back to article Plutus Payroll pledges to pay IT contractors' wages within 72 hours

Embattled payroll company Plutus Payroll will soon start paying ~1,000 contractors again after an almost-two-weeks hiatus. The company has written to those owed money, saying the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) “has agreed to allow the release of the wages owed to our contractors.” “The ATO has written to the Commonwealth …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

contractors leaving - 'et tu Plutus, et tu?'

2. Adam JC

I still find it baffling how this company actually makes any money if they don't charge for services. What's their business model? How do they bring in actual revenue!?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Simplest profit model for an intermediary is to keep the money for a few days on a short term, fixed interest account.

1. DainB Bronze badge

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2335935

fascinating reading

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I used to work at a company that made a lot of money from holding a few million in a higher interest account for a few days, but that was when the base rate was like 5.5% and we were able to get 8-10% on a short term fixed account. It's very worthwhile if you can keep a float of a few million constantly on ~10% interest across the entire year.

These days the base rate is 0.25% and you'd struggle to get 1% interest. I would imagine that the economics mean that the administration costs of the banking movements would exceed the income from the interest, honestly. Doubt they are making much that way.

3. Jonathon Green
    Alert

Could it be...

...that they're using contractors money to provide a stake/float for something more lucrative (and hence more risky) than a short-term deposit account? If so what could *possibly* go wrong...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Could it be...

That's a possibility I suppose. If they always had a few million in their account at any time from the float, they could invest half of it in risky trades and pocket the gain.

That might also explain the tax authority's involvement.

2. mark 177

Re: Could it be...

Exactly that happened in Europe a few years ago. A friend of mine lost £ 40,000 when the firm went belly up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like