finish your sentences when typing text messages or search queries can be a mixed blessing. Often, they save time. But they can also get in the way when they make incorrect guesses about intended input. In the context of software bug reporting, however, auto-completion – adding additional …

1. jake Silver badge

ObXKCD

https://xkcd.com/1834/

2. Jason Hindle

Anyone criticising my auto correct errors

Can go to he'll.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Terminator

Re: Anyone criticising my auto correct errors

Duck you, muddyfunster.

Icon is the closest thing to ITV's version of RoboCop.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Stop

Re: muddyfunster ?

I thought every fule new it was "Melonfarmer" ?

3. Captain DaFt

Eye half Noah problem you sing auto car wreck.

But voice tow tacks? Knees quirk.

4. Simon Harris

Auto-complete bug reports...

...because all the previous ones they received said "Just F'ing work, you sodding phone".

5. Steve Graham

Data slurp

Google will love this one.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Data slurp

Maybe it's concerns about what data will be slurped with the report that stops people reporting. I mean, I'd be extremely embarrassed if someone found out I'd been on the Daily Heil website when my Android bust.

6. handleoclast
    Alert

Mixed blessings

Google, autocomplete, bug reports, and mixed blessings. Hmmm, that reminds me of something I discovered a week ago, reported to the android team and was told it was a browser problem.

On an android phone...

1) Fire up chrome.

2) Go to mail.google.com (if you don't have a gmail account this will have to remain a thought experiment for you).

3) Sign in. Sign out. Shake it all about. Repeat a few times.

4) Go to mail.google.com. Note that it helpfully knows who you are (not so helpful for you if somebody has nicked your phone, because now they know your e-mail address) but don't sign in (yet). Well, there is a "sign out completely" option, but how many people bother with that? Maybe a few more now I've posted this.

5) Click on the "show password" icon (the eye with a line through it).

6) Now enter your password. Note how the autocomplete shows up. Watch, as you enter more characters of your password, how the autocomplete homes in on your password. If you have non-alpha characters near the start of your password the full password shows up in the autocomplete very quickly.

Whoops! The sign-in not only gives away your account's username (if you can't be arsed to sign out completely each time), it drastically reduces the entropy of your password. Paradoxically, the stronger your password (with several non-alpha characters) the more entropy it discards.

Very secure.

I wonder if there's an API for apps to interrogate the autocomplete dictionary. If there is, a malicious app (which could pass all playstore security tests) could drastically reduce the search space for your password. Especially if you've used a good password. How often does "k*hr}39rq" occur in ordinary text? Damn, now I have to change my gmail password.

Firefox is worse. Click on the "show password" icon and it shows your full password in a browser-generated autocomplete box (as well as popping up the soft keyboard autocomplete) without you having to type anything. Assuming you've previously logged into gmail using firefox, of course.

The android team tell me this is a browser issue, not an android one. I've repeated this test with IE on Linux and Windows, Edge on Windows, Chrome on Linux and Windows, and Konqueror on Linux and none of them exhibit this flaw. None of them exhibit this flaw because the Linux and Windows systems I tried it on have real keyboards, not a soft keyboard with autocomplete.

Since the android team tells me it's not an android problem, there's no reason why I shouldn't post the details here. At least that way some people get to learn there's a security hole in the thing. If any of you can be arsed to contact every browser app for android (there are a lot of them) then be my guest.

I expect responses telling me I'm an idiot and it really is a browser flaw. Or a gmail sign-in page flaw. Maybe you're right. After all, it's not like android, gmail and chrome are all produced by the same company whose development teams ought to have lines of internal communication unavailable to the rest of us. It's unreasonable of me to expect that informing one member of the triad of such a problem would result in them communicating internally to figure out what they could do to resolve a problem which seems to arise because of the interaction of all three of their products.

It's a good job I use the lock screen and have a decent password on that. The short time-out I set can make it a real pain to use sometimes, but it's necessary.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

90% of crash reports I submitted

(before I turned to the dark side, that is) were "nothing happened, I quit the app fair and square"

8. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Software bugs cost the US economy somewhere between $22.2 to $59.5 billion

Maybe that's a good reason for The Donald to issue another executive order that software must be fit for purpose, just as with most other products. The savings might pay for a new (fire)wall.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like